1st Trimester

Very American lady pregnant with very German baby

Hi ladies,

I am pregnant for the first time in Berlin, Germany. I met my German boyfriend here about 3 and a half years ago and have been in the country for 8 years total. I already feel like a fish out of water. I've got no family here and my boyfriend has an elderly mother who is not gonna be an active Grandma. I have no mom friends, and not much social support. I know I can find English speaking doctors, birthing classes, and even midwifes, but I would love to feel like a part of this community. So hi everyone! I hope you will be on board with hearing about my German pregnancy experience and all the expectations this society has for my little Hansel or Gretel.

Re: Very American lady pregnant with very German baby

• Welcome! Regarding the social aspect, are there Mom groups you can join over there? Classes you can take at the hospital where you can meet other expecting Moms? What about looking for activities by the American embassy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are definitely English services and Expat mom groups. I have it pretty good in that respect. I think it would be much harder if I were in, say Poland or Hungary. I've begun looking into those services but it's still really early in my pregnancy...like 5 weeks, I think. 

Right now I want to connect with pregnant women and that's more difficult to do here. I suppose I could approach visibly pregnant women, but that seems like a weird move. Also, my German is passable, so if they are pregnant and German, our conversation will be limited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"