VBAC

shocked that i got my VBAC! (LONG)

I lurked here posted a few times, but I have been active over on 2IF and then PGIF.  

Back story:  twin loss at 19 weeks and was induced to deliver them.  It was thankfully a quick delivery.  Then I was blessed to get PG again with DS#1 and I had partical placenta previa that didn't move so we had a c/s at 39 weeks on the dot.  My water broke that morning so he was coming either way.  It took a long time to get PG again and we ended up doing IVF twice and were blessed with another boy. Here is his birth story! Oh and to add I had gestational diabetes so we were worried about him getting to big.  FYI: this is a long post!

At 3:30pm we had an u/s and my 38 week check up.  The u/s ran late, but we found out that Jesse's fluid was good, he was apx 7 lbs 12 oz and had hair!  Then we had to wait forever to see my OB.  It was almost 5PM at this point.  My OB checked me and I was dilated to a 2 still, but 50% effaced.  I was discouraged, because I had been having contractions on and off all day every day...it seemed.  So, we had a good talk and came up with the plan that we would set a c/s date around the 40 week mark and if he came before that we were going forward with the VBAC.  Off to the scheduler's office we went and to my dismay she had already left for the day.  I knew it was only a matter of calling in the morning, but I really wanted to have that end date on the calendar so we could start planning and preparing.

DH & I hop in the car and I had a mini break down.  I was just so disappointed and felt like DH &  my OB were pushing me to wait to do the VBAC when I knew this boy was big and I was so scared it would end in a c/s after laboring.  We decided to run some errands since we were kid free for the evening.  I walked around this huge warehouse decor store for a good while.

By 8:30 my feet were up and I was watching TV on the couch with DH.  At 9:30pm I was hungry and was having some regular contractions.  I chose something spicey because "hey, it could only help bring on the labor!"  By 10:30 we were seriously timing them and they were regularly coming at 5-7 minutes apart as a friend suggested we did the baby making dance and I am glad we did b/c that would be the last time for DH for a while!   I still didn't want to get my hopes up that this baby boy might be making his way into the world, so I tried not to get excited.  But by 11:30 we decided to call the after hours nurse line because we hadn't even discussed with my OB when we should go into L&D.  The nurse was sweet and said when they got to 3-5 minutes apart or my water broke to call back and then head in.  I did the usual lay on my left side and drink water and it didn't seem to help; she also suggested taking a bath or shower to relax and see if the contractions stopped.  So at a quarter till midnight I took a shower and did my hair, thank goodness b/c my hair was gross! Then at midnight we call DH's parents to come stay with DS#1 so we could go to the hospital as my contractions were 3-5 min apart and some were piggy backing.  I was so worried that it was a false alarm and that I was putting everyone out of sleep and we would be back home the next morning with this baby still in my belly. 

By 1ish I was hooked to the contraction monitoring machine and averaging  2-5 minutes apart.  It seemed like forever before a nurse came in to check me and she said my cervix was funneled, but that I was a 3 on the outside and a 4 on the inside.  During the check she must have stirred stuff up and the blood show started.  She could tell I was uncomfortable and didn't want to send me home and said that she would call it a 4 and the blood show meant we were admitted to L&D.  This was 2:30am at this point.  I was still in denial that this baby boy was on his way OUT!

All my girlfriends said if you are getting an Epidural don't be a hero and just get it ASAP!  So when the nurse asked about pain meds I said send the epi guy in!  I was very uncomfortable and knew I wanted one anyway.  Things seem to be either in slow motion in the hospital or super hyper speed!  By 3:30 the epidural was in and Jesse was still head down. I tried to sleep for the next bit, but it was so surreal to think it was finally happening I was having another baby.  My little family was growing and this was it the day we had prayed for for so long.

At 6:30 am the on call OB came in to see us.  Ironically, this whole pregnancy I have see my Dr. L in the office and the on call OB was always Dr. M when we had our SCH scare and the preterm labor!  Dr. M came in and checked me.  She was surprised I was admitted at a 3cm, but realized that I was a 4cm with the funneling.  We decided to break my water with a slow leak because they didn't want me as a VBAC to progress too quickly.  We all thought that Jesse wouldn't come on Dr. M's shift and Dr. L was the next OB on call at 1pm. 

