Breastfeeding
Options

Will we ever use level 2 flow? And cup question.

DS is almost 7 months old and still happily using the level one nipple which I know is good for BFing. Will we ever need to use the level 2 or do I just start introducing a sippy/straw cup instead? When and how do you typically intro a cup? I BF morning and night and he gets expressed BM during the day when I'm at work. Thanks!

Re: Will we ever use level 2 flow? And cup question.

• Options
    We never switched from level 1 nipples. DD used a bottle at daycare until 11.5 months. We started offering a straw cup with a few ounces of water at dinner at 6 months. We had daycare start offering her lunch milk with the straw cup around 10 months, and then switched cold turkey at 11.5 (I got sick of bottles and knew she was fine with straws, so just said... This is it!) - she took to it without batting an eye.
  • Options
    my DS also used the level 1 nipple until i stopped pumping. we began offering water out of straw cup at around 7 or 8 months, but he wouldn't drink BM our of the straw cup. since he was drinking water out of the straw cup, i didn't push him. he kept using level 1 nipples until i stopped pumping when he was about 14 months. now he gets WCM at daycare, which he drinks out of a straw cup.

if your LO doesn't get frustrated with the low flow nipple, then there's no need to switch. you can introduce water in a straw cup with meals right now. it'll take them a little while to get the hang of it. straw cups are better for their oral development than sippy cups.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used level 1 the whole time he took bottles.  

I intro'ed cup with about an ounce or two of BM around 7 months.  He liked it, but either spilled the milk all over or didn't finish it.  It made me too sad to waste all that BM.  So we did water until he got the hang of it.

We actually started with one of those soft spout sippy cups recommended for ages 4-6 months. At first he had a really hard time tipping it.  Then one day I was drinking water out of my straw cup.  He wanted to try & actually got water.  (This was somewhere around 8-9 months.) I bought a bunch of straw sippies and that's actually what we started using instead of a bottle for one feeding a day at 9 months (per recommendation of pedi).  Once he got that down, we replace his other bottle with a straw cup of BM.  We still did a regular sippy cup with water with supper.  He was totally off bottles around 10.5 months and now uses a straw cup or a regular cup with no problems. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    This is all very helpful, thank you! I'll start letting him play with a straw cup of water soon. I gave him a soft sippy recently with water, but like some of you said, he spilled it or just played with it.

I have some level 2s and 3s new in the package that I bought a long time ago assuming that I would use them at some point, so I guess I can return them now. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"