Cloth Diapering
Options

That's It!?!

So today I finally took the time to play around with flat folding using one of ds's receiving blankets.  After doing the oragami fold my reaction was literally "That's it?!?!?  But that was too easy....."

So now my question......how does one gmd large flat compare to a microfiber pocket insert: which is more absorbent and which is thinner/trimmer if flat is pad folded?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook

Re: That's It!?!

• Options
    A padfolded flat won't hold as much as a large BG MF insert, but it won't have the compression leaks either.  The flat will also be a bit bulkier.  FWIW, I only use flats with my BGs now.  You could get a six pack of Osocozy flats on Amazon to try them out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Looking back at my soaking experiment:  A large BG insert held 1.1 cups soaking wet while a padfolded flat held 0.9 cups.  But, after squeezing them lightly the flat held 0.8 and the MF held 0.6 cups.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KLXVI said:
    A padfolded flat won't hold as much as a large BG MF insert, but it won't have the compression leaks either.  The flat will also be a bit bulkier.  FWIW, I only use flats with my BGs now.  You could get a six pack of Osocozy flats on Amazon to try them out. 
    The padfolded flat is less bulky than the red edge gmd prefold when trifolded though, right?

• Options
    Yep, I stuff the BGs with small GMD prefolds and the flat stuffed ones are quite a bit trimmer.
  • Options
    I just used small GMD prefolds in my comparison.  The prefolds held by far the most before and after squeezing the water out.
  • Options
    Well, I tried using the origami folded blanket since I could......it was mostly wet when we returned from picking up ds1.....and ds2 had been in it for 2ish hours so if real flats absorb as much as or more than a flannel receiving blanket, my search for an economical, and fun, way to replace mf in my stash is concluded......

As far as putting it on ds, I didn't find it any harder than a prefold, though I have to use one diaper pin due to the huge overlap of the wings in front of him.

• Options
    Weird.  I have a way easier time getting the crotch snug with a flat than a prefold.  I agree with the wings though.  I usually kind of tuck them under themselves and call it good. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    I can get the crotch snug with flats and prefolds, but I can NEVER get the legs to not gap.

• Options
    My crotch is never snug either

Wait...what?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"