I tried to sleep again and was able to doze on and off a little.  But at 7:30am I got the whim whams as my family calls it or the HANGER as its going around on FB but basically low blood sugar.   They checked my blood sugar and seeing as it was a 75 I was able to eat some jello and some cranberry juice.  It really helped make me not feel crazy anymore.  Then at 8:30am they checked me and I was finally getting moving at a solid 5cm!!  We started me on the lowest pitocin drip.  Things really picked up.  9:30am I was a 6 cm, 100% effaced and Jesse had dropped to a 0 station! I was told to call when I felt the pressure to poop even between contractions.  At 10am I couldn't wait any longer and called even though it had only been 30 minutes.  DH was looking at me like I was crazy for calling the nurse again.  I even told my nurse that I swear I felt the pressure for 3 contractions before calling.  To ALL our shock I was dilated to 9.5 cm and Jesse is coming faster than we thought.  DH was so funny when she said 9.5cm.  He sat up so quick, rubbed his face and said "I guess I should put my shoes on and pee!"  LOL!  We were both a bit overwhelmed that this was happening!

I did a couple practice pushes because Jesse was still up high and thankfully when I pushed it he did move down and the OB, Dr. M, was on her way.   After 17 minutes of pushing this little guy entered the world.  I am amazed my body was able to do this and I didn't watch, but DH did.  He was amazed and cried when he was born!  DH is the most amazing husband. We had fun years as a young married couple before the loss of the twins.  When we lost those babies the strength in him amazed me.  I don't think I can think about giving birth to any of my babies without thinking about all 3 of my very different experiences.  The day DS#1 was born DH became a father to a living boy and the gentleness and patience he has is amazing.  The day Jesse was born DH was my strength again.  When I was pushing and feeling like my insides were coming out with Jesse he would look at me with amazement and kept saying:
jeanna you are doing it!
keep it up!
this is it!
TMI warnging but when pushing I had to mentally give it up.  I had a small hemorrhoid that appeared a month before Jesse was born and when pushing I could feel it getting worse, but when I finally mentally said screw it and get this baby out he came out in 5 pushes.  

I think it would have taken me way longer to push Jesse out if I didn't have my husband as my cheerleader.  So, a very long to me, short to the staff 17 minutes later I had a squealing baby boy in my arms!!!  They put him on my chest and all the gook that I thought was going to be gross, didn't smell, didn't feel weird, but was so amazing because MY NEW BABY was under there! I wanted to stare at this new person that was now in my life.  Jesse was amazing. He looked so much like DS#1, but so different.  I love that they will look like brothers, but still be individuals!

I spent the next 40 minutes getting stitched up and holding Jesse.  I told DH that I was sorry he couldn't hold him till I was stitched up.  I had a 2nd degree tear and my insides were pretty much torn apart.  Jesse was my distraction, he was my prize!  He is my miracle IVF baby and is so wonderful.  
As for recovery.  The first week was pretty good and bad.  It was a whole different kind of recovery. Yes I was up and moving way more than after a c/s, but i was so SOAR down there and the hemorrhoids were SO bad.  The sitz bath everyone said that would make  my girl parts better made the hemorrhoids worse.  Here is what I found that worked best.  Take a nice hot bath for about 15 minutes then I would typically nurse Jesse laying down in the bed with an ice pack on my bum.  Get some prescription cream from your OB that worked way better than over the counter.  FINALLY, at about 6 weeks I have stopped bleeding and for the most part feeling like myself again, honestly I am still not ready for sex but it is only getting better every day.

If you made it this long, thank you for reading.  I know I always loved the long detailed labor stories to pass the time!  GL to you all! 
TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16

Re: shocked that i got my VBAC! (LONG)

• Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    December Siggy Challenge:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

imageimage
  • Congratulations on your baby boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Your story brought me to tears!
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Aww!  This is an awesome story.  I loved reading every word.  Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Congrats!! I'm hoping for a VBAC but I'm terrified!
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Great job, and congrats!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"