Attachment Parenting
Options

Jay Gordon Sleep Method and a Crib

Hi ladies,

DH and I have decided to try the Jay Gordon method for night weaning DS once his teething pain wears off this week or next. His frequently night wakings are causing me negative health issues such as depression, irrational thinking, and hallucinations. I tend to all of LO's needs at night. He usually wants to nurse when he wakes up.

Could any of you share your experiences with this method? DS is in a crib because my bed is not baby proofed for sleeping. I do not want to cosleep at this point. I was wondering what you did when you put your LO back in the crib for soothing? I am really curious about DS sitting up and crying in bed. Should I lay on the floor all night so he knows I am there for him? Should I stand over his crib and "shush" or sing songs? Could this last hours?

Night nursing DS and the thought of sleep training has been the most stressful element of my life. I never imagined that some aspects of parenthood could be so difficult to navigate. Thanks for listening.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Jay Gordon Sleep Method and a Crib

• Options
    When I hit my limit with the night waking, Dh started putting her to bed. The first few nights, he would rock or bounce her to sleep. When she would wake motn, he would go in and rock/bounce her. After a few nights of that, she started waking less on her own. We dis have to do some intervals with her, but she was never left longer than 5-7 minutes. We tried staying in the room with her, but it made her worse. In the end, I ha e learned the differnce between her protest whines and her actual need cries. We waited til she was a year, but I think it made things better. She is much happier during the day and can make it to bedtime without melting down. She lovvvves bedtime with daddy now. A few tears for the health of your baby and your own sanity is ok. They need sleep as much as we do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pgros005 said:
     In the end, I ha e learned the differnce between her protest whines and her actual need cries. We waited til she was a year, but I think it made things better. 
    Hi @pgros005. I do think that DS is ready for this, as much of his noise at night is protest crying. I have been responding to all of his cries immediately so that DH can sleep without interruption. (DS doesn't accept DH's soothing). I am glad to know that you found your own method to help everyone in the family. 

I wish that I could continue nursing through the night, but I think that nursing every hour or every two hours is over the top. 

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"