Breastfeeding
Options

talk to me about extended breastfeeding

As I near my goal of 1 year, I am thinking a lot about extended breastfeeding. I am definitely done pumping at 1. But I'd like do breastfeed morning and night until 2. Sadly DH isn't entirely on board. He doesn't see the benefits. I'm also getting the "why would you do that" response from a friend I mentioned it to. Can someone direct me to some solid reputable studies on the subject? Thanks.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: talk to me about extended breastfeeding

• Options

I bf my son until 16.5 months.  I didn't see any reason to stop at a year.  I'm a SAHM, so I didn't have to worry about pumping at work.  We both still enjoyed it. 

At the year mark I was still using bf'ing as a comfort tool and to get him to sleep at naptime. 

Plus, breastmilk never stops being nutritious for them. 

I think some people think of breastfeeding as a burden that you only do as long as you need to.  They don't understand that women actually enjoy it.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Don't think about it as extended breastfeeding.  I think that's part of the problem.  Just continue nursing your child without silly limitations or made-up time lines or limits.  

Also, I didn't discuss my "plans" to nurse past a certain age because there were never "plans".  I just nurse my child whenever I want.  Period.  My DH has always been supportive, but again he has absolutely no say in what I do with breastfeeding, even if he did object I wouldn't care. 

I would say to try to get your DH on board by just telling him it's best for your child.  As far as other people? Who cares what they think!  once we started nursing after about 15 months we hardly ever nursed in public anymore so really people don't have to know anyway. 

Good luck, but just continue nursing your child if you want, and know that you're making the right decision. As far as studies go, I have a few but I have to find them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mommatotwo2mommatotwo2 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate the support and advice. While my DH has been very supportive this far, I think he is a bit tired of picking up a lot of slack around the house, cooking and shopping, plus helping care for our older child and all of her school stuff, because I spend a lot of time nursing, pumping, prepping to pump, prepping bottles, etc. I will try to explain to him how much easier it will be after a year because I will be dropping pumping and bottles. I LOVE our first thing in the morning nursing session, it's our time together before we seperate for 10 hours. I also love bedtime nursing because we get to reconnect and honestly I can't think if a better way to lull her into dreamland!
    Edit because there were typos due to my 1 handed phone typing while I pump:)
  • Options
    the kellymom link is pretty comprehensive, but here are a few more links if you want them:
    LLLI- Breastfeeding Beyond a Year
    Extended Breastfeeding- Ask Dr. Sears at Parenting.com
    Breastfeed a Toddler- Why on Earth- Dr. Jack Newman, breastfeeding expert
    MayoClinic- Extended Breastfeeding

to echo PPs- it gets easier and easier and continues to have health benefits for you and your child. and it's really no one's business but yours! keep going as long as it makes sense for you and your LO.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that once you ditch the pump everything will seem a lot easier, and soooo much less work - nothing to wash, no spending time for the actual pumping, etc. i kind if figured I'd start weaning DS at age one, but now I have no plans to wean anytime soon, unless he self-weans. It's just so easy now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In our case, first thing in the morning nursing is awesome as a lot of the time, LO will wake at 6, nurse and then go back to sleep for another hour or two. Yay for sleeping in more on weekends!
  • Options

DS is going to be TWO next month and he is NO where NEAR giving up his boob time. I never imagined to be nursing this long...but it works for us and ThANk GOD it does. Just this past weekend he had a tummy bug and didnt/could eat and keep anything down except my milk. My DH is so