Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Herbal supplements for men TTC...ever heard of them?

DH is a vitamin/supplement junky.  It drives me crazy because I know half (if not all) of this crap doesn't work, or maybe it does, but it's irritating that he takes crap without doing much research on it besides what the page selling it says.   I just had a box of pills show up and I call DH and he said he ordered them because they "boost" fertility.  I asked him if he was sure they were safe and he said, "I'm sure, they can't sell anything harmful over the internet." (Insert my annoyed face here).  So I figured I'd ask you ladies what you know and then proceed from there.  After a quick google search, they appear to be fine but most likely a big, fat waste of money. 

I am not a big fan of herbals and I know that some are contraindicated when taking other things.  I looked them up in my nursing books but there is no info.  DH also takes Fish Oil, Aspirin 81 mg and Niacin along with a multi-vitamin.  He has hereditary high cholesterol (or had, its under control now).  He is not overweight and has no other health issues.

Anyone heard of this stuff or have personal experience with it?
Maca 500 mg, 1-2 daily
L-Arginine 1000 mg, 1-3 daily as needed (whatever that means)
Tribulus 1000 mg, 1-2 daily

And this ElixAir hgH, appears to support hGH release

I think he is becoming concerned because we have been trying since June '13, were benched for a few months following a mmc and had a CP in Jan.  He won't say he is worried, but I'm thinking the herbal supplements support my theory.  Any advice?  If he is just wasting money; that's whatever, I don't like it but it is better than taking anything harmful.  I know this is a weird question, so sorry in advance. 

BFP#1 6/2013: MMC 8/2013 @ 6 wks, 3 d
BFP#2 1/2014: CP 1/2014 @ 3 wks, 4 d
BFP#3 4/2014: MC 4/2014 @ 4 wks, 1 d
Break until Dec 2014
Femara, aspirin and progesterone started 12/2015
Still working on #2!

Re: Herbal supplements for men TTC...ever heard of them?

• Options
    My husband went to a urologist that specialized in fertility. He said the only proven vitamin for fertiliry was something called coenzyme Q 10. You can look at his blog too called https://www.maledoc.com/blog/
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options

I think most supplements are a waste at money targeted to gullible people who think anything can be fixed with a pill. They aren't well regulated and that scares me. 

I have heard of doctors recommending a multi-vitamin to men to help with sperm mobility. Of course, a healthy diet can also achieve this. But that is about it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing my RE recommended for my DH on top of his regular multi-vitamin was CoQ10. He's also taking fish oil because we accidentally bought like the mega-could-serve-a-small-village pack on Amazon. 
    That crap smells too!    I was cleaning our bathroom smelling around like a crazy person only to discover my medicine cabinet smelled like weird fish/urine.  Gross!  

He'll finish these pills because he bought them and he's a tight wad, I just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything dangerous. I didn't find anything via dr. google,  I don't even want to mention the CoQ10, I'll have a truck load of that here tomorrow!
    Break until Dec 2014
    Still working on #2!

• Options
    sj+cm131 said:

I think most supplements are a waste at money targeted to gullible people who think anything can be fixed with a pill. They aren't well regulated and that scares me. 

I have heard of doctors recommending a multi-vitamin to men to help with sperm mobility. Of course, a healthy diet can also achieve this. But that is about it.

Pretty much this all day long.  I get so frustrated that he isn't concerned that these aren't regulated.  The thing is, he is a freakin' smart man! Probably one of the smartest people I know, but his mom is into herbals.  Now, I LOVE my MIL, but it does irritate me she swears by all this herbal stuff.  She's always on some new super food kick, or new supplement.  I told him his multi-vitamin is fine.  We've gotten pregnant twice in less than a year, even though they didn't result in a take-home baby, I don't think his sperm is the issue.

Maybe my uterus needs some Maca or whatever the hell it's called ;)
    Break until Dec 2014
    Still working on #2!

• Options
    My RE told my husband to take a multi vitamin and a coq10.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    A friend of mine said that their RE recommended Tribulus for her husband. I don't know anything about it, but she "believes" in it. I'm skeptical of almost any supplements, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ducktale said:
    This reminds me of the time my H told me he was going to rewire the basement using YouTube videos.
    Did he burn your house down?  Or at least use YouTube to figure out how to put out an electrical fire?
    Break until Dec 2014
    Still working on #2!

• Options

Ducktale said:

This reminds me of the time my H told me he was going to rewire the basement using YouTube videos.

Did he burn your house down?  Or at least use YouTube to figure out how to put out an electrical fire?

He did NOT rewire our basement. I'm all for DIY but not electrical stuff. Then he got all mad because I didn't trust him. Whatever, sorry I like living.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ducktale said:
    Ducktale said:
    He did NOT rewire our basement. I'm all for DIY but not electrical stuff. Then he got all mad because I didn't trust him. Whatever, sorry I like living.
    DH scares me when he is on vacation or off work!  I'll come home to 40 different projects only about 1/3 finished and I cringe to think what he's done that I can't see.  
    Break until Dec 2014
    Still working on #2!

• Options
    L-Arginine and L-Carnitine are proven fertility / sperm motility boosters for men. (Takes about 3 months to effect) They have to be taken on en empty stomach.
     Maca is super good for men and women, as a hormone balancer and its rich in B Vitamins.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"