September 2013 Moms

Car-seats and shopping carts

MegStarkMegStark member
edited February 2014 in September 2013 Moms
Do you use your shopping cart as a carrier for LO's car-seat? I saw an article today that got me thinking about it.

imageimage

Car-seats and shopping carts 168 votes

Yes
7% 12 votes
No
15% 26 votes
Only if I put the car-seat in the "basket" part, not the front.
64% 108 votes
Depends on what store I'm at (if the cart fits it well)
10% 17 votes
SS
2% 5 votes

Re: Car-seats and shopping carts

• Not only does my car seat manual say NOT to use the cart for shopping, it is dangerous and can damage the seat. I've actually seen a cart fall over on the baby because of this.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I chose "depends on what store I'm at" but this is the blog I came across. There are a few stores I go to (Sam's being one) that the seat actually fits just right and actually "latches" onto the cart. I may re-think doing this though. My LO likes baby wearing so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just never really thought much about it since everyone I know does it.  

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I'll admit that with DS1 I put the car seat on the shopping cart all the time.  This time I only put it in the basket part of the shopping cart or I wear him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wear him in the Ergo when we go to the store.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Basket part. I cringe, also, when I see a baby in the top part, but can't bring myself to say anything.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• If I am running in for a few items I will clip her car seat into her stroller and use the basket below for groceries.

If I am alone with LO and have a large shopping trip I will wear her.

If DH is with me I will either wear, use the stroller, or put her car seat in the basket part of the cart while DH uses another for groceries.

I don't care if it looks like the car seat can fit on the basket it is NOT safe and I have seen and heard waaaay too many stories of babies getting injured and even dying because of this.

Knowing all of this I still would have a hard time approaching another parent and telling them what they are doing has potential to harm their baby and the effectiveness of their car seat. In today's world you just don't know how someone would react.

• @starscream - what cover do you have and what age did you start putting LO in it? My little girl was late (birthday 10/10) but I'm looking forward to her being ready to sit in the seat. I need to find a cover though. 

imageimage

• I will either baby carry or use his stroller. If I am using his stroller I get just a few things or go with h so he can push the cart while I take care of DS
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loppy19 said:
    MegStark said:
    I chose "depends on what store I'm at" but this is the blog I came across. There are a few stores I go to (Sam's being one) that the seat actually fits just right and actually "latches" onto the cart. I may re-think doing this though. My LO likes baby wearing so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just never really thought much about it since everyone I know does it.  
    By "latching" your car seat on top of your cart you could be damaging the latching mechanism for when it is latched into your car. It also does not mean that you carrier is safe on top of the car seat. I'm sure that if you read your manual it will explicitly tell you to not use the top of the seat as a place to set your baby carrier. 

I did this with DD and she fell off the top of the cart. I also thought it was safe because I heard a "click." Car seats are not designed to be safe on top of carts. I luckily grabbed her car seat just before she hit the ground. Children have died from this. It is a big deal. Please stop putting your carrier on top of the cart. 
    When I said "it's not a big deal" I meant that it's not a big deal that I'm not going to use the cart anymore. My child likes baby wearing so that's what I'll do instead of putting the seat in the basket. 
    Just wanted to clarify. I didn't mean it's not a big deal to put my child in a dangerous situation. 

imageimage

• I like this cart cover since it has pillows on each side in case your LO isn't really sitting up quite yet: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11476747&cp=2255957.2273443.2255983.3225452&parentPage=family

I have one I got from Target that doesn't have the pillows. I put DD in it one time and had to prop her up on both sides with my reusable shopping bags because she isn't sitting up unsupported yet. I'll use it again when she's sitting up better.

Jamie

• I don't have a car, so I don't use a car seat very often. NYC FTW!
    EDD 9/3/13
  • If I am running in for a few items I will clip her car seat into her stroller and use the basket below for groceries.

Have you ever had anyone from the store challenge you about this? My husband swears it would look like we are planning on shoplifting. FFS, it is an open basket! I want to shake him sometimes. :-/
    photo 86a9bed8-fe83-44f4-8233-6822762e6347_zpsc28c6977.jpg
  • Tally879Tally879 member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for sharing that article, I usually baby wear but have put his car seat in the basket part.  I'm going to stop doing that as well.  

Have you ever had anyone from the store challenge you about this? My husband swears it would look like we are planning on shoplifting. FFS, it is an open basket! I want to shake him sometimes. :-/

My stroller has clips on the handles that allow me to hang the diaper bag so the basket underneath is completely empty. I have never had a problem shopping with the stroller, but I think it might be different if I had her bag and blankets covering up the products I was purchasing. I don't do anything sneaky so maybe that's why I am not worried about it. FTR, I have used the stroller for shopping in retail stores and grocery stores and have had zero problems.

I do that, too. I also take one of my reusable shopping bags in and put the groceries in it while holding it on my arm like a purse. It's not any different than using a handbasket and easier to carry. I think when you have a baby and a stroller, people understand you put things where you can. We also live near Austin, where they've banned plastic grocery bags so it's more normal to see people with reusable ones.

Jamie

• Tally879 said:
    Thank you for sharing that article, I usually baby wear but have put his car seat in the basket part.  I'm going to stop doing that as well.  

You're welcome! I also didn't realize how dangerous putting them in the "basket" part is. 

imageimage

• cputman200cputman200 member
    edited February 2014
    @megstark Ok I am confused, I know to not put the car seat in the top child seat portion of the buggy. Did you find info that it's not safe to put them in the portion groceries should go?

Eta if I am making a big trip I put the car seat in the large lower area. If is just for a small trip I put her n the stroller and use the lower stroller basket.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I chose "depends on what store I'm at" but this is the blog I came across. There are a few stores I go to (Sam's being one) that the seat actually fits just right and actually "latches" onto the cart. I may re-think doing this though. My LO likes baby wearing so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just never really thought much about it since everyone I know does it.  
    It's not only about it latching, but the distance to fall and the center or gravity/stability of the cart in general. I was pushing a cart one time through a snowy parking lot and the front wheel fell off. Before I even knew it, the whole thing was on its side. Thankfully this was before I had kids, but it scared me enough the way it was.

I had my DS sitting in and buckled in the child seat in the cart and was trying to get to my car in the parking lot. There was maybe a half an inch of snow on the ground and my whole cart almost tipped over. I have no idea how I righted it in time but it scared me so badly I know now not to take the cart in the snow. My poor DS was shaking (he's 2 btw, just in case my signature doesn't show for anyone, it wasn't my September baby!)

I usually wear DD but I didn't know it was unsafe to put the car seat in the groceries portion of the cart. Good to know! I can't wait until she can sit up in the child seat, she's small and rather floppy so I'm nervous to prop her too much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• What am I missing, where do some of yall see it wasn't safe to put the car seat in the large portion of the buggy?

• Thanks @twolittlewheels I do too or use my stroller but reading back thru posts it sounds like some are saying that part isn't safe either.

I was just wondering where that was coming from.

• I'll admit that with DS1 I put the car seat on the shopping cart all the time.  This time I only put it in the basket part of the shopping cart or I wear him.

Same here. But DD's car seat "fit" up front and DS's does not which is mostly why I don't do it anymore.
  • @loppy19 thank you. I agree something could happen to the buggy like big kids hanging and pulling it over but I think I will continue to do that until she gets the head and core strength to sit in the upper portion for a long period.

• I'm 4'11", there is no way I could ever see over that sucker

imagephoto b8nyaejpg.gifImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"