April 2013 Moms
Options

really considering quitting my job

So I'm really considering quitting my job. I'm a teacher and it's just too much.  I feel guilty when I'm at work and then when I'm at home I feel guilty about not working on all the school stuff I need to get done. My husband is constantly telling me what a bad mood I'm in at the end of the day.  It's not worth all the stress in my life.  We were discussing it the ither day and dh said go ahead and quit right now if I'm that unhappy but I don't want to quit u til the end of the year. I woukd also have something else lined up before quitting. I was thinking I could tutor and subbing. Anyone else have any other ideas of what I could do with an education degree?

Re: really considering quitting my job

• Options
    I do a have a response because I'm in the exact same boat! I have a masters in literacy, and have been thinking of other ways I can use my degree. I'm thinking about checking into the educational programs at the zoo, aquarium, or museum. My friends husband is Vice President of human resources at the local zoo, so I could get something there if I really wanted. But I totally understand how you feel. I could've written this thread myself. :(
  • Options
    Do you have a MAED? Teach at the college level it may be easier. But I don't know that for sure. You could do corporate education which is what I currently do. We tend to look for ed degrees

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Educational programs are great advice. Maybe be one of those teachers that homeschoolers see once a week or something? 

I am sorry you're feeling that way, just do what you think is best for your family and more importantly your emotional health. If teaching stresses you out to that point, it isn't worth it in my opinion. Though, I think it is great you'd stick around until the end of the school year.

• Options
    Could you push through the end of the year and then maybe work part time next year? Or subbing is a great option because you don't take work home with you. I did it for a year and loved it. I'm thinking I might go back to being a full time sub for a local district next year.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    Yup. That's why I quit when my maternity leave ended. I had the added stress of working in a small catholic school getting paid so little, it didn't make sense. I would suggest trying to push through to the end of school so that you don't burn any bridges you may need for recs or whatever. Quit and spend the summer looking for something more manageable.
  • Options
    It's definitely a good idea to finish out the year. For the sake of a good recommendation alone, it's important.
    For now, can you switch up anything in your classroom? I don't know how much control you have over what you teach. When I get in that mood, I try to vary what I'm doing with my students and do something I will enjoy.

Our school is frustrating me right now too- we are in mediation for our contract and get paid very poorly. I am waiting for a job to open up at the local college so I can apply there! They only teach 15 hours a week and get paid twice as much.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

GIRL!!!  I could have written this post myself.  As bad as it sounds, I hate my job.  I have a Master's in Special Education and I will have another Master's in Administration and Supervision in May.  In my district they do have homeschooling too. K-12.com or maybe a museum in your area of expertise.  You could also try one of those specialty centers that do intensive tutoring.  I'm looking for options as well without having to travel so much. 

@msameera25 What is corporate education?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sherina825 Corporate training, learning facilitators. Depending on the company they have different names but pretty much training at the corporate level.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Options
    I feel you 100%. I'm a high school English teacher (like @MKC), and it is HARD. I know that people say teachers complain too much, and many of us do, but I also think that people who have never taught don't understand how truly demanding our job is. My husband works his TAIL off at his job for 7-8 hours a day, but then he comes home and relaxes and forgets about it. It's never like that for me. I bring work home every single day. I would love a job where I could just leave work at work and have separation between home life and work life, but it will never happen. ALso, it's just so tough emotionally working with these kids who want you and NEED you but are also rejecting you and pushing you away. Some of them don't have supportive parents and you are all they have. Some of their stories are so heartbreaking that they have kept me up at night. I come home from work some days feeling physically and emotionally exhausted, and it's hard to find the energy to take care of my own kid. So if you need to walk away from that, I get it 100%!

However... I would NOT quit mid school-year. I don't know if it's different where you are, but in NC, if you quit mid school-year you are pretty much black balled from the teaching profession forever. Also, I personally have looked for other jobs and even had a couple interviews, and I will say that at least in my region, I am NOT marketable. No one wants a teacher. Corporate recruiters are either looking for someone with corporate experience, or someone young, new, fresh, and impressionable who they can train and mold. I have not been able to find anything else. So I would definitely hold off on quitting until you have something else lined up.

Good luck! Hang in there, I know it's tough!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I feel you 100%. I'm a high school English teacher (like @MKC), and it is HARD. I know that people say teachers complain too much, and many of us do, but I also think that people who have never taught don't understand how truly demanding our job is. My husband works his TAIL off at his job for 7-8 hours a day, but then he comes home and relaxes and forgets about it. It's never like that for me. I bring work home every single day. I would love a job where I could just leave work at work and have separation between home life and work life, but it will never happen. ALso, it's just so tough emotionally working with these kids who want you and NEED you but are also rejecting you and pushing you away. Some of them don't have supportive parents and you are all they have. Some of their stories are so heartbreaking that they have kept me up at night. I come home from work some days feeling physically and emotionally exhausted, and it's hard to find the energy to take care of my own kid. So if you need to walk away from that, I get it 100%!

