Breastfeeding
Options

Overactive letdown/oversupply and baby gas issues

Any experience with overactive letdown/oversupply? I'm thinking this is becoming an issue for me. Baby chokes and sputters at least once per feeding, at both breasts. (I feed one side per feeding.) I think it's causing her to gulp/swallow too much air, and is causing big gas issues. She can wake from a deep sleep, immediately screaming. Gas is what i'm guessing it is. It's causing issues-at night, it takes her roughly 4-5 hours and several feedings to get calm enough to sleep. I don't know what to do: I had hoped to start pumping some for a stash/introduce a bottle this week... But if it's oversupply, wouldn't pumping cause a bigger issue?

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

Re: Overactive letdown/oversupply and baby gas issues

• Options
    I had to express into a towel until the flow slowed a bit and then feed him. I also reclined so that gravity would work in my favor. I did block feeding to help reduce my supply and actually cut out pumping until I got it under control. In addition I had to burp mid feeding and after each feeding and I provided gas drops as well. I gave probiotics. When he was having bad gas I would do the I love u colic massage and also found that his positioning in his reclined high hair was ideal for passing gas. I think it is something they grow out of as your supply regulated, they are better able to tolerate the flow, and as their GI tract matures. My son stopped accepting bottles, but otherwise I would have bottle fed for night feedings since that was when the gas really bothered him the most.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    @BackseatDriver, what gas drops did you use? I bought the Little Tummies brand then noticed they contain parabens, which I don't want to give my LO. Can you recommend anything else?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. After researching some last night (through the screaming while hubby was trying to ease the gas pains), I have changed a few things. I noticed our latch wasn't exactly right all the time (probably also contributing to sore nipples), and she was swallowing some air when eating. I have been relatching when this happens, even though she gets impatient with me! I started burping more often, a couple times a feeding. I changed our position-back to the football hold (we were doing cradle, but football allows her belly to be a bit lower). We will be getting some gas drops this afternoon. After doing a little bit of belly rubs and bicycle legs last night, she seemed to get some of the gas out. I did hand express a little this morning, but it didn't seem to help a bunch-she still came away choking. I have been taking that opportunity to add a burp in. I was wanting to start pumping this week... But it is intimidating! Basically, LO is 3 weeks old, and I'll be going back to work at 6 weeks. The main reason for pumping is just to get LO to take a bottle while we have time to work with her.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    I have had a major OS/OALD issue and I find that block feeding really helped. For me the problem was persistent even with feeding only one side per feeding so I had to do two feedings per side for a while to get my supply to adjust down. It also helps to unlatch during letdown and spray into a towel until the spray stops and then relatch, though sometimes LO gets worked up and screams while he has to wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"