Working Moms

suggestions on how to approach manager re: working part time

I work for corporate.  I have a so-so relationship with my manager.  My manager is very green and I never know how he is going to react.

I want to work part time which would mean going from 40+ hours per week to 32 hours per week.  At my work everyone claims they work SOOO many hours...but it seems they often count long lunches as working...  but I digress...

I don't even want a decrease in work load.  I just want the expectation to be set that I am in the office and available for short days.  Currently I am in the office 8-4 and eat lunch at desk or have working lunches.  I'd love to shave a additional 1 to 1.5 hours off each day.

It would mean a 20% decrease in salary (which is financially manageable).  It would be a better quality of life.  As far as work I think it would force me to be more focused.  Work-life balance is thrown around a lot at my workplace.  Managers buy in to this to varying degrees.

So...any suggestions on how I can get my boss to buy in to the idea that I'll do the same workload but the expectation is that I am available only 32 hours out of the week. And I'd be will to flex those hours to meet business demands.  Of course I don't want the outcome to be "well if you can get your workload done in 32 hours then clearly we need to give you more scope!"

Re: suggestions on how to approach manager re: working part time

• Promise to do the same work load in 8 fewer hours per week for only 80% of the pay?   I would not sign up for that.

I'd start the discussion that you'd like to cut back your hours for a 20% pay cut, but you'd really have to stick to 32 hours per week (flexible depending on the needs of the company).  I would not offer to do the same amount of work.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We must work the same place and have the same boss - and I just started here in December!

I agree with not offering to do the same work load.  I would just say that for personal reasons/family balance (something along those lines, can't think of better wording) you would like to scale back to 32 hours/week and see what happens.   Just out of curiosity, what would your new hours be?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I just replied to your other post on SAHM board. You mentioned the company may be scaling back. I would approach it from the company cost saving perspective.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I also wouldn't agree to do the same amount of work. 

Just out of curiosity, if he says "no," does that mean that you will continue to work FT, or that you will quit?

• I figure I'd work 5 days per week (most people work 4 days but I'd probably want the shorter workday), starting at 8 or 9 AM and working 6.5 hours from there.  Figure 830-3?

I'm not ready to up and quit but work is so frustrating right now that I'm beginning to think of SAH as an option.

I hear you on not agreeing to same workload.  Not sure how I would approach that.  Maybe just tell him, "let's see how it goes and as projects finish up we'll see where my workload is and if it makes sense to add anything more"

• *sparky**sparky* member
    edited February 2014
    Just a couple if things based on my experience...

Don't ask for a 20% paycut to keep the same workload, even if you really can do it in less time. You are likely to end up resenting this and you are really not doing yourself justice when you look for your next job.

You say everyone loves to talk about how many hours they put in. If that is really the culture is it going to work for you to scoot out of there at 3:30? I work in a similar environment - everyone's a martyr and my boss loves to talk about his late nights in the office, etc. I am part time and leave at 4, supposedly. But someone always stops in to see me at 3:45 because they know I'm leaving soon and if I make he mistake if walking by my boss's office on my wait out he'll ask a "quick question" that ends up taking 20 minutes. So just be honest with yourself as to whether this will really work in your office and whether you have the guts to say "sorry, I have to go. Let's catch up tomorrow" when you need to.

I have thought about working 4 shorter days instead of 3 8-hour days, but it is so hard to get out of the office some days that I am better off having days off when I am unreachable.

You say you are frustrated with your job to the point of wanting to SAH - will this fix that or just allow you to tolerate the frustration a little better? I work in a really bad work environment and being there 5 days a week made me crazy. Having two days of minimal contact with the office allows me to relax enough that I can deal with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"