Babies on the Brain
Options

Overshare-ers

So I am on a business trip with a colleague all this week. His family came with us for the 11 hour trip, and while we will be in meetings they will be out shopping or something. His daughter brought her adorable 15 month old son. I had heard rumors from other coworkers about how she got pregnant as a teen, blah blah blah. But after we stopped for lunch, his wife pulled me aside and thanked me for being okay with them tagging along on this trip. She explained to me that the child was the result of a rape, and went into details about how her daughter constantly fears judgement from people because she is young and has a child.

Awkward.

This seems to happen to me quite a bit where people feel the need to tell me things that, honestly, are not my business. I never know what to say in these situations other than "thats horrible, I'm so sorry." I once had a guy I know tell me all about his recent domestic dispute with his wife, and all the legal issues he was going through. Part of me feels humbled that people are okay with telling me such things but at the same time i just want to stop them and say "Do not feel like you need to explain any further. It's not my business." Is that rude? Does this ever happen to anyone else????

Re: Overshare-ers

• Options

The plan was originally to fly. Then coworker said he was driving since he hated flying, so I agreed to go with him. He is from a place 3 hours from me but would be driving right past my city so he agreed to pick me up. He called me last week and said his family wanted to go too since there was something in the city we were going to that they wanted to see. So I was in the car for 8 hours with his wife, two daughters and the baby. He and I will be in a conference all week and the family will be doing whatever.

• Options
    If what she told you is true that's awful. It is strange when people over share like that. I usually just smile and nod and say something appropriate (like you described).

I read the 11 hour trip as being a total of 11 hours but, yeah, if it's an 11 hour day of traveling with your co-workers family that's definitely different...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah let me clarify... that was my fault.... I was with them for 8 of the 11 hours. It took them 3 to get to me, then I got in the car and rode with them for the next 8.
  • Options
    I seam to attract people that do that too.. and all it does is makes me feel awkward and I tend to smile and nod and hopefully say something appropriate... I'm not sure if there is anyway to stop people from over sharing.. 
    I think they may interpret you saying that they dont have to share as you dont care (or well thats how I think they may) which is why I just let them share and deal with the awkwardness

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

No, but I have perfected my "resting bitch face".

You are probably really friendly and a good listener, so as awkward as it can be sometimes, I would maybe take it as a compliment?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

You are probably really friendly and a good listener, so as awkward as it can be sometimes, I would maybe take it as a compliment?

Major lol at "resting bitch face"
    One of the best damn things I've ever watched. =))
  • Options

Major lol at "resting bitch face" One of the best damn things I've ever watched. =))

I was hoping someone would get the reference!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

Major lol at "resting bitch face" One of the best damn things I've ever watched. =))

I get it, because I too, suffer from bitchy resting face
  • Options
    There are certain people that just make others comfortable. You probably come off as really warm and they need someone to talk to. I have a friend like this - everyone things she is their best friend but she has told me that she really only has like 3 friends (myself included lol) and finds it odd that so many acquaintances think they are really close... she is just super friendly and has a good energy, so people disclose way more than they should.
  • Options
    LimaD said:

I get it, because I too, suffer from bitchy resting face

LOL. Best video ever!

But yes, I too get very personal stories from patients that I usually didn't want to know. I think it's because I'm friendly and they know I'll listen. It can get insanely awkward though.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't mind when random people share things, if it's something I can offer help with or encouragement. But it is incredibly awkward when that isn't the case.  I had a coworker, who I only knew for a couple days, tell me about the massive amount of credit card debt he and his family were currently in. I wanted to be like...do you think your wife wants you sharing this with everyone?? saying "that sucks" isn't helpful or productive so I just listened...awkwardly

• Options
    I'm the same way... I guess it's because I'm pretty quiet and a "good listener" (mainly because I can't think of anything smart to say!) so people are always confiding their personal business to me.  Just yesterday I was walking to a meeting with a coworker and she launched into how she was being discriminated against and was considering legal action against one of our bosses... what am I supposed to say to that??  I like her but I also like my boss....Anyways mostly I just nod and wish them the best and hope things work out!

image  image

TTC #1 May 2014

BFP 7/4/14 ~ EDD 3/17/15

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"