October 2014 Moms
Options

Another WWYD Post: Telling Parents

caranicholecaranichole member
edited February 2014 in October 2014 Moms
If you recall from past posts, we did not get great responses from our parents in the past when we announced our pregnancies. That being said, I am starting to think about how I want to announce my pregnancy to family and friends. Normally we have called my ILs and told my parents face to face and then we've made an simple announcement on Facebook - not a big deal at all. 

This time, I am wondering if it's even worth it to tell my family first? Especially if they are going to react that way again. To recap, my mom gave me the silent treatment for a while and ILs actually had the nerve to say that it was a horrible problem. So I was thinking I may just post to Facebook or my blog and everyone will just find out with the rest of the world. I know that would step on some toes but i'm mentally preparing to respond to bad reactions and let them know they lost their privileges to a special vip announcement last go round.

Eta: grammar - nothing major

Re: Another WWYD Post: Telling Parents

• Options
    AlliBallezaAlliBalleza member
    edited February 2014

I think you should do things how you did it last time. The responses might not be what you want, but there is a level of respect that you need to show your family.

If a crisis happened, I bet your parents and in laws would be the first to do everything they can before the majority of FB friends would.

I know it's hard. ::hugs::

imageSoon to be San Diego Mommy! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I think you should do things how you did it last time. The responses might not be what you want, but there is a level of respect that you need to show your family.

If a crisis happened, I bet your parents and in laws would be the first to do everything they can before the majority of FB friends would.

I know it's hard. ::hugs::

I completely disagree with this.  Just because they're family does not mean they should be able to get a free pass you treat you poorly.

OP, going out of your way to let them know doesn't seem warranted to me.  If you want to do it for you then do. But don't do it just because it's family and that's just how things are done. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is tough...I'm sorry your family sucks.  That being said, family is just blood.  Just because you are related doesn't entitle them to special treatment if they are going to be unsupportive and even mean about your announcement. 

Announce to the important, supportive people in your life.  Make it fun, do it how you want to.  If your family finds out from that - well good for them.  I'm a little bitchy about this so I say just tell your family when you start showing and they start wondering. 

Family doesn't exempt people from being polite or excuse being an ass.  You aren't required to tell them first.  Especially since they are clearly repeat offenders.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    Quick question, are your parents and in laws terrible grandparents, seeing as you have two?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @alliballeza They definitely are not terrible grandparents. They absolutely shower the girls with love as much they can. 

They just don't have any respect for me and DH and our decisions. They criticize and disapprove of everything we do - getting pregnant, career choices, parenting choices...They think we are young and dumb. 

Meanwhile, my kids are doing pretty well. They are pretty decently disciplined and behave well - as much as you can expect from  a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old.  We are doing well for ourselves - especially for our field/age. And we are very much content with our lives and look forward to having several more children without any worry.

I don't take stress well and I don't take rejection well. I don't really want my stress levels effecting my pregnancy as I have a history of 2nd trimester preterm labor with both girls. So I'm just contemplating how to go about this if there is such thing as a low stress way to do it. Probably not in my case. 
  • Options
    @alliballeza They definitely are not terrible grandparents. They absolutely shower the girls with love as much they can. 

They just don't have any respect for me and DH and our decisions. They criticize and disapprove of everything we do - getting pregnant, career choices, parenting choices...They think we are young and dumb. 

Meanwhile, my kids are doing pretty well. They are pretty decently disciplined and behave well - as much as you can expect from  a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old.  We are doing well for ourselves - especially for our field/age. And we are very much content with our lives and look forward to having several more children without any worry.

I don't take stress well and I don't take rejection well. I don't really want my stress levels effecting my pregnancy as I have a history of 2nd trimester preterm labor with both girls. So I'm just contemplating how to go about this if there is such thing as a low stress way to do it. Probably not in my case. 
    You could do what my h wants to do and just not tell family until we can send pictures of us holding the babies.  lol  Pretty stress free until they find out.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    @EllyD14 lol DH says just never tell. They'll figure it out overtime as I grow or one day they will come over and we will just have another baby.

Actually, my dad is the only one who is always just cool about everything. He really isn't an issue. And Im starting to wonder if he suspects it because it seemed like he was staring at my bloated belly last time we came for a visit. If he wasn't my dad I'd have called him a creep lol
  • Options

I dunno. I still stand by my statement if they're good to your girls, you know? I have a step father that raised me since I was three and had a really nasty divorce with my mom (I've talked to him 2-3 times since I was 17 and they divorced) and I even found it appropriate to tell him before letting friends know.

He was shocked, seeing as he has a 4  year old and newborn right now (so I have a step-daughter and am pregnant and we've got some age between us). He didn't respond well, and I got a call from him a few hours later saying he was wrong. Even though the initial rejection hurt and he's not in my life or will be in my children's life, I'm happy that I did it and he didn't have to hear through other people.

I know rejection is hard, but let's be honest, they've seen how great of a job you and your hubby have done, even if they didn't approve, they couldn't really have a good reason.

Plus you have all of us to support you guys. :) A few nay-sayers won't ruin that, or all of the support you'll gain elsewhere. Regardless of your choice, I hope you're happy. That's what you deserve.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My family is basically the same way. I dread telling them this time around because they were so horrible last time. The women in my family also tend to gossip and get into everyone's business all the time. DH and I have distanced ourselves because we hate dealing with the drama.

We have a lot of great, supportive friends who already have been told. They are all so happy for us. I have not decided if we will tell or just let family figure it out for themselves. I hate being like this but having your mom and grandparents look at you and say "oh god, your pregnant again" in a disgusted, judgy way is just not something I want to deal with. DH and I are in our 30s and he has a great job that he loves and allows me to stay home. Not sure WTH the issue is.

They are good to my boys now and we do not ever keep them from spending time with them but I hate dealing with their crap through the pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I know how much it sucks.
  • Options
    Perhaps I can do like my Brother and SIL did and send out an email to the immediate family members prior to posting on the blog/facebook. None of this is happening till after my appointment Mar 18th so I have time to consider. 

Diff between my brother and myself is that they live far away from our parents and I live within a 10 minute drive. But at least they can react to themselves and I don't have to witness it. 
  • Options
    I think you should choose the option that will cause you the least anxiety. After all, that's the last thing you and your little one need right now. Is it the anxiety of anticipating their lackluster response in person? Or is it the guilt you may feel by not giving them the VIP announcement? Neither option is ideal so I would go with the lesser of the two evils. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"