Attachment Parenting

XP: help me with a baby wearing question

DD has been great in her Boba 3g, but we're starting to have some trouble on carries >1 hour.  I carry her always on the front, facing me.  She will tolerate it for about an hour, then she starts fussing because she gets tired of craning her neck around to see out (at least I think that's why).  All she wants to do is look, look, look.  No more sleeping in the pouch, that's for sure.  We took her on a 2-hour hike on the weekend and ended up carrying her in our arms facing out for the last hour--and then she was plenty happy.  My arm muscles, not so happy.

She is 4.5 months and 16 lbs.  Boba says no back carries until 20 lbs--is that a hard and fast rule?  I'm not sure if a back carry would help her issue anyway, but I'd be willing to try if it was a safe option.

Is there a good carrier option to front forward face?  I know the Bjorn type are bad for hips and don't want to be doing that.  Or is there a side carry one?  I'm trying to avoid ones that require lots of wrapping since our climate is really warm.

TIA, and a pic for your time.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

Re: XP: help me with a baby wearing question

• I did back carry in an ergo after 4 months old, and since DD had full control of her head (In accordance with Ergo's recommendations they don't have a weight recommendation, I'm not familiar with Boba's). The other thing is at that age, DD just wouldn't want to spend an hour in the same position. period. (not back, front or side or forward facing), but yes, having a better view might help. DD loves going on my back because she can peek over my shoulder and see everything (same with a side carry). I do love my ergo, and it is great for a side, front and back carry. Can you carry your LO on the side with a Boba? That way if your LO gets bored in one position, you can switch.
    Unfortunately my carrier can't do a side carry.  Maybe I will try her on my back.  She has excellent head control, and has for quite a while.
  • A ring sling or ergo for a side or back carry would help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • emolee84emolee84 member
    edited February 2014
    I'm a Babywearing Institute (not to be confused with Babywearing International - aka BWI) trained educator (working on finishing my test books and consults to become certified). Until a baby's spine is developed enough to allow them to sit unassisted back carries only in a woven wrap. It has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with baby's current stage of development. Baby needs to be able to stabilize themselves in an upright position and not rely on the carrier to do so for them (because no SSC or MT or anything else other than a woven wrap will be able to give the proper vertical support on all sides to properly support baby).

A woven wrap or a ring sling would allow for a hip carry, some SSCs (buckle carriers) allow for a hip carry as well but I've never found them very comfortable.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Baby needs to be sitting unassisted for a back carry in a buckle - whatever age/size that happens at.  You can do a high back carry in a woven wrap or a mei tai - which would let her see over you shoulder and might be a better option for you.
  • Thanks guys.  It sounds like I need to wait a little longer on the back carry since I don't have a woven.  She's almost to the point of sitting unassisted, but not quite there yet.
  • You might look for a babywearing group in your area :)  You can normally google one - and a lot of groups are active on fb - they may introduce you to a world of wearing :)
  • You might look for a babywearing group in your area :)  You can normally google one - and a lot of groups are active on fb - they may introduce you to a world of wearing :)
    I would like to.  However, we live in the Caribbean and our island is pretty small.  The locals don't baby wear, but I could talk to a few expats and see if any of them do.
  • Oh :(  I wish I had better info for you!  
  • I did not know that about sitting unassisted. I always thought it was about head control. Gtk and filing that one away . . .
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, if you are open to a woven wrap, don't discount it because of climate. Woven wraps (unlike a stretchy wrap) are quite breathable; more breathable than a soft-structured carrier, for sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"