April 2013 Moms

Breastfeeding Check In

I thought it might be nice to do a check in for those moms who are still breastfeeding. How's it going? Are you pumping? Just nursing? Supplementing? Are you still nursing at night? Any issues or sweet moments to share?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding Check In

• Still breast feeding and pumping three times a day the days I work. I think Brayden is over bottles so lately he's only taking the cup or boob. My pump broke last week so I had to go get another that doesn't seem to work as well but I haven't seen a dip in my supply yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Just nursing. It's going well. I pump like maybe once a month just to have reserves. I nurse around 7pm and then not again until 7am. We stopped night nursing about a month ago. My mom babysat on Sat and gave her her first sippy cup full of pumped milk. My mom said she was like an old pro with it. :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Still breastfeeding! I just re-started pumping because DH and I are going on a trip without DD in a few months and I have no freezer stash anymore. I'm still nursing at night, too. I realized recently that at first, I couldn't wait for the first year to go by so I could wean. Now that a year is almost up, it's the last thing I want to do!
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Still nursing. I was pumping 3 times a day at work when I was working but my last day was Friday so just nursing now. Still hoping to make it to 1 but we are doing solids 3x a day and she is only nursing about 4x/day. She hasn't nursed at night since she started STTN when she was around 4 months.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Still nursing. I work part time and A takes 7-8 ounces while I'm gone. I was doing great then getting one ounce less then half and now I'm only getting one ounce! It was a slippery slope. I'm trying to decide if I want to try fenugreek. Or just start supplementing.
    When we are together she seems to be happy and getting enough.
    I feel lucky that it's been great so far but I also feel guilty that I can't keep up.
    A is sick and has been waking 2-3 times at night and wants to nurse before her cold it was once a night.
    I would like to keep going morning and night after we transition to cows milk around 14 months. If we can make it...
  • knitfaced said:
    Still nursing the twins. They never would take a bottle even after months of trying so I just gave up pumping. Big fat waste of milk. I loved nursing my son but I am literally counting down the days until I can stop this time. I keep getting horrible plugged ducts, mastitis, bitten, and generally feel drained from nursing two babies for so long. I still nurse each of them at night at least once.

You are my breastfeeding hero.  Seriously---nursing twins for 10+ months??  Awesome.

I'm still nursing, but I feel like I'm barely holding on.  Got sick 1.5 months ago and supply dropped, went to Mexico 2 weeks ago for 5 days and pumped the whole time, but am pretty sure it dropped more, and now I'm sick again...arg.  Nursing DS at 5:30pm before dinner (he has passed out pretty early at night, so I pump before bed if he does), at 6:30am before I go to work, and on my lunch break.  I pump once at work, and he takes 2 bottles during that time(I am a teacher, and don't have any physical time to pump during his morning bottle).  I pump about 2 oz for each 4 that he drinks, so I make that up on the weekends and from freezer stash.  I think we will barely crawl across the finish line at 1 year old.  I'd like to nurse in the morning and at night as long as we can, but I'm ready to throw this pump out the window.

To everyone still nursing, congrats!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Pumping twice a day at work and supplementing whatever I can't pump. She hasn't been taking much fluid at daycare lately though. Not sure what's going on there, but we're trying a faster flow nipple or sippy cup. I nurse morning and bed time and usually MOTN. She was sleeping until around 4 for one heavenly week, but she's back to every 90 minutes again now. She doesn't take a lot overnight but I would guess cumulatively it's a few ounces.

I love when she's ready to nurse before bed and literally spits out her pacifier to get to the real thing.
  • superTootssuperToots member
    edited February 2014
    Great job ladies! Bfing is a full time job in itself!! Especially @knitfaced nursing two!! Thanks to all of you for your advice, support and understanding!

I'm proud to say I'm still nursing. Only lasted 5 months with Cameron, and honestly he was formula feed and supplemented with bm. I'm a sahm so I rarely pump.

Hard stuff: Casey cut 4 teeth in the past two weeks and was a biting machine. One of my nips is still healing. The teething also resulted in a five day nursing strike. I was beginning to think we were done nursing. Oh, and he still nursing motn.

