Infertility

IVF Meds

I just received a call from the pharmacy with the medications my RE has ordered for me for IVF #1. I am not going to put the order through for a few more weeks due to taking this month off, and frankly wanting to hold on to the $4400 this is all going to coast, whoa!!! The following have been prescribed for me, just looking for any further info. on side effects, thoughts, etc. from you ladies. This is all really new to me and just curious about your experiences:

Ganirelix
Gonal F- 3 cartridges
Doxycycline- I think this is just a antibiotic?
Ovidrel (I do have experience with this from my 3 IUI's)
Endometrin (have used this many cycles)
Medrol ???

Any words of wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Re: IVF Meds

• Yes, the Doxy is just an antibiotic.  My clinic had both my husband & me take it.  He had to take it for 10 days & I had to take it for 4 days starting the night of ER.  Be sure to take it with food as it will make you super nauseous on an empty stomach!!

The Medrol is a steroid.  Mine were not coated & were pretty nasty tasting but other than that, no side effects.

Good luck!!!!

Me (36) - LOR, DH (34) - MFI (low count & poor motility)

TTC since 01/2012

11/2012-04/2013 Unmonitored Clomid cycles through OB/GYN; Referred to RE

05/2013-Benched due to cyst

06/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + TI = BFN

07/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN

08/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #2 = BFN

09/2013 - Benched for lap & hysteroscopy (Stage II Endo Removed)

10/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #3 = BFN

11/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #4 = BFN

12/2013 - Clomid + HCG Trigger + IUI #5 = BFN

2/2014 - IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 5R/4M/4F w/ICSI; 2 embies transferred on day 3 (none to freeze)

2/27/14 - First BFP Ever!!!  EDD 11/3/14

• Yes, I'm waiting on paying for my order, too...I prefer to save up a bit more.  But the doxycycline my RE had me get (along with my BCP) at my local pharmacy to start it sooner.  Not sure when your RE wants you to take the antibiotic, but I'd ask.  If he wants you to take it sooner, you can just get that at your regular pharmacy and hold off a bit longer on the pricey meds.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Loading the player...
  • A few recommendations...

First it sounds like you are OOP, I recommend calling around to different fertility pharmacies and pricing meds.  You may find out that the pharmacy your clinic recommends may not be the pharmacy that is the cheapest.  Always have the pharmacy run your insurance, meds like antibiotics and steroids should be covered.

I never took doxy during IVF (I took Cipro), but doxy can do a number on your stomach.  I took it after I was diagnosed with an infection, and it made me feel terrible.  Be sure to take it with food.  I took mine with applesauce in the morning, since it's bland and should at least not make my upset stomach worse if I do feel sick.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Ganerelix made me super nauseous... To the point where if I have to do another round, I'm asking for something different or hoping to at least take it before bed instead if first thing in the morning...

I triggered with Ovidrel with my IUI's as well and didn't have any issues, but this time with my IVF they paired it with Novarel and I got nauseous and hot flashy.

I'm also on Endometrin, but this is my first time. Seems "cleaner" than the other types of suppositories. Sorry for the TMI on that part.

Good luck!
  • @Twinkie0612, we have a $5000 deductible that has not yet been met so that's why we have to fork over the $4300 in cash to meet the deductible and then after that everything is covered, thank god! I feel terrible for people who are all out of pocket, the costs are astounding! Good luck to all you ladies, thanks for the feedback! 

• Twinkie0612Twinkie0612 member
    edited February 2014
    @Twinkie0612, we have a $5000 deductible that has not yet been met so that's why we have to fork over the $4300 in cash to meet the deductible and then after that everything is covered, thank god! I feel terrible for people who are all out of pocket, the costs are astounding! Good luck to all you ladies, thanks for the feedback! 
    Oh, well a $5000 deductible isn't bad, if the rest is covered. Much better than OOP. Good Luck!

ETA: I thought of another tip.  Ganirelix needles are a bit dull, don't let that surprise you!

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• ETA: I thought of another tip.  Ganirelix needles are a bit dull, don't let that surprise you!

No kidding!!!!
  • Have you applied for Compassionate Care, if approved it can help a lot!  We were denied but I highliy recommend applying for it you can save uo to 75% off, we are 100% OOP :(

https://fertilitylifelines.com/fertility-support/saving-fertility-treatments

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"