February 2014 Moms
Options

Etiquette help needed!

My Aunt's parents (related by marriage) are wonderful, sweet people. They are always considerate and thoughtful when it comes to my family and I. They are also very generous when it comes to life events. Upon hearing that I had given birth to K, they decided to send a card and check to us. It was a very sweet gesture and it is very much appreciated that they again, took the time to think of us. 

My dilemma here is this: The card they send was to Mr. & Mrs. David S_____, and the card was titled to myself and David. I'm not married to a David. H's name is Michael. Ok, NBD. But then I look at the check and it is made out to "Nikka" S____.  So, Nikka is a "family" nick name that was given to me and no way resembles my real name - Dominique. So, I now have a card made out to the wrong Husband and a check that is uncashable. 

I am sending a thank you card because as I said - really it's the fact that these wonderful people took the time out to acknowledge the birth of our son that is important here, but my question is - Do I mention anything about the check? If so, how do I go about doing this?

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
— The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

Re: Etiquette help needed!

• Options
    Def talk to your bank first. If they won't cash it, then yes say something. They're going to notice the check isn't cashed eventually and that'd be an even more awkward conversation.
  • Options
    You should be fine to cash the check - like PP said, you may just need to sign both names. As for the thank you card, just ignore the "David" part and mention how grateful you and Michael are for their generosity, nbd.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    armalan12 said:

Talk to your bank. I'm Amanda, but go by Mandy. They take my Mandy checks no problem. Sometimes I have to sign both names.

Yeah DH is Joseph but goes by Joey, they take checks with any variation of his name. Go in and ask the teller about it- I would bet that they'll take it!

Thank goodness she made the check out to Nikka instead of David- that might be a mess to figure out!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I agree with PP...but...you might have a problem with his name being completely wrong. It really is up to the bank but it may be hard to cash.

I got the impression that the card is to the wrong name, but the check is just to her?
    If the check is for Nikka and David, you may have some problems cashing it

• Options
    Thanks Ladies - I will bring it and talk to the bank and see what they say first. 

@ziggy903 - Yep, it was made out to just me which is much better than to me AND "David!"

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”

• Options
    Agree with PP. My legal name is Jacqueline, but almost all checks I've ever gotten (bday, etc) have always been written out to Jackie. FWIW-I've had checks written to different spellings, too-(Jacki, Jacky, etc) and I have never had a problem!

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    I'm thinking it will be fine too. I've had someone make a check out to Tracy (I'm Stacie) and the teller didn't bat an eye.

• Options
    The only thing that concerns me is that my legal name is no where close to the nick name :/

• Options
    I would take it to the bank. after I got married, I switched banks and accounts so the new bank didn't have a record of my maiden name. I got a check recently and someone put my maiden name and I thought it was going to be a huge ordeal but it wasn't. I just signed it first name, maiden name, last name. I'm thinking as long as the last name is correct, they won't care because you'll have ID and a signature to match on file. they may just have you sign it Dominique "Nikka" S_____.
  • Options
    I think Nikka is close enough to Dominique that I wouldn't question the nickname. It's not completely different, like they made the check out to Joan or something.

• Options
    i would just try to cash it and if there's an issue, maybe you could talk to your aunt about it?
  • Options

I'm thinking it will be fine too. I've had someone make a check out to Tracy (I'm Stacie) and the teller didn't bat an eye.

My name is Caitlin, and one Christmas, my aunt decided my name was catland. No joke. Went through no problem. I think you'll be fine.

catland!!! dying!! =))
  • Options
    I go by my middle name and people frequently make checks out to that name, even though it's not on my bank account. Don't think I've ever had a problem, even though it's clearly nowhere close to my first name!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"