Good stuff: we are champs at nursing in the ergo. That thing has been a life saver! I'm leaning towards bfing until 18 months and then beginning to seriously wean. Never did I see myself as an extended bfer! My MIL bfed and is an excellent support system. I wouldn't be where I am without her. Hmm.. I should probably tell her that! I also love when Cameron talks to Casey while nursing, and Casey smiles and giggles with a mouth full of boob :)

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Still BFing.  G gets one formula bottle a day.  It used to be half BM half formula, but I stopped pumping a few weeks ago...i always hated it and wasn't getting much anymore.  Can't wait to switch to Cow's milk in a month...I used to be able to bump and BF, but she no longer will have any of that so I'm bored and ready to just give her a sippy cup.  My goal was 6 months, so I am proud I made it a year;)

• We are still breastfeeding here at almost 10 months. I can't believe how fast it's come! Some days she eats more than others. . . It seems like she has slightly fewer wet diapers than when she was exclusively bf. We eat about 3 solid meals a day. I try to pump once a day still because sometimes I like to have an adult beverage or two or need to get out of the house. We eat about 5 meals a day but she only stays on each side 3-4 minutes. If she gets up in the middle of the night I will still nurse her back to bed. I know it's comfort nursing but I've let it fly because I know she's been in pain with her teeth. She hates sippy cups - so still uses a bottle when feeding. I've taught her how to drink water from a straw at restaurants so I think I need a sippy cup with a straw for her to try. I am super proud to say she's never had an ounce of formula. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Still nursing and pumping twice at work. We have quite the freezer stash. He nurses whenever, I don't really count. I used to pump Saturday and Sunday morning when he woke up to nurse, but I haven't been doing that. Thinking about the weaning phase, trying to prepare myself. Lookoing forward to not pumping at work. 
    He is such a wiggle worm! ugh!

• You are all doing an awesome job!!! You should feel proud!

We're still nursing on demand here, which usually includes nursing at least once at night, sometimes twice. Overall it's going very well though I wish he was sleeping through the night. I do think that many babies really do need to continue to night nurse longer than others. My guy is tiny (4th percentile on the WHO charts) and he nurses well at night so I'm not going to try and force him to STTN if he isn't ready.

• Still breastfeeding here!!! Im pumping about three times a day...but sometimes I get lazy. He wakes up at least three times a night but I think it's mainly for comfort since he is teething. My goal is to nurse til he is one. Does your LO hate the nursing cover now?My LO hates the nursing cover in public because he is nosey. So he has exposed me a few times trying to see lol. We did introduce the straw cup and he is interested lol.

Great job mamas!

• Brayden hates nursing covers. He fully exposed me the other day at the car wash. I've been sticking to flowy shirts when we go out so I'm not AS exposed.

• Still nursing and pumping full time, although Rhys eats more solids and drinks somewhat less milk now. I have been struggling to pump enough at school. We went through a heavy biting phase, but thank god we seem to mostly be over that. I just love having him snuggled up with me... I will miss it when he weans!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I wish I was still nursing :( I am still EPing 10 months strong. I am pumping 2-3 times a day and get between 20-25 oz. We supplement with a little formula probably around 6-8 oz per day.

If I was still nursing my goal would be to continue nursing to age two. Since I cannot tolerate pumping anymore, my goal is to give him BM until he is one year old.

I hate the pump sooooo much. God bless you for EP so long!!! That's amazing.
  • Still BF on demand when I'm not teaching. I pump first thing in the am and once at school. I cut my after school pumping session - I have a chest freezer full of milk that we need to start using. I'm amazed we made It this far. Between mastitis, thrush, latch issues, and a nipple shield, things were rough till 7.5 months I think. Now it's easy peasy.

I am trying to quit pumping entirely, but I haven't figured out my next step.

I won't miss being the magic solution to his MOTN cries, I think, but I will miss the quiet snuggle time. Besides nursing, DS is never still!

• Still nursing here too. I work two 12 he shifts a week and my pumping output has decreased a lot. I'm usually lucky to get 8 oz total and he takes about 18 oz. Soooo I pump once a couple of hours after he goes to bed EVERY night to make up the difference. Ugh.

