Breastfeeding
Options

Weaning...

How does it work? LO is 9 months and EBF. My goal was to nurse for one year which isn't too far awayn... I'd appreciate any advice you might have! TIA

Re: Weaning...

• Options
    here is a bunch of info. however, you might want to wait and see how you feel at a year. BFing just gets easier and and more rewarding the older your LO gets, so you might end up wanting to nurse for longer than you initially thought.
  • Options
    My LO self weaned so I might not be much of a help, sorry. But you can try reading this. Kellymom helped me a lot. https://kellymom.com/category/ages/weaning/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pb_bridepb_bride member
    edited February 2014
    how often does your LO nurse right now? Dose s/he nurse on demand or on schedule? Does s/he still nurse MOTN?

I am SAHM and I EBF too.  I have been nursing DS on schedule for several months, and he was nursing 6x/day when he was 8m and 9m old.  When he turned 10m, I dropped him down to 5 sessions/day.  At 11m, I went to 4/day. After he turned 1 (and was started on a few oz of WCM without any adverse reactions), I went to 3/day.  I wasn't rushing to wean him off completely at 1 year (we weren't ready emotionally at 1 year), so hence my slow weaning approach.  He is now 15.5m and we are down to 1x/day in the morning.  I probably will completely wean him in March.

Anyway, I think it's fine to have some sort of idea in your head in terms of what you'd like to do (how fast to wean and when you want your LO completely weaned), but you may change your mind several times before your LO gets to 12 months.  GL!

ETA: if your LO still nurses MOTN and/or have a nurse-to-sleep association, it is probably a good time to wean him/her off that.  And I honestly think it is a good idea to start nursing on schedule instead of on demand.  DS barely put up a fight when I dropped his sessions.  

A good mom friend of mine, who also SAH and EBF (her son is same age as my DS), had the hardest time weaning her son.  She nurses on demand. It took her months to wean him MOTN, and she is now finally down to 2-3 sessions a day. BUT she says her son still asks for it many times a day (as often as every hour) and it took a lot of patience and effort to redirect him when he's asking all.the.time.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pb_bride said:
    how often does your LO nurse right now? Dose s/he nurse on demand or on schedule? Does s/he still nurse MOTN?

I am SAHM and I EBF too.  I have been nursing DS on schedule for several months, and he was nursing 6x/day when he was 8m and 9m old.  When he turned 10m, I dropped him down to 5 sessions/day.  At 11m, I went to 4/day. After he turned 1 (and was started on a few oz of WCM without any adverse reactions), I went to 3/day.  I wasn't rushing to wean him off completely at 1 year (we weren't ready emotionally at 1 year), so hence my slow weaning approach.  He is now 15.5m and we are down to 1x/day in the morning.  I probably will completely wean him in March.

Anyway, I think it's fine to have some sort of idea in your head in terms of what you'd like to do (how fast to wean and when you want your LO completely weaned), but you may change your mind several times before your LO gets to 12 months.  GL!

LO usually nurses 6 times a day and does not wake to nurse in the MOTN. He might even nurse less than 6 times a day, but I still nurse him at times when he might not necessarily need it :/ Now that he is more interested in his toys, crawling, and that he is eating solids 3 times a day, he isn't nursing like he used to. I'm not opposed to nursing morning and night after LO turns 1 since I really enjoy BF and get sad thinking about stopping so soon. Just wondering how it works :)
  • Options
    It works however you want it to! You could just reduce some sessions as long as he's eating well. Nursing him just twice a day morning and nights might be nice after a year. It's totally what you want to do, but it's very do-able to just nurse 2 times a day after a year or something close to that.  
    My DD is 2 and we're STILL nursing in the morning and at night but just for a few minutes, if that.  I think we're almost done and I never imagined nursing until 2 but it just sort of happened :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"