LGBT Parenting
Options

AW: Change in protocol - whatcha think?

Hello everyone!  I just had a consultation with my doctor and she wants to change my protocol since 3 IUIs with 150 mg of Clomid didn't do the trick for me yet.  She wants to put me on Femara for CD 5-7, and then do Follistim from CD 6-8.  I've never used either medication before... She said she thinks the egg quality will be better on Femara and Follistim will give me an extra boost.  Risk of twins is around 15%, which I'm okay with.  If it happens that way, I'll be happy, actually.  I've got a pair of mothers who are desperate for grandkids so we won't have a shortage of help :P

Anyway, has anyone else done this before?  How're the injections?  I don't know how I feel about stabbing myself in the tummy for 3 days :( I realize many of you have done worse and I shouldn't complain.  I'm grateful my doctor is willing to take a more aggressive approach but I just don't know what to expect.

Re: AW: Change in protocol - whatcha think?

• Options
    I have no experience with Follistim, but am going to make the jump that maybe it is similar to Gonal-F. If that isn't true, please, someone correct me. If it is similar, the injections are no biggie. You will barely feel a thing for the most part. My Gonal-F needles are very small. It is my understanding that injectables help increase egg quality.

I'm glad you were able to formulate a new plan. Gonal-F also comes with a 20% chance of twins. We decided from the beginning that we would be ok with that. I know that risk it isn't for everyone though.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    I used Follistim for my IVF cycle -- so same med, higher dosage/longer stim time.  The shots are sub-cutaneous, no big deal at all.  As you know, it does carry a higher risk of multiples than oral fert meds.  It also has a higher success rate.  GL!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no input on the meds- I just wanted to say good luck to you this cycle! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone!  Yes, @StacyLH24, it's similar to Gonal-f.  I think they're both FSH meds that operate in the same way (though I think Gonal-f is stronger).

I'm okay with the risk of twins.  More than that is a little scary but we'd find a way to manage if it came down to it.

Sounds like the shots shouldn't be too intense, then :) I think it comes in a pen form with a small needle.  Happily, I am not afraid of needles - don't particularly like them but if it results in a baby it will definitely be worth it.

• Options
    My Gonal-F comes as a pen. The needles are pretty small. There's nothing to it!

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options

Like @ball.and.chain, I also took follistim during my IVF cycle. It comes in a pen, is easy to administer and really is not painful. I psyched myself out for it more than anything else, but really it isn't bad at all.

I have not heard of an IUI cycle with a mix of injectibles and non-injectibles before, but I am sure it is not that uncommon, and if your RE is recommending that, I am sure it is a proven method for your practice.

I have also been on Femara (not at the same time as Follistim), and that too wasn't too bad. My only real side effect was headaches. Otherwise, I responded well to it and it seemed relatively harmless.

Wishing you the best this cycle. Keep us posted! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    My only side effect from Femara was a constant headache. Otherwise, it was fine. We are fine with the possibility for multiples, too :)

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"