At one year I hope to continue to nurse on our days together and squeeze in a pumping session on my lunch break at work to keep my day supply up for the remaining 5 days. Otherwise I guess we will nurse at morning and night and give WCM the rest of the time. Not sure how exactly it will work out, but I would like to continue nursing until 2 unless he weans himself.

He has all kind of adorable nursing quirks. Recently at bedtime he will wave at me until I say "hi Stephen" and then he laughs his head off. Then he does it again. If I don't acknowledge him he keeps waving forever. Lol. During the day he likes to stick his foot in my face and I kiss it and act silly and he laughs about that too. I love it.
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• I am so very impressed with all of you ladies that are still pumping multiple times a day and/or working and pumping! Way to go!!

DS is still nursing happily at nearly 10.5 months. I am very lucky to be able to stay at home with him and nurse on demand. He is finally going 10+ hours at night without a feed, which is wonderful. I have not pumped since mid-November. I don't have much of a stash, so I should probably put in some pump time, but like all of you, I hate pumping.

This is a really big deal for me because NO ONE in our family breastfed before...not my mom, not my MIL, no one. I had never actually seen anyone breastfeeding until I went to my first La Leche League meeting. Both my mom and MIL said they supported me but then said stupid things like, "Now that his teeth are coming in, aren't you going to stop? You'll get bitten." (For the record, I have not been bitten once.)
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Super impressed with all of you still BF / EPing!  Go girls!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DD is 10 months old today, and we're still BF. She has *knock on wood* just started not needing her MOTN feeding (like it's been 3-4 days now). She usually goes down for bed at 7pm and wakes once (because she just wants to stand and cruise) but will go back down and sleep until about 6am. During the day, she nurses about every 3 hours. I mostly SAH, but I do work 1-2 days a week for 4 hours a day. She goes to the daycare with me where I work, and I am able to nurse her there if need be. She rarely lasts longer than 6-7 minutes and then she wants to play! She also eats three meals of solids a day and 1-2 snacks. My goal is 1 year, and then I will start the transition to WCM (probably starting with the mid-morning and mid-afternoon feedings, since those are when she's least interested in BF).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Still EBFing and still pumping a zillion times a week. Haven't slowed down yet although I feel like LO is starting to space out his bottles in his own. Will start a slow transition to WCM at 1 year by mixing BM and CM, but hope to nurse in AM and PM as long as possible (2 years would be my max probably).
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Still nursing, and pumping 3 times a day while at work. I plan to drop down to 2 sessions soon, as I also have a freezer full of milk. I'm going to stop pumping when she is 1.
    I'm shocked we are still going. Bfing was not easy for us...it took until she was almost 6 months old for it to be easy. I am also taking domperidone, as my supply tanked once she hit 6 months old. No way was I going to stop right when it got enjoyable, and I'm stubborn as hell.
    She likes to hold my hair while nursing, and make a lot of noise. She also unlatches really dramatically and gives me a huge smile when she is done
  • Still nursing and no plans to wean - gonna let her lead the way on that. She never took a bottle (despite much effort) so I haven't been pumping, but may start to try giving her breastmilk in her sippy....wish me luck!

She nurses on demand throughout the day, no idea how many times, and 2-3 times at night. She's still in bed with us, so it's not a huge deal.

• Still nursing on demand with no plans to stop. Ideally, she'll lead the way on weaning when she's ready. She just dropped her last MOTN feed last week (yay!) on her own, so we're finally getting some sleep! She loves to turn feeding time into gymnastics time. She is ALL OVER the place when she eats. Standing up, bending over, trying to walk off with my boob, everything. Makes nursing in public a fun time for all.
    ;)

• saxchloe said:

@superToots that's awesome that your MIL was such a support for you! I wish mine was.... She doesn't understand it at all and thinks that I make my daughter "clingy and attached"...One of my best friends was a huge help for me at the beginning when I needed it!