However... I would NOT quit mid school-year. I don't know if it's different where you are, but in NC, if you quit mid school-year you are pretty much black balled from the teaching profession forever. Also, I personally have looked for other jobs and even had a couple interviews, and I will say that at least in my region, I am NOT marketable. No one wants a teacher. Corporate recruiters are either looking for someone with corporate experience, or someone young, new, fresh, and impressionable who they can train and mold. I have not been able to find anything else. So I would definitely hold off on quitting until you have something else lined up.

I've never in my life had a job (I mean, a career job) where I get to come home at the end of the day and "check out" and not think about it.  We are ALL working at nights and weekends to keep up, even if only to manage email.

BUT, teachers don't get PAID enough.  That's the real problem!  You guys work so many hours and have such important jobs and make peanuts compared to the private sector.  And that is unconscionable.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JSS1002 said:

I've never in my life had a job (I mean, a career job) where I get to come home at the end of the day and "check out" and not think about it.  We are ALL working at nights and weekends to keep up, even if only to manage email.

BUT, teachers don't get PAID enough.  That's the real problem!  You guys work so many hours and have such important jobs and make peanuts compared to the private sector.  And that is unconscionable.

Man, my husband must have the job of the century! Because he literally DOES NOT work at home. Period. Ever. Unless he is actually "working from home" one day, in which case, he works very hard all day. But he never has to do any work nights or weekends, and of that I am jealz.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    edited February 2014
    Man, my husband must have the job of the century! Because he literally DOES NOT work at home. Period. Ever. Unless he is actually "working from home" one day, in which case, he works very hard all day. But he never has to do any work nights or weekends, and of that I am jealz.
    Mine doesn't either and neither do I lol at 5pm the day is OVER.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Options
    cafecremecafecreme member
    edited February 2014
    Chiming in from June 13'...tutoring is a great alternative to working. I've been tutoring students for 3+ years now, and it's been great. I get to make my own schedule, and the pay is pretty good. When I was pregnant I tutored "full-time", about 20 hours a week, and at 30$/hr. I was making just as much as if I worked full time, 40+ hrs back at my old company. 

Right now I only tutor 2 high school students for 6 hours a week. It pays the groceries, and I get to stay home full time with my DD. 

Good luck in whatever you choose to do

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    JSS1002 said:

This! Especially when you are provided a laptop, cell phone, company paid land line and internet - you are never really "off the clock".

I agree that teachers aren't paid nearly enough though - hats off to you all!

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options

I definitely agree that you should finish out the school year.   I too have heard that districts can come after your teaching certificate if you break your contract.  And I agree that finding future teaching jobs would be be very difficult in most situations if you leave early.  If you know for sure you don't want to work in education this might work but otherwise, I'd avoid it. 

I taught for 5 years but got to the point where I became frustrated.  I had to learn that you never get ahead in teaching there is always more that needs to be done.  I ended up working on my masters in counseling during those 5 years.  And have now worked as a counselor for last 3 years.  Much more enjoyable for me and less workload compared to teaching.  YOu may consider looking into before or after school care for your school, reading teacher positions (ours teach small groups to struggling readers), homebound teacher, nannying, community college, zoos, nature centers or other places you may take  a field trip to, teacher aid (less pay but wouldn't have to take work home), or daycare director. 

• Options
    hatroopes said:
    JSS1002 said:

This! Especially when you are provided a laptop, cell phone, company paid land line and internet - you are never really "off the clock".

I agree that teachers aren't paid nearly enough though - hats off to you all!
    Yes, this exactly -- I'm "connected" 24-7.  By 'we all' I meant at MY place of employment, not, like, the whole world. I know some people do get to be done at the end of the official work day.  I overall have really good work/life balance so that isn't what I was implying either-- but if my phone rings (and it does!) I answer it, and when emails come in at all hours (and they do!) I respond -- it's all on my iPhone (I actually have two of them, one personal and one for work but that's pointless because I have work email loaded on both of them), two work laptops and a work iPad... they want to be able to reach us 100% of the time, and as technology advances, it just makes the lines between working and not working more and more blurred -- that isn't to say I don't have times when I disconnect and turn it all off and walk away, because I definitely do, but I definitely check my email periodically all night, pretty much every night.  

The difference is that they pay me what I consider to be a more than fair salary to do what I do -- which is really ridiculous given that i'm in freaking RETAIL and what I do basically is pointless... compared to teaching, nursing, etc... things that truly matter. THis is what i call the "golden handcuffs" because there is a huge part of me that would love to say "fuck it" and go back to school for nursing or teaching or something where I felt like what i do all day actually MATTERS, but I cannot wrap my brain around how little you guys get paid. And i think that sucks, and it's gonna have to be the next thing that we figure out as a society because if we want to have an educated country - turned-workforce, then we have to start incenting people to educate the masses. You aren't just baby sitters.  My sister in law is a teacher -- and a really good one, at that - and I get SO MAD when we talk about this stuff and I learn how much of their OWN money she and my brother have spent over the years on her classroom. Ridiculous.  Yet there is always money to build new sports stadiums and other things like that... 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @jss1002 Soooo can you hook me up with a job at Target ;) ? (not a cashier job, obvi... haha)
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @jss1002 Soooo can you hook me up with a job at Target ;) ? (not a cashier job, obvi... haha)

Can you move to MN and fake some marketing experience?  :-)  I'm on it!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"