November 2013 Moms

Working moms come in..

Working moms!!!! I'm new at this.. At what point do you stay home from work when your child is sick???..

Matthew has a cold and he's still happy as a clam, just coughing and congested. I figured he's fine. He's with another mom who's caring and I know he's in good hands. But I'm second guessing myself..

Re: Working moms come in..

• Here's how I see it... The daycare people can handle babies with colds... I can't... it breaks my heart..

Our plan is to keep him home when he has a fever... we did pay bukoo-bucks for daycare after all...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the only one who's gotten sick lately! I've missed almost a full week of work because of those cute little daycare germs :-) LO has not been sick at all, so I really can't give any advice based on experience, but I can tell you that I will use ANY opportunity to stay home with her! For example: I purposely scheduled her 4 month shots for 9am so I wouldn't have to take my sore baby to daycare.

• Loading the player...
  • I personally would stay home at the first sign of him being sick, only because I have 70 sick days saved up. I guess it would differ if I had less. Knock on wood he hasn't been sick yet.
  • I'm part time so if I want to have off for a day I'm scheduled I have to use vacation time.. He doesn't have a fever.
  • Unless she has a fever, I send her to daycare.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • As long as he seems happy, DC is cool with it. and he isn't running a fever, I would go to work.

For me, I would live to be home for every cold but it's just not realistic. I used up all my PTO for maternity leave.

This is my theory as well. I still have 5 sick days but that isn't very much considering it's only February.
  • I know this may sound terrible, but we only keep the kids home if there is fever, stomach virus, or are sick enough that they are not acting themselves at all.

A cough and runny nose are things that pretty much happen from November - March with daycare, and if I kept them home for minor issues I honestly wouldn't be able to work, like, ever.

If you are in doubt, put it in perspective of yourself - would you call out of work if you had the same symptoms as LO?  I know it's different, blah blah blah - but at least it may help put it in perspective.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• I always said I would never send my kid sick but then I realized I would get fired if I stayed home for every little thing. Fever, vomiting, wheezing or if they are acting totally miseraw I am always home, otherwise it's off to work.
  • My poor baby has had a terrible cough for three weeks. I have taken her to the doc three times and even shown videos of her coughing but they say she is "fine" . Her lungs are totally clear and it is all post nasal drip. I have done everything they reccomend like saline etc. though it breaks my heart this LO had to go to daycare I can't just take three weeks off! I feel for you but as long as they are fever free and acting happy they just need to go :-(
  • As long as there's no fever, she goes to DC. I do take her to the doctor for everything just to be on the safe side, so I'll take some time off to do that and get the okay from the doctor that DC is okay. I have no sick time until April since I used it for maternity leave. Maybe after April I'll be more liberal with staying home with her.
  • I would probably say what everyone else says.  As long as LO doesn't have a fever I would go to work and just let the daycare provider know and if he gets worse I would have them call me.  I only have 6 days of sick leave but our fiscal year ends on August 31.
  • I took him to the doctor Tuesday (left work an hour early) because my mom is a nurse at a children's hospital and had me panicked it was rsv. It's not. Pedi said he sounds great and his chest is clear. Just keep the humidifier on and it'll work itself out.

Thank you! I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only mom who sends her child to dc with a cold. And you're absolutely right. We can't stay home for every sniffle.. If only..
  • I agree with pretty much everyone else.  I would only keep her home if she had a fever or a stomach bug type deal.  Living in upstate NY I feel like I could end up staying home for half the year because cold season is so long.
  • dobrydney said:

I agree with pretty much everyone else.  I would only keep her home if she had a fever or a stomach bug type deal.  Living in upstate NY I feel like I could end up staying home for half the year because cold season is so long.

Same in Cincinnati..
  • We have kept LO home all week because she has a cold. It's just a cold and no fever but we have all gotten sick, so I feel like I know it's contagious. I didn't feel good about sending her to daycare. But I can also work from home if she is sick so I don't mind doing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"