Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Dentist

My DD didn't get her first tooth until she was almost 11 months and she only has 4 teeth now at 14 months. When did you or are you taking them?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dentist

• Options
    I took mine at 14 months. She got two teeth right after her 1st bday. Then two more about a month later. She is now 18 months and has a 5th one that looks like it is trying to come in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    The ADA says kids should see the dentist at 1 year or 6 months after 1st tooth, whichever comes first. We just switched to a real pediatric dentist. It's great and a lot of things can happen if you wait til 2 or 3 as "regular" dentists recommend. Besides, it's better to take them young so they get used to seeing the dentist.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Our pedi suggested it at her 15 month appt yesterday.

My best friend is our dentist..she told me that it's really not necessary to get her in this early with 4 teeth and to make sure we're brushing (if you want to call it that since it's more sucking the toothpaste and chewing on the toothbrush) twice a day. She said if we think something is radically wrong, we're more than welcome to bring her in...so I think I'm going to reassess at age 2

• Options
    My insurance won't even put them on until they're 2.  I took DD at 3 1/2 for the 1st time.  I think that's pretty average and I was really able to talk her up and get her excited.  If I took DS, almost 2, I know he'd just freak out.
  • Options
    Both my dentist and DS' pediatrician said a dentist visit isn't necessary until they're 3, unless there is something that is abnormal or a concern.

I can't imagine bringing DS to the dentist!  He would never let a dentist near him - he would have a total meltdown!

• Options
    Thanks! I know she would have a total meltdown if I brought her in anytime in the near future. I know a pediatric dentist that a lot of my friend's recommend so I'll give her a call and see when she thinks we should come in. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We will not take him til after his 2 year pedi appt. The pedi only recommends we go earlier if there is an issue. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    FIL is a dentist. He doesn't think it is necessary before 3 unless there are problems and that a good pedi should pick up on any problems. We took DS to a pediatric dentist at about three. He did much better than I expected. DD came along to his last visit and was very intrigued. She has her first appointment scheduled for August. She will be almost 2.5 at that time.
  • Options
    There is a pediadontist in the practice that DH and I go to, and she will look at DD's teeth after my check-up while DD sits in my lap, but they don't actually schedule appointments for children under 3unless there are concerns.
    "Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • Options
    I took my DD a little after she turned one at the suggestion of her ped because she has a maxillary frenum and to get her used to the dental process. I had to pay for it but a local ped dental practice offered a Groupon for the first visit. Not sure if I will take her this year as she has no issues like others have said. I may wait until 3. Btw ped dental is part of the ACA so routine visits should be covered. Check with your insurance company.

https://cyberdentist.blogspot.com/2006/09/torn-maxillary-frenum-in-child.html?m=1

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    I just spoke to my dental hygienist about this Thurs. She said they usually recommend 3 unless there are issues. She also mentioned that sometimes pediatric dentist can be a little more "aggressive" when considering treatment because there isn't a ton of money to be made dealing with kids. Adult dentist more often take a "wait and see" approach (since they lose baby teeth anyway) with regards to cavaties etc. than pediatric dentist do. I may choose a pediatric dentist, but plan to use my dentist to get a 2nd opinion as needed.
  • Options
    Our pedi and my dentist both agreed to wait until 3, which we did.  I think that's a good approach because by then you can better reason with the child.  I was able to read DD books and show her some short video clips about the dentist, really get her excited and she did great!  Looks forward to going again!  

Now our pediatric dentist on the other hand would tell us to go when the first tooth popped through, but you have to consider the source on that one!
  • Options
    I actually spoke with one of the attending physicians at my work today (who is also a pediatric dentist) and he said that a baby's first visit should be at 6 months! My DD just popped her first two teeth a month ago, so I thought I was totally good, but I guess we're behind ;)

I made an appointment for this week - and, because I think it's basically to get the child used to someone looking in their mouth and for educating the parents, the first visit with this particular dentistry office is free.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our pediatrician recommended going once teeth start coming in, and the pediatric dentist we chose had a similar recommendation.  I think DS had 4 or so teeth at his first appointment, and coming up on his 3rd appointment, he's working on his second set of molars.  Nothing major happens, they take a peek in there and see what's going on, and reiterate the basics of dental hygiene.  

It seems like there are widely varying recommendations on when to start.  
  • Options
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends first dental visits by age 1. The first visit is just a well-check, to answer your questions and usually a fluoride application.  It is quick and not scary. If they find something of concern, much better to find it then rather than at age 3 when serious dental work would be needed.  
      General dentists usually say age 3 because they weren't trained well for kids under 3, not because that is what is best for the child.  The ADA recommends first visit at one year, too:  https://www.ada.org/2057.aspx  Some dentists will do a well-check and fluoride varnish application for kids under 3 if you ask, even if that isn't their typical policy.  Or ask them for a referral to a dentist who will see young kids.  

I'm a big "ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" person.  Especially for dental work!

• Options
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends first dental visits by age 1. The first visit is just a well-check, to answer your questions and usually a fluoride application.  It is quick and not scary. If they find something of concern, much better to find it then rather than at age 3 when serious dental work would be needed.  
      General dentists usually say age 3 because they weren't trained well for kids under 3, not because that is what is best for the child.  The ADA recommends first visit at one year, too:  https://www.ada.org/2057.aspx  Some dentists will do a well-check and fluoride varnish application for kids under 3 if you ask, even if that isn't their typical policy.  Or ask them for a referral to a dentist who will see young kids.  

I'm a big "ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" person.  Especially for dental work!

This, exactly. We went a week before DD's first birthday, and she had one tooth. Went back for her 18 mo check up, and will continue every 6 mos for life! I'm a great believer in dental care. Also, the dentist had great tips on how to care for her teeth, which were really helpful.
  • Options

We took DD at 18 months.  She only had 4 teeth at that time.  It's really no big deal.  They just took a real quick peek inside her mouth, talked to us about how to keep her teeth healthy and then gave her a new toothbrush, stickers, and a bouncy ball.

They told us unless they see a serious problem that the visits are really just for practice at this age.  I think they told us that they don't do an actual cleaning until age 3.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine said at 2-3 years, or whenever they can sit patiently while the hygienist works. Practicing will certainly help.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"