April 2013 Moms

Gentlest baby wipes?

So I posted a week or so ago that we are going through a battle against epic diaper rash. At home I wipe with cotton swabs and plain water, but it's kind of messy and a pain... so I am looking for the best wipes for our nanny to use when R is away from me. Recommendations? We currently use the Up & Up Sensitive wipes, but it doesn't seem to be helping. What wipes do you like that don't irritate your baby's little bum? We have used Pampers sensitive as well, which I don't really like because they're slimy and smell weird... but we could go back to those if necessary.
Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
Rhys - born 04.17.2013
Harry - born 04.18.2016

Re: Gentlest baby wipes?

• Debbie0580Debbie0580 member
    edited February 2014
    We use pampers sensitive and only wipe for poo changes.
    Edit to remove a word.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We use Babyganics wipes. I just dry her with some toilet paper if it's a pee diaper. For any redness at all, I use Babyganics "Hiney Helper" diaper rash cream, and I powder on top of it so it doesn't feel as sticky to her. I use arrowroot powder in an old baby powder bottle instead of baby powder, it may or may not make a difference. Diaper rashes here are always gone by the next day when I do this.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15303656&cp=&parentPage=search

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11013488&cp=&parentPage=search
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I use Up&Up too.  They are alcohol free.  But that said, if it's a super bad rash, I break out Kleenex and water.  Then I layer aquaphor, desitin max, and baby powder (yes I know you aren't supposed to use baby powder, but darn it it works!).  If it's been a couple days and there are persistant red spot that will not go away, I start with Lotrimin and then pile all the other stuff on top twice a day.

This has been the only thing that has helped guard my babies behinds from acid poo.  If they are clear, I just keep a layer of aquaphor on them and add powder to it before bed.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Thanks everyone! @Trin42 I may look into getting some reuseable wipes for home, but I still want to send disposables to the nanny. 
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Are you sure it's a rash?? Jasmine had a bad rash and I had to take her to the doctor for it because it just kept getting worse. And it was yeast.
  • @kgs0505 I think the only reason you aren't supposed to use baby powder is because they can breathe it in, so as long as you're moving away from your baby's face when you shake it out, I'm sure it's fine! Maybe I'll try some..
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • We use cloth wipes. I bought some flannel and cut it into squares. Easy peasy! If it's a really messy diaper, we use store bought sensitive/unscented wipes.

You could send cloth wipes to the nanny along with a wet bag and just have her throw the wipes in there. It's really not hard at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @pinottoparenthood Yeah, I know, but the powder is superfine and particles just go wherever (I deal with this at work interestingly), but I really think it's been the key.  I was talking to a friend about it and she said the 4 layer trick was all that helped her baby when she got salmonella, which apparently stays with you for months, and she was pooping at the time.  So that's where I got the idea to add the powder.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

• Sol1790 said:
    Are you sure it's a rash?? Jasmine had a bad rash and I had to take her to the doctor for it because it just kept getting worse. And it was yeast.
    This happened to A too. Our pedi said the more irritated the skin gets and breaks open, the bacteria from the diapers causes a yeast infection. Instead of going to the dr, I would just put some antifungal cream (monistat, lotriman, for athletes foot - way cheaper). and if it's not a yeast infection putting that stuff on won't hurt
  • Sol1790 said:
    Are you sure it's a rash?? Jasmine had a bad rash and I had to take her to the doctor for it because it just kept getting worse. And it was yeast.
    This happened to A too. Our pedi said the more irritated the skin gets and breaks open, the bacteria from the diapers causes a yeast infection. Instead of going to the dr, I would just put some antifungal cream (monistat, lotriman, for athletes foot - way cheaper). and if it's not a yeast infection putting that stuff on won't hurt
    Yep.  That's what we do.  If nothing helps in a couple days, I start adding the lotrimin.

• We use Pampers Sensitive or Up and Up sensitive. The up & up ones aren't as moist (ugh, hate that word!) as the Pampers, but I like the container is nice for the diaper bag. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• We also use Pampers Sensitive and I love them!  

I second that it may be yeast if it's not going away.  What diaper cream do you use?  Desitine and Triple Paste work the best for diaper rash, imo.  If it's not going away with generous applications of diaper cream than it might be yeast. 

Our LO had a yeast infection on his bum when he was on antibiotics.  We used some jock-itch cream and it cleared up within a day or two.  Didn't need to visit the doctor.. nurse just told us to try it and it worked!
  • FYI - The cheapest place for Lotrimin is Target for 3.99 Up & Up brand under "Jock Itch" cream.  Did you know you can get lotrimin cheaper if it's called Jock itch cream instead of ringworm cream?  It's the same darn stuff!

• Thanks everyone! We use Burt's Bees diaper cream. We have tried pretty much every kind under the sun. I heard Triple Paste was great, so we got a huge tub, and it was rubbish for us. I just got off the phone with the nurse at our pediatrician's office and she recommended the lotto in cream too so we will try that!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Pampers Sensitive. Zero diaper rashes.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • I second the use of an anti fungal. Usually when the rash gets that bad it's yeast/fungus.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • I can't advocate the Honest Company enough! I've noticed they sell it at BBB and Nordstrom now too.

Anniversary

• love4blove4b member
    edited February 2014
    We use WaterWipes - they are literally just water and grapefruit seed extract. 

Also, I've mentioned it before, but coconut oil is a great anti-fungal. We slather her with unfiltered virgin coconut oil at every change and haven't had any rashes. 

ETA: it also helped a ton to use these diapers 

They're made from corn instead of plastic, so they're as breathable as cloth diapers. B broke out in some nasty rashes when we switched from cloth to Seventh Generation disposables - even with the coconut oil - but when put her in these, it cleared up and hasn't returned. They're also completely chemical-free and haven't leaked once :)

• We also use coconut oil with a little lavender essential oil blended in. Works and smells great.

• Going with minxyglams post, I've heard grapefruit seed extract is amazing to kill yeast as well.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • I just had a bad diaper rash! I rinsed my diaper wipes prior to using them (Target brand and pampers sensitive) and dried her skin well ( I always do) and then applied Triple Paste and a small amount of powder. The rash was 100% gone in 2 days! Highly recommend Triple Paste! worth every penny!
  • I agree there is something weird with the Pampers Sensitive wipes. I like Pampers Natural Clean wipes. They're alcohol free, unscented, and have a touch of aloe to them. They also have more per package than the Sensitive ones and cost the same, so it's a better value. Just make sure you don't buy the Baby Fresh (blue) box by accident! I hate those ones! They smell even worse than the Sensitive wipes... [-(

• I went through the same thing....and with my second baby just around the corner I am totally prepared. You have to have to get Bum Boosa Bamboo wipes. The best, gentlest - safest. They are super soft and they smell amazing. Natural scent. No more diaper rash!
  • @cece2682 This is an old post, but I now use cloth wipes.... basically baby washcloths, and I squirt them with water and wipe with those. However, since we also cloth diaper, it's easy to use those and just drop them in the pail with dirty diapers.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"