September 2014 Moms
Options

1 year-old gift idea

Our Godson is turning 1 this weekend and we are trying to brainstorm what to get him. Do you any of you have any suggestions for great gifts for a 1 year-old? He's a rainbow babyand the 1st and only grandchild on both sides, so he is extremely showered with toys on a regular basis - so the more creative the idea the better! DH and I had thought about starting a fun account that we add to each year for him that he can touch when he turns 18, but do you think that's too stuffy or maybe even a "cop out" to not buy an actual present? I'm probably overthinking this...

Thanks in advance!

Re: 1 year-old gift idea

• Options
    I think its a good idea. My husband niece and nephew are like that. And they get anything they want. I find it hard to buy things For both of them. So we usually give them money.
  • Options
    What's your budget?

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @Ceridwen21 $50-$100 was what we planned on putting in the account if we went with that idea, so I guess anything $100 or less.

• Options
    We have these on our fridge, and I recommend them to everyone! I used to do in-home childcare, and they are fantastic for keeping little one's within sight, but out from underfoot while cooking!  Plus, every male that walks into out house plays with them between 12 months and DH's grandpa! They're just neat and fun!
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!
  • Options
    I second the 'membership' idea. Zoo, aquarium, children's museum?
  • Options
    I love @krystynad's idea of a membership to a museum or something. We got a family annual pass to a local natural history museum, outdoor with a ton of animals, and my 21 month old loves running around it! If he has plenty of toys I would think that you should skip it, he get more on his birthday too. The account is a nice idea, and I actually asked my dad to do that for my daughter instead of buying her crap. I know I'll appreciate her having some spending money for college, I think she would too!

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

• Options
    I love experience gifts! Gymnastics, zoo, music class - whatever! I also wouldn't mind the account AT ALL.
  • Options
    I suggest donating to their education fund. Our DS is the only grandchild as is very spoiled. At this age they won't miss another present, but mom and dad sure do appreciate the contributions to their education.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I agree with a membership.  I would love if someone did that for us

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Best gift I have ever gotten for my girls is books! We don't out grow them and they don't take up a bunch of space. Plus the girls all love books. 

• Options
    I love the membership idea and the book suggestion. Honestly for a 1 year old - I'd just as soon ask the parents if they wanted clothes or diapers. Shower type stuff.

imageimage

• Options
    Books, or any kind of "experience" oriented thing. Do they have zoo or museum memberships? Or if you have any local places that offer baby or toddler music classes or something like that, those are such a treat.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH's grandpa used to give my kids savings bonds until they went digital and you could only get them by applying online. I think that the savings account or membership ideas are both great.
    #1 11/21/07-Bean     C-section
    #2 04/17/09-Boo-kie C-section
    #3 01/15/12-Moose  Natural VBA2C
    #4 EDD 09/30/14

Christian Wife and SAHM
    Homeschooler and Crafter Extraordinaire
    Knit and Crochet Obsessed

Pregnancy TickerDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If I don't know what to get a kid or if I know that they already have everything, my go to is books. I say you can't ever have to many books. Also, that membership things are neat. Never thought of that before.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Books, or any kind of "experience" oriented thing. Do they have zoo or museum memberships? Or if you have any local places that offer baby or toddler music classes or something like that, those are such a treat.

We live in St. Louis, so our art and history museums and zoos are free. The only thing you ever have to pay for at a museum is if they have a special exhibit passing through. The things you do have to pay for that are awesome like the City Museum (which is like a hugh sculpture playground), Botannical Gardens or Science Center are a little too old for him right now.

You ladies have given me some awesome suggestions, and his mom has just informed me that his party is being cancelled this weekend due to the snow apocolypse we are supposed to be getting - AGAIN, so I will have another week to think about it! :D Thank you ladies, for all your help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"