Sounds like my mom! "Give him some formula so I can have a turn feeding him" "he's fussy, you must not be producing enough" "he's still nursing?!!" "You should wean so dh can help with night feedings!" Etc. Etc. Etc. She drives me crazy!! Glad your friend has been helpful!

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Still nursing on demand here.  I stopped pumping about 6 months but I am a SAHM so it wasn't really needed.  My LO nurses every 3-4 hours AROUND THE CLOCK..... she is getting her molars so we are up a ton at night and although she doesn't eat each waking she comfort sucks and I can't deny her since she is hurting :(

I too love my time with her, after she finishes nursing she lays in my lap and I get the best smiles and talk time ever.  Those are my favorite moments.

BUT she nurses to sleep for her naps and she fights naps so it is like WWF.  I am getting kicked, slapped, pinched, she is trying to take off my freckles, she is rolling off my lap.  Good times.

My goal was a year but now I would like to continue through 18 months.  After 12 months I am going to really work on not nursing MOTN... I am slowly working on it now but not forcing it.

Great job mamas!  And EP I don't know how you do it!  You deserve so much credit I would've never kept up this long
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Still nursing on demand here too. I never figured out pumping, but as a SAHM with no social life, this is not a problem. I have no plans to stop anytime soon, partially because it's so much easier for me compared to doing solid/"big kid" food and partially because the second I stop, the grandmothers will pounce and I'll basically never see my child again. I'm pretty sure my mother is trying to subtly sabotage me nursing past a year (she breastfed me but quit at nine months), but I feel pretty strongly about letting Sonya wean on her own.

My favorite thing about breastfeeding has always been nursing Sonya when she's sleepy. I love watching her eyes roll back as she tries to fight sleep. I'm probably creating bad habits by still nursing her to sleep most nights at her age, but it's what's working for us right now.

Has anyone else nursed a baby while he/she is in the car seat? I've done the variety where the car is parked and I just lean in with my breast hanging out, but I've also managed to just awkwardly lean over while sitting in the back seat next to her while the vehicle is in motion--it's not pretty, but it gets the job done when we're running late on Sunday mornings.

Going to go back and read all the other posts now, but I'm impressed by how many of us are still nursing this late in the game. Go us!
    Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great work everyone! Still nursing 3 times a day and at least once over night. He is humongous and is not big on the solid food so I think he's doing ok. I plan to nurse him until he self weans which I hope isn't until at least 1.5. I barely pump because he never took a bottle and I have zero time now with two kids.

And I get the stupid comments from my MiL too. We have a wedding in July where MH and I will be gone for 3 days. My MiL said "well you have to stop nursing by then because your breasts will hurt. ". It's called a pump. Eye roll. And she calls it "breasting" and laughs all the time like it's silly and embarrassing. The comments are not as bad as the first time with my older son though, thank goodness.
  • Still nursing and pumping here. I pump 3 times a day sometimes at night if my little guy doesn't get up. I think my supply has went down some due to being pregnant. I'm planning on breast feeding til 1 year then only breast feeding at night and in the morning. I guess weekends too. I just dkbt want to pump anymore plus I want time without pumping before baby 2 is here.
  • Seriously, what is it with some MIL's and the breastfeeding comments?? Mine does this too!
  • Intro! Real quick, Hi I dont get on here much but I did want to respond to this post :)  I have a 10.5 month old Daughter-Paige.

We are still BF and I pump while working full time.  We are slowly transitioning to goats milk in her bottles while I'm at work, just about an ounce or so.  She still wakes at night and I normally feed her once. DH is pushing to cut her off so she'l sleep thru the night but Im afraid of my supply dipping and I only have a few weeks to go!!  Im a little sad for it to almost be over but I will be so glad to not pump anymore!!!   Congrats to everyone. Any breastfeeding is a success to me :)
  • katie6/26/04katie6/26/04 member
    edited February 2014
    Nursing and pumping at work. Breast feeding overnight if needed, which is usually at 4am if at all. I have no end date in mind. Ds weaned himself at 15 months, so I'm hoping to go a little past that if it is still working for both of us.
  • Still BFing DD. We started giving formula at bedtime to hopefully help her sleep a little longer. My goal is to make it to a year. Two more months!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"