Cincinnati Babies

Cincinnati Natural Moms (Well, all moms)

Is anyone out there planning a natural childbirth? Or, do you plan on cloth diapering? Is anyone a seasoned breast feeding mom? We are pregnant with our second and I am so eager to take a childbirth class, simply to build the friendships that we did last time. It would be crazy to take a class at only 8 weeks. I'd just like to meet some people that are interested in some of the things that I loved about our first. Even if you are just slightly entertaining the thought of going natural, if you are planning a C-section but are excited to breast feed or if you are having an epi and have insight or questions about anything please introduce yourself so us Cincinnati moms, regardless of birth plan, can meet online. I'm looking for a good breast feeding class/ support group. I was not successful with our first and I really want to BF the second. Thanks for your help.

Re: Cincinnati Natural Moms (Well, all moms)

• Hi there. I would suggest checking out a store in Montgomery by the name of Blue Cocoon. It is owned by a IBCLC/RN and I believe she has a breastfeeding support group that meets there. I have heard lots of good things about the shop. I breastfed my dd until 15 months without a whole lot of issue once we settled into it. I am having a repeat C-section this time, but I do plan on breastfeeding again as well as attempting a better job at cd'ing. This board is kinda quiet, you might check out the breastfeeding board. Congrats on baby #2!
  • Hey there! We did both cloth diapering and breastfeeding (well, I exclusively pumped for a year, anyway) with our first and plan to with the second, as well. I delivered at Bethesda North and the lactation consultants were amazing, it just didn't work out for us. I hope to "actually" breastfeed this time!
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello! I am planning a Med-Free VBAC with my second child due at the end of December. I successfully BF my daughter for 2 years after an emergency C-section and I am looking forward to BF this baby too.  One thought for you is to join a local LLL group. I know I've heard "bad" things about some but I really enjoyed meeting the ladies in my group. I first attended a meeting when DD was about 6 weeks old and it was nice to have that support. This time around it is nice to know I have people to call on with questions or issues early on.

We also use cloth diapers for our kiddos as well.  It sounds like you could also have some things in common with some moms from the Attachment Parenting board so check that out as well. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • I started out BF my 7 week old, but am now pumping.  We use cloth diapers at home (Bum Genius 4.0 and Freetimes).  I think Tri Health offers breastfeeding classes, but I did not take it.
  • You may like the Family Enrichment Center. I found them through my hypnobirthing class. https://www.theplaceforfamilies.com/
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would love to connect with other natural moms and moms-to-be.  I strive to live an all-natural lifestyle and hope to have an all-natural pregnancy and delivery.
  • Hi. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant almost 9 weeks. I have 2 children and have attempted to go natural with both of them and attempted to breastfeed both of them as well. I have been looking for other pregnant women who share the same things as you do. I am dead set on having a natural childbirth this time around. I almost made it with my dd but didn't Sad I want to try cloth diapers but don't know where to start. I was thinking about going to that store in montgomery. they offer a cloth diaper education type class and i plan to go there when i start breastfeeding or maybe a little before. I know some hospitals offer a breaatfeeding class/support group as well.
  • Hey! My plan is to go all natural. I would love to do a home water birth but I have some health complications that prevent a home birth with this pregnancy. If you haven't watch The Business of Being Born you really should! It is a fantastic documentary about childbirth, home births, drug free birth, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • We are 24 wks along with our first and are hoping to do everything all natural. To prepare, we're taking a Bradley method class, which we love. I found the information for the class on the cincinnati doulas association website.

Good luck!

erinmer
  • Hi! My LO is 4.5 months old. We tried for natural (at the Family Beginnings birth center) but had some complications so ended up with a C-section. Same with breast feeding. We tried... and tried but complications with that also. Happy to say we have been able to cloth diaper just fine! If you're near downtown Cinci I'd recommend checking out Park + Vine. They have CD and babywearing classes and lots of natural mom and baby products. One of my favorite places to shop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my child three months ago.  I was able to go natural, non medicated.  I also EBF and cloth diaper.  So, crunchy mama I am.  I didn't take any classes but I had a lot of assistance from my midwife who helped with the breastfeeding.  My son was born 3 weeks early and would have slept to death if it were up to him.  He wasn't awake long enough to get him to latch and eat.  Then when he finally woke up a bit, he wouldn't latch.  The breastfeeding thing was the hardest.  I thought because I went natural and non medicated that he would just "get it" and breastfeeding would be a breeze.  Not so.  

One lactaction consultant I saw really helped me by just telling me that it's okay.  I was feeding my child (with a syringe..and sometimes with the help of a nipple shield), and my job was to do nothing but skin to skin.  I walked around my house like Hugh Heffner and after 3-4 weeks, now he even eats while I lay down in bed asleep!  It's great.  He's pretty much self latching now, I just have to throw the boob his way and he's eating.  I'd be happy to give you more tips.

As far as cloth, I started out using the old fashion cloth when he was a newborn.  It was fine, but I probably wouldn't cloth if I had to do it that way 100%.  Now that he's over 10 lbs we've got him in the pocket diapers.  So far my fave are the Bum Genius velcro, and the Lotusbumz.  These are our go to diapers as soon as they are all clean.  Even my husband cleans out the poo with our diaper sprayer.  I do most of the laundry as I'm still home, but he's done it and didn't have any complaints.  I had to write down a help sheet so he didn't put fabric softners or anything in.

• It's true. This place is awesome. They hold breast feeding classes as well as a boat load of classes for expecting moms/couples, new parents and so forth. They're a great resource. My obgyn recommended the place because we are new to the area (moved here this January at 6 months pregnant). We moved from Portland Oregon where having a natural birth is like, the easiest and most supported thing in the world...so it was a bit of a shock to move here and have so few little resources available. Definitely check out CFEC. Also, Park + Vine in OTR hosts cloth diapering classes. Check out their website for the schedule.
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• We did CD for 6 months exclusively. Now we are taking a break because we have to strip the diapers. She's been having some diaper rashes develop quickly and I think those are to blame. We did prefolds with covers so it's easier to separate. 

I BF for 6 months with supplementation. I had low supply from the beginning (literally...in the hospital) so I didn't have much choice. Then she just wasn't hungry in the mornings and was fed before I got home so I couldn't keep up since her demand wasn't there. Of course, now she's transitioned to solids.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"