Postpartum Depression
Options

At what point did you realize you need help?

At what point did you realize you needed help? What was your breaking point? Did you call your OB or a different doctor? What was your initial treatment like?
EDD 9/3/13

Re: At what point did you realize you need help?

• Options
    I knew I needed help when I was a complete train wreck and was experiencing debilitating insomnia that was going to kill me.  That was my breaking point...crawling on the floor from exhaustion because it hurt to stand on my own two feet.  I felt if I didn't get this fixed, I'd rather just die.  That was scary and I knew my son, my husband and I deserved better. 

I called my OB first and they referred me to my primary care physician since I was 7 months PP.  The first thing they did was start me on an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety med, on occasion.  I also had sleeping pills prescribed too.  Nothing worked...at all!  That is because it was a primary doctor who prescribed it and he just basically threw pills at me.  I knew I needed bigger help, so I called a therapist and a psychiatrist...best decision of my life!  Once I got in to see them and got on the appropriate meds things started to slowly get better.  It has taken a while though and hasn't been a quick fix.  I'm finally (3 1/2 years later) pretty much off all meds and feel great.  

It is a tough road, but getting help is the best thing you can do for yourself! 

I'm sorry you are having a hard time and good luck!    
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"