November 2013 Moms

Anyone else?

Please don't tell me I'm the only one..when I get home from work I don't want to think about cooking! So we have been living on frozen meals and sandwiches since LO had been born. (3 months now) I never thought that I would be that person to just not cook-I was really naive at how hard this parenting would be. When I get home I barely have energy to take a shower I've just been so exhaused and tired. Who else is with me!?

Re: Anyone else?

• Definitely. Something we do that helps is try to cook something to freeze on Sundays, plan easy meals and use a crockpot like your life depends on it.
  • Same here. We are living on frozen foods and canned soups. I have so much trouble just finding time/energy to grocery shop on top of cooking, it doesn't happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Me too! I'd much rather hang out with LO after work than cook. 

We do a combo of big batch cooking on weekends and frozen "emergency" food. We've been managing 1 freshly made dinner on the weekend, though sometimes we cook after LO is in bed not for dinner but for future dinners. DH and I both work and cooking is shared 50/50.
  • I haven't been cooking much during the week. It's not so much that I don't have the energy, just that I don't want to spend my time in the kitchen rather than snuggling LO.

I cook big batches on the weekend. Shrimp fried rice, beef barbacoa, baked ziti, soups and chili, stuffed zucchini, breakfast burritos, etc. All that stuff re-heats really well. Crockpots don't create the fanciest meals, but they're convenient.

If I don't get around to cooking on the weekend we will eat salads and frozen things from Trader Joe's.
  • Me too! My husband does most of the "cooking", which is usually pasta or something frozen. DS demands most of my time!
  • LizB8943 said:

I try and cook most nights--we'd probably eat out more, but we're in a small military town and there aren't a ton of restaurants/take-out options close by. We eat much later than we used to--if LO gets fussy, it's inevitably when I'm trying to get dinner going. 

I SAH, but there are still nights I just run out of gas...or meal ideas. Last night was "catch as catch can" (basically, whatever you can find in the fridge :) )I've been trying to find some "quickie" recipes to do on weeknights.

We try to cook at home too since our budget just doesn't allow for eating out or ordering in.

Our favorite quick meal is a Jamie Oliver recipe: while pasta water boils, sauté some spinach with garlic and olive oil. Throw in a container of mascarpone cheese. Then drain pasta directly into pan with the spinach/cheese so it gets some of the pasta water. Throw in some
    frozen meatballs or sausage if you like but this meal is SO delicious and easy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Dinner is so difficult now. I used to love to cook! I would get off work, go to the store, come home and turn on some music and pour a large glass of wine and get dinner ready. But now I'm finding myself reading more cookbooks and recipes online than ever. I have to find things that I can either prep in the morning and stick in fridge, or throw it all in a crockpot, or be able to do one handed in the evening. My son just likes to clusterfeed and be held from like 4:30 to bedtime so it's just really hard. I'm always apologizing to DH for the boring meals, but he's sweet and acts like he doesn't mind. I look forward to weekends because that usually means 2-3 meals I don't have to cook.
  • JamieCallowJamieCallow member
    edited February 2014
    I LOVE to cook and am always looking for new recipes:) I will put DS in the swing, turn on some music and talk with him while cook. Tonight we had smoked sausage bisque and tomorrow I plan on having my famous turkey burgers:) I always have to double it because DH likes to take them for lunch! But if anyone else has some new recipes I would love to hear them!

Edited bc I was not finished.
  • Trader joes is my new best friend
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do a combination of both. I'm a SAHM, but there are times where it has been such a long day I do not feel like cooking anything, so we have frozen meals on those particular days. I figured it is okay since I cook more often than not, but sometimes I just wish I had a personal chef that could just cook whatever I wanted. Lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • @cagoldi I want to come over for dinner. All of that sounds amazing. What do you stuff your zucchini with?

Target, Wegmans etc have preseasoned meat so I have been doing those with the veggie steamers in the frozen section. It's about all I can do. Occasionally I'll cook something easy like turkey Alfredo or chili. I've been on a chili kick lately.

Well, you know I'd love to have the three of you over for dinner if you find yourself visiting Cali. Then we can take our creepy internet stranger friendship to the next level. : )

I stuff the zucchini with Roma tomatoes, minced garlic, diced yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and minced shallots. I saute those that then place it inside the zucchini, top with crumbled feta and some Italian breadcrumbs for texture. Broil for a couple minutes until the cheese starts to melt.

Also, Skinnytaste has a couple recipes that I want to get around to trying. One is stuffed with Italian sausage and the other is Taco stuffed Zucchini boats.
  • Justnooch said:
    I try and cook most nights--we'd probably eat out more, but we're in a small military town and there aren't a ton of restaurants/take-out options close by. We eat much later than we used to--if LO gets fussy, it's inevitably when I'm trying to get dinner going. 

I SAH, but there are still nights I just run out of gas...or meal ideas. Last night was "catch as catch can" (basically, whatever you can find in the fridge :) )I've been trying to find some "quickie" recipes to do on weeknights.

We try to cook at home too since our budget just doesn't allow for eating out or ordering in. Our favorite quick meal is a Jamie Oliver recipe: while pasta water boils, sauté some spinach with garlic and olive oil. Throw in a container of mascarpone cheese. Then drain pasta directly into pan with the spinach/cheese so it gets some of the pasta water. Throw in some frozen meatballs or sausage if you like but this meal is SO delicious and easy.
    About how much water do you put in the spinach and cheese mixture? 
  • tjheld said:

Justnooch said:

LizB8943 said:

About how much water do you put in the spinach and cheese mixture? 
    I don't know the name of this kitchen utensil...I'm going to call it a pasta fork...but if you use that utensil to take your pasta right from the bowl and into the spinach/cheese, it's usually enough. I wouldn't put more than a ladle in after that. :)

• You can make food yourself, in your home? That happens? Wuuuttttt? Lol No. Wait, I've made Ramen.. Does that count?

A detective (long story) rang my SIL's doorbell a few weeks ago and my 2.5 yo niece asked him why he didn't have any food.

• Justnooch said:

You can make food yourself, in your home? That happens? Wuuuttttt? Lol No. Wait, I've made Ramen.. Does that count?

A detective (long story) rang my SIL's doorbell a few weeks ago and my 2.5 yo niece asked him why he didn't have any food.
    She's my soul mate.
    BLAD reppin'

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"