Cloth Diapering

Help with extremely soft water

I have been cloth diapering for almost 2 years with no problems until we moved a few months ago. Our new house has hard water but it goes through a water softener, the water is then extremely soft. I have tried turning down the water softener but then we get to much iron coming through. I have a HE FL. My wash routine started as warm quick wash with med spin, heavy duty hot wash with high spin and extra rinse, everyday since I have 2 in cloth. I have tried adding another rinse, I have tried Rockin green reg and soft, tide, Charlie's, and ecos. When I tried using less of each but got barnyard stick and if I use enough to get them clean I get buildup. If it matters I use flats and prefolds.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Help with extremely soft water

• I first tested it at home, then hand an independent water test lab come out to take samples and test. They recommended settings on the softener then retested. After the softener it's is down to 3 gpg, If we didn't have high iron count we probably wouldn't use our softener. As for the buildup, I am guessing its buildup, we are getting ammonia burns and stink right after first pee. No repelling issues.
  • My wash is already 2.5 hrs long if I add another rinse it's 3 hrs to wash a load of diapers
  • Loading the player...
  • My boys are almost 2 and 3m. Each time I decreased to 1/2 recommend then eased up to recommend.
  • I will def try then second wash at end instead on to start.
  • I was washing separate at first but my parents and in laws are over all the time and I seemed to be the only one to keep them separate so I gave up. DS1 was in sposies for 2 weeks (ended Sunday), I stripped everything (hot water) and within 2 washes was back to the same problem (using Charlie's currently). I am so frustrated!
  • Are you using charlies on all your laundry or just diapers?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is there a cap on how many times it can come up or something?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They share a room so separate changing isn't an option. They weren't in the same dipes when I had separate wet bags (pockets vs flats) and labeled wet bags, so I don't think I will ever get them to understand keeping them separate. I use Charlie's for all of my laundry and I clean my machine daily (even an empty wash cycle then left open every night).
  • Ok. Just checking. Some folks switch back and forth without issues, but seemed worth mentioning jic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"