Breastfeeding

About the throw in the towel!

cerafina205cerafina205 member
edited February 2014 in Breastfeeding
I keep getting mastitis, I have had it 3 times about to be 4 times now and my baby is only 4 months old. So here is my background.  LO didn't want to stay latched from the  beginning so I resorted to pumping exclusively.  I pump every 3 - 4 hours.  The first time I got mastitis was when LO was a few weeks old, I had major over supply.  The second time I got mastitis was because I tried eliminating my middle of the night pumping.  The third time I got it was because the antibiotics didn't clear the infection completely from the second time.  Now I think I am getting it again for the fourth time because I tried pumping only when LO wakes up at night for her one night feeding around 3am.  I am trying to clear the plug but I think it has already started to get infected.    It's so frustrating! I want to try nursing again but I am afraid LO is too used to the bottle and won't take my breast.  I tried nursing and LO refuses to latch.  Any advice on either how to prevent mastitis when exclusively pumping or how to get LO to nurse? I want to keep breastfeeding but this is seriously taking a toll on me.   

Re: About the throw in the towel!

• Aww I'm sorry :(  Honestly, I am feeling the same way you are. I am way too stubborn to quit because I really want my baby to have breast milk. DD is 11 weeks now and I've had Mastitis twice now. The kicker for me though is that I grew abscesses with both cases and had to have both of them surgically drained. I'm so scared that I'm going to keep getting abscesses and surgery. I hate it and am miserable. I can't imagine what it's like for you to keep getting Mastitis. I'm sure you're doing everything you can to get rid of them so I have no advice except to tell you that I feel your pain. My sister had to EP since her DS stopped latching at 4 months and she kept getting a recurring plugged duct--she thought it was from the pump because DS would've emptied the breast better than the pump. She was so frustrated too, but she never had Mastitis.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • That is really frustrating. I am in a similar boat, DS is 3 months and I have been EPing because of a shallow (painful) latch.

I only got mastitis once thankfully, and it was when I was trying to nurse him but he couldn't get the milk out hence, plugged ducts.

Since I've been pumping I haven't had any issues (well except thrush, but that's nothing to do with pumping specifically)

Have you seen a LC about latching? Sometimes some skin to skin time is all it takes to get baby back to the breast. If you could do that, you wouldn't have to pump which would save time at least and might help with the plugged ducts.

Also try some breast compressions while pumping (google: hands on pumping) to try to get good emptying. That will help.

Mine is still willing (bless his little heart) but he never figured out how to get the milk out so we're pumping for the long haul.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • I ordered lethicin so we'll see how that works. I'm willing to try anything because I really don't want to keep taking antibiotics. I am hoping I can work this plug out but it doesn't look promising. I think there is a local breastfeeding support group, maybe I will look into their meetings.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. Major kudos to making it through 4 months!! 4 months is a long time, even without everything you have gone through. I second the others suggestions to see an LC and see if you can get LO to latch again, but I have to be honest, at 4 months of age, that is probably going to be challenging. Pump really often to get that clog out, don't wear bras with underwires, Bottom line, if you do have to throw in the towel, just remember that you have done AWESOME in giving your baby breastmilk for 4 entire months!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"