February 2014 Moms
Options

Talk to me about white noise machines.

Do people still do this?

With DD I had the HomeMedics Lullaby Sound machine that played lullabies and white noise. It also had little disks you could swap out and they projected onto the ceiling. Apparently back then this was considered 'baby crack'. Is that still a good option or has something even better come out in the last 5 years?

I've been using a white noise app on my phone that knocks DS out but I want something I can put in his nursery.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Talk to me about white noise machines.

• Options
    We have a couple of different things we used in the crib for DS that make white noise type of sounds, and will definitely use again this time. One is a fisher price mobile that makes sound and projects onto the mobile. When baby can stand, the mobile comes off and it just projects onto the ceiling. We also have the Baby Einstein aquarium for the crib. We will use one or the other, but probably the mobile because of the projector. It was DS's favorite. 
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

• Options
    We have the sleep sheep-it works for us!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were using a sleep sheep for DS, but it shuts off after 45 minutes which isn't helpful when he wakes himself up by squirming out of his swaddler and punching himself in the face.

So I put a humidifier in his room (not filled), the same one we have used with DD for years. It works like a charm and goes all night. It also drowns out other household noises and we can use it as an actual humidifier if we need.
  • Options
    sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited February 2014
    We are white noise junkies - in addition to a humidifier and fan, we use this machine: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2686012?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001130636&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=41818768630&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34189486390&veh=sem I got ours at Buy Buy Baby
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    We have sleep sheep and apps on the iPad. So far, neither seems to work. :(
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    We've been sleeping with a white noise machine long before we even had kids! We use the "sleep mate". You can buy it on amazon....but I'm sure there are more reasonably priced options. We now have 3 in our house....and they travel well too.
  • Options
    I have the travel sleep sheep that I keep strapped to the car seat handle. It has been great when LO starts to fuss in a store and I'm just trying to check out quickly. At night, the humidifier in our room creates the white noise. I hope that the travel sleep sheep will help LO sleep better when we are away from home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD still uses the sleep sheep at almost 3. It works well for us. My DS doesn't use it yet, but I'm sure we will in the future.
  • Options
    We have the baby crack machine in the bigs room. But the white noise broke a couple mid ago. They still like the projection so we still use it and I've got an alarm clock in there with ocean sounds. This LO is still in our room and so far hasn't needed white noise but we do have a travel sleep sheep just in case. White noise was a MUST for my second but the other 2 were more hit/miss with it.

• Options
    Oh yeah, we also have the Relax Melodies app on the iPhone and it's great for travel.

• Options
    Do any of you have LO sharing rooms with a big? If so are you still using the white noise?
    Feb 2014
  • Options
    Definitely use the Sleep Giraffe in our house - and for those extra difficult times, I have a CD player to rock him asleep to in the nursery. 

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• Options
    cksmith29cksmith29 member
    edited February 2014
    bribbon said:

We use a pedestal fan ;). So plugged in at the bribbon house.

Same for us plus DH has a CPAP machine. We have all kinds of white noise in my house.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! I've been putting my phone in the PnP at night but recently discovered DS loves his crib. I don't want my phone in there all night so all your suggestions really helped.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards