August 2013 Moms

I need advice, please. *long*

So, a little back ground. When I was born, my father said there was no way I could be his daughter. I was top dark. I have Cherokee indian in me, so I was a little dark. When I was 9 months old, he got a DNA test done on me. it came out 99.999% that I was his daughter. He had the courts order a name change, but then told my mom that I still couldn't possibly be his daughter, there was still that 0.001% chance that I wasn't his daughter. He walked out and never looked back. When I was 13, my mom found a phone number for him. we were driving down the road one day and she asked me if I wanted to talk to him. I of course, said yes. She gave me the number and her phone. My heart raced something feirce as it rang. A man answered. I said "Hello. Is this James?" he said, "Yes, may I ask who is calling?" When I told him, he hung up. Three days later, the number was disconnected. I spent the next 10 years looking for him. Tonight II found him. This is where I'm having my problem. Some say to write him and tell him how well I've done without him. How well I'm doing and how great my life is. Some have told me to write him and tell him how it felt to go 23 years without ever meeting my dad. To never call anyone "daddy". I've never been given the chance to be a daddy's girl. When I get married this August, I will have to have an awkward walk down the aisle with my mom's long time boyfriend. He's no dad to me. He hates me, my sister and my brothers. but I have no choice. I don't know what to do here. I don't want him to be a part of my life. I don't want anything from him but answers. Since I have found his address and phone number, I have written twelve letters to him. I don't know what to say or where to begin. I don't know what to add to the letter or what to not put in it. I don't know how to tell him who I am and what I want. I just don't know, you know?> What would you do in my situation? Would you take the knowledge you have and leave it at that, or would you write a letter to him/? There is no way in hell I'm calling him though. THat isn't even an option in my book. I don't think I have the strength for that... I need help please. Advice, anything. All kinds of advice are welcome. I have never been so lost about something in my whole life. No one has ever had such a strong hold on my emotional state as he does, and I've never even met the dude...

Re: I need advice, please. *long*

• Really? Nobody? :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies. I'm not sure what I will get out of writing him. I know I probably wouldn't get anything back, and I am not sure I expect it either. I would LOVE to see a therapist, but, alas, I do not have money for that. I can't have either of my brothers walk me :( I only talk to one of them and he is in the wedding. My other brother is a replica of my bio father. A douche. I don't get along with him at all. I thought about having my mom walk me. I just wasn't sure if it would be a good idea or not.
  • I'm so sorry that you were put into this situation in the first place. I can't even imagine.

As far as walking down the aisle, why should someone you don't love give you away? Do you know what kind of honour that is? Don't give it to someone who doesn't deserve it. You belong to no one but yourself, give yourself away, or ask your mom if you'd like.

As for your biological father... I get that you feel the need for closure and answers, but I don't think you're going to get them. If you do chose to contact him expect letters to go without replies and the door to be slammed in your face. I just want you to be prepared for that if you try. Personally - I don't think I would go ahead with it. You've done an amazing job without him, you don't need more negativity and heart ache in your life. He doesn't deserve your time.

Whatever you chose, good luck.

• First, I'm do sorry you've gone through all this. Hugs to you.

Second, you posted pretty late so you may not get many replies until tomorrow.

Only write to him if it is for you, for closure. Say any and everything you want or feel the need to...get it all off your chest. I would only write as long as you have zero expectation of him in return...this is for you, not how it will or won't make him feel.

As for your wedding, have anyone who you feel deserves it walk you down the aisle. It doesn't need to be a man...your mom maybe? Carry your lo? Or walk yourself....you're a strong woman. IMO tradition in a wedding is just a guideline, you do what feels right to you on your day.
  • I would totally walk myself over someone who doesn't care for me like they should and I deserve. At my wedding, my father was there. If he had not have been, if have walked alone or with a friend. And just because your brother is in the wedding doesn't mean he can't walk you down the aisle!! Get creative- it's your day!

As far as contacting him, I would. Only because it sounds like you need the closure. I don't think you will get out of it what you want, but sometimes just writing it down is therapeutic. Nothing says you have to mail it!

Keep your chin up, lady. You're awesome and you know it. And don't let anyone keep ahold of your heart but you (and LO ;))
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Wow, I'm so sorry you have been going through this. It's a shame on his part what he has done to you, you have done your part which is more than enough.

I personally would not write a letter. He deserves to know nothing going on in your life. You will always have a strong connection no matter what. If you think writing that letter will make you feel any better, then by all means do it.

On the wedding, well I've had no bio dad for the past 30 years, and for me picking my mom to walk down the isle was the best choice for me. Good luck OP! And hugs!!

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• I don't think the letter is necessary, it doesn't seem like it will be any type of closure bc you're always gonna wonder did he get it did he open it did he read it did he think about the things I said... Doesn't seem like closure when so many new thoughts could happen.. Focus your energy on the people that do love you in your life, LO and your fiancé being at the top!
    I agree with the pps don't have moms bf walk you, it's an honor and it should be someone that cares, or no one at all.. My BFF walked herself bc her dad is a douche, she invited him to the wedding but only as a guest
  • Dont write your bio dad. Its just setting yourself up for hurt.

As for the wedding, is there a cousin or an uncle or grandparent youd want to walk you down the aisle? And im curious why would it be bad for your mom to do it?
  • It's your wedding. You don't HAVE to do anything. I would never have a man I didn't care for walk me down the aisle. It's my day, and I want to be surrounded with love.

If it was me I'd have my mother walk me down.

So sorry about your father. I hope you get the closure you are looking for.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• I think you need to let it go. He's made it clear that he doesn't want to talk to you or have a relationship with you. Why do you keep trying?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Wow, what a story. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. No child should ever have to feel that kind of rejection from a parent and it makes me sad for you. :(

Like others have said, if you just need the closure, write a letter but don't expect anything in return. And just have your mom walk you down the aisle! I had both parents because that's what I wanted.. It's your day, and you make the rules.
  • Agree with the others, you are wanting closure from your dad, but instead you would be better off writing a letter to yourself asking why you are so focused on chasing someone who clearly never cared enough to make a place for you in his life. Why keep asking for him to hurt you? 

Love yourself enough to put yourself first, and in this case that means accepting that he was selfish and uncaring, and you are better off without him. If you knew your child would get nothing but a cold shoulder and rejection from someone, would you encourage them to reach out, or would you tell them focus on the people around them who love and care about them.

It appears that he left before you had any memories of him, so stop considering him a loss, because the truth is he was never there. Have your mom walk you down the isle, or a best friend you are close to...whoever loves you most if you don't want to do it by yourself. 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Walk by yourself or have your mom walk you.

Anyone who abandons thier kid is scum. I wouldn't want to talk to them.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • You all have very good points. I'm still unsure about the letter, but I know if I do write it, to not expect anything back. My sister told me to tell him how I felt growing up and how I feel now. Just spill it all. If I write, I'm just going to sit down and type away. (It's easier for me to type than to write. Takes less effort and my fingers can work at my minds pace without looking sloppy) I keep reaching out because I guess I do need closure. Even if he don't write back. I will know that I got to say everything I've always wanted to. God help him if I actually do it. It will be a book. I'm going to ask my uncle to walk me down the aisle.
  • PB102012PB102012 member
    edited February 2014

My biological Dad left when I was 10 months old. However, my Mother remarried a wonderful man who adopted me legally when I was 10 (that's where our stories are different). It's hard when he has rejected you by phone before, so like the other ladies said, I wouldn't expect much from him. There's no shame in writing a letter to him to let him know how you feel. Maybe it would help give you the closure you need? Also, as far as your Mom's boyfriend walking you down the aisle, have you ever considered having one of your brothers do it? I just ask because you said he hates you and your brothers?

edit- just saw your comment about your Uncle. If you're closer to him I think that would be a great idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree w what's been said. Write the letter, but do it for you. To get everything out. I'm not the type to then send the letter, but some are.

My grandfather walked me down the aisle and would have even if my father had been alive. He made a mess of our family and I have no place in my life for that.

• You mentioned in your original post you didn't "want anything from him but answers" - I can promise you, you aren't going to like him.

Like most posters have said, I would let it go. If he hears how "great you did with out him" in his sick mind he may justify his walking out. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

I might send 7 consecutive postcards each with one letter on them... the first would have and "F" the second a "U" and the third a "C" - I think you get where I'm going with this.

Sorry you dad is a douche. Ask another important person in your life to walk you down the aisle if you feel it is important. I have a girlfriend who had her mom walk her down the aisle - it was incredibly sweet.

• I wish there was an email address for him. It would be so much easier...thank you all for your responses. I like the fuck you post cards. Made me giggle. I also like the "just contact info" response. I might go with that... Maybe.
  • edited February 2014
    I wish there was an email address for him. It would be so much easier...thank you all for your responses. I like the fuck you post cards. Made me giggle. I also like the "just contact info" response. I might go with that... Maybe.
    Have you done a REALLY thorough search? I've found emails addresses before for my boss (long lost Navy pals) and started with only a name. I know you can pay to do a "check" on people. Not sure if it's worth it, but maybe worth a shot if you'd prefer email?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"