Love it
0% 1 vote
Hate it
95% 137 votes
Like, but NMS
4% 6 votes

Re: Salacia

• Options
    I think it sounds pretty but not sure it's a name I would like for a person, likely it would grow on me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's ok, I appreciate any feedback!

I myself am not in love with it,  I found it when searching for ocean themed middle names...I love the meaning more than the name itself.  :-)

• Options
    Well, I was reading that as if it were Italian or Spanish (my first thought was Salice Salentino, a kind of wine - random, I know), which might be...sort of okay, if it's a family name or something, but if you're pronouncing it like "salacious," then wow, that is so not a name anyone should use for their daughter.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    4BoysAndABaby4BoysAndABaby member
    edited February 2014

No, not salacious.

SA-lay-SHA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salacia_(mythology)

*My link wont work no matter how many times I edit it. Salacia is a Roman goddess.

• Options

Salacious.

No.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

No, not salacious.

SA-lay-SHA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salacia_(mythology)

I know. But I still thought of salacious when I first read it too.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

The point is, you're pronouncing the first two syllables exactly like the first two syllables of salacious, which is no bueno.  Also, I don't know where you're getting the pronunciation, but that's not how it would be pronounced in Latin.  I'm not saying it's not a legit name, and I dig mythology too, but you have to think about how it's going to sound to modern English speakers.
  • Options

I totally get the association when you read the name - that's why I was just throwing it out there for opinons.

I like Orabelle as well, but that doesn't sound right to be either. "ora-" just sounds like oral to me. 

• Options
    capulet said:

The point is, you're pronouncing the first two syllables exactly like the first two syllables of salacious, which is no bueno.  Also, I don't know where you're getting the pronunciation, but that's not how it would be pronounced in Latin.  I'm not saying it's not a legit name, and I dig mythology too, but you have to think about how it's going to sound to modern English speakers.

No, I get it.  It was just a name I stumbled upon while looking for ocean/water associated names. I found it while researching Amphitrite.

I do think that maybe people in the U.S. have become just a *little* perverted though, lol. ;-)

• Options

I totally get the association when you read the name - that's why I was just throwing it out there for opinons.

I like Orabelle as well, but that doesn't sound right to be either. "ora-" just sounds like oral to me. 

Orabelle is bad.

What about

Annabel

Isobel

Isadora

Oona (pron like Una)

Orla

Odessa

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

Orabelle is bad.

What about

Annabel

Isobel

Isadora

Oona (pron like Una)

Orla

Odessa

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was just looking for uncommon names that have an ocean/beach theme.  I was just trying to find one I could use as a middle name.
  • Options
    capulet said:

No, I get it.  It was just a name I stumbled upon while looking for ocean/water associated names. I found it while researching Amphitrite.

I do think that maybe people in the U.S. have become just a *little* perverted though, lol. ;-)

My reaction had nothing to do with being perverted. They sound very similar and I wanted to point that out.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I didn't mean YOU were perverted....I just meant that a lot of minds jump in the gutter when a name sounds like anything sexually associated.  I am guilty of the same thing.  I didn't mean to offend you.

I am just going to go bang my head against a wall now, lol.

• Options
    For ocean-related names, maybe look at the names of the Nereids (I thought of Thetis first, but she had 49 sisters too):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereid
  • Options
    Sounds like a skin disease.
  • Options
    I don't like this spelling, but it reminds me of Saleisha from America's Next Top Model. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    When I first saw it, I said as suh lay chee ah. It sounded like an Italian village.

Don't like either pronunciation
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    MauiBliss said:
    What about Eurydice?

I will have to look that up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"