Breastfeeding

I think I'm going to have to supplement :(

We've made it through so many challenges and my LO will be 9 months old tomorrow. I currently have 10 oz in the freezer. She's down to three, 3 oz bottles plus 3 solids meals at daycare and a nursing session in the morning, before bed, and 1-2 times in the middle of the night. First of all, I'm not sure if that's enough food. She was getting three, 4 oz bottles at daycare and 2 solids meals and having her 3rd solids meal at home. We changed that up a little bit, because my supply has taken a major dip. I started a new job a month ago and I am only able to pump twice in the 9 hours I am there, I can not add a 3rd pump, or at least, I don't feel like I can, I don't really have a space to pump, I'm ducking into conference rooms and empty offices as I can find them, I know they "have" to provide a space for me, but they really don't have one. Plus it takes me about 30 minutes to set up, pump, clean up, and I feel like 1.5 hours of pumping a day, plus time to eat lunch, is excessive. I get 3-4 oz each time I pump. So by the end of the day I have 6-8 ounces.  I have to try and stay up late and pump 2-4 more ounces just to get her 10 ounces for the day and I'm not usually getting it and have to pull from my quickly dwindling freezer stash. I used to be able to pump first thing in the morning, opposite the side she would nurse on, but I think she is reverse cycling because she has been waking up and wanting to basically nurse while we bed-share from 3-530 am every day.

So...I don't really know what to do. We're so close to our goal, but still so far away. 3 more months. I don't want to supplement, but I also don't want my baby to not be getting enough to eat.

What can I do?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: I think I'm going to have to supplement :(

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sounds like you've been killing yourself to continue nursing. I think that takes a lot of dedication. You should be proud of yourself. If you have to supplement that's okay. The workforce really isn't designed for the Breastfeeding mom. It's really unfair.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried something like More Milk Plus to boost your supply?  How many times is she nursing overnight?  If she's nursing overnight plus having her bottles I wouldn't be too worried.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I agree with PPs that you've done an awesome job!! , and if you have to supplement it's not the end of the world.

That being said, if you really really want to avoid it, I think it's possible.  I too had a supply dip somewhere between 6 and 9 months.  I added a pumping session before work on the drive in or after LO went to bed at night.  I nursed as much as I could when I was with LO to trigger extra milk production.  I drank at least 100 oz. of water a day, every day.  I ate oatmeal & flaxseed every day. When I had three days off in a row I tried power pumping (pump 10 min. rest 10, repeat twice) at the same time every day for three days.  

All of that was enough to get me to a year.  At that point I dropped a pumping session at work, and fully expected my supply to tank.  It didn't.  We are still nursing 3-4 times a day with no sign of a dwindleing supply at 17 months.  

So don't give up hope if you don't want to!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I agree with PP. Pumping at work has been the hardest thing for me as a mom. We had to supplement some when I wasn't able to pump as often as I needed to. You've done great to make it this far! Try not to beat yourself up about it! Formula is fine, especially since LO is already on solids!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support. @theresat858, I do often eat and pump, however, I sometimes have lunchtime obligations that I can not pump during.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support. @theresat858, I do often eat and pump, however, I sometimes have lunchtime obligations that I can not pump during.
    This. Not everyone has their lunch hour free to pump. I often have meetings at lunch. It was hard to always have time to pump. I probably wouldn't be adding any sessions this far in. I was so fed up with pumping by 9 months! Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"