September 2013 Moms

Annoying MIL/mom stories

We haven't done a MIL/mom vent session in a while and I want to vent about my MIL, so everyone jump in if you have a story of a family member being annoying!

My MIL has asked me three times now if I plan to make my own baby food and it is getting on my last nerve!  She isn't just asking to make conversation, but with the expectation that I will say yes.  Today she asked and I just ignored her question (because we had already discussed it), so she went on to tell me about someone from her church who makes their own and how you need special trays, etc.  I finally said, Yes, I plan to make some of it and her response was "Oh, good, that way you know exactly what is going into her body."  My MIL is much more into eating organic, not eating processed sugar, etc. than I am.  She has tried to tell us of the evils of eating sugar in the past and how I should use butter instead of margarine, etc. etc.  So this is partly a vent about her questioning my parenting and partly about her trying to force her food "beliefs" on us.

I actually do plan on making some of my own baby food, but what business is that of hers?  I sincerely doubt I will make every bite of baby food DD ever eats, and I don't need a guilt trip making me feel like I am a bad mother if I don't make all her food.  I do agree it is probably healthier for me to make her food and I am sure it is cheaper, but I just don't know if I'll have time to make it all. 

Also, another small vent.  MIL was over the other day and managed to work into conversation about when we plan to try to have another child.  She brought it up by saying her friend was asking her if she knew when we wanted to have another kid and how we shouldn't wait too long, we'll be needing to "get on it" soon, etc.  MIL was relaying all this to me as she laughed about her friend asking, but it was obviously her sneaky way of asking me when we want to have another kid.  I can understand some curiosity about that, but the baby is only 5 months old!  Can I at least get a year before people start with these questions??  

Any other vents?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Toby, my furry baby

Re: Annoying MIL/mom stories

• My DH, our SAHD, recently left for 4-6 weeks to work at the Nuclear Power Plant in St. Louis. Well my MIL has been a savior and offered to come help with Ky. Goodness I am so happy to have her help but with being dog-tired when I get home there is only so much I can deal with. I've tried to only nip the "dangerous" things in the bud. For example her giving him 2 doses of Tylenol before I even get home (4:00p) every day for 4 days... um no. She made his 6 oz.s of formula with only one scoop of powder (it needs three), then he would proceed to spit up over 1/2 of it because it was too thin. Not dangerous, but she would let him fall asleep with an empty bottle in his mouth, all he would do is phantom suck on air and end up gassy. Those are only the tip of the iceburg but I can totally handle the other quarks..

Oh I forgot about her best remark. While talking to LO she says "Ky, I hope the next baby ends up looking like dad because you look all mom"...? I just sat there dumb founded.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• I love a good IL vent sesh.

We had Caleb dedicated at church this past weekend, and then MIL had everyone over for dinner afterwards to celebrate. Everyone- including FIL and SMIL. SMIL is kind of crazy and she gets real testy about getting special time with us and the baby without other family around (they refused to be in the waiting room during his birth because my parents and DH's other parents were there, and then the day after he was born, they actually left my hospital room without saying goodbye and without holding him, because our other parents were present). So I was surprised they agreed to come to dinner at all. Throughout the evening, everyone was passing the baby around, and anytime SMIL wasn't holding him, she was just awkwardly sitting there not making conversation, not participating in anything, just staring around at everyone. It was annoying and creepy and weird.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH's birth mom lives in another continent and is very sweet and not annoying but after hearing some of her advice I will never leave LO with her when we visit. For example, when he was three weeks old and had gas her suggestion was to give him honey. And she kept asking if we had given it to him yet. DH finally just said yes. Who knows what she would try if I'm not there to stop her. @kimberleymacrae I really admire your patience!!
  • MIL was at our house just before DD's bedtime so I gave DD a bath, put her in PJ's and then took her downstairs to say goodnight. The next afternoon there was a very casual family get together at DH's aunt's house so we dropped by with the kids. DH told me later that his mom was shocked and annoyed that DD was still in those PJ's and made a comment to him in front of other people about the baby "still wearing yesterday's clothes." I'm really glad I was across the room and didn't hear that.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • MegStarkMegStark member
    edited February 2014
    I usually get along with my MIL great, but she pissed me off in the last week. I'm from Kansas City and we've always said we would move there if timing was right and a good opportunity arose. DH has a great opp right now and. He mentioned it to his mom and she turned total bitch on him. Um, sorry we're not here to be convenient for you to come whenever the hell you want. KC is only 4 hours away. My parents are there. MIL threatened that they wouldn't come see us. 

imageimage

• MegStark said:
    I usually get along with my MIL great, but she pissed me off in the last week. I'm from Kansas City and we've always said we would move there if timing was right and a good opportunity arose. DH has a great opp right now and. He mentioned it to his mom and she turned total bitch on him. Um, sorry we're not here to be convenient for you to come whenever the hell you want. KC is only 4 hours away. My parents are there. MIL threatened that they wouldn't come see us. 
    Sounds great! :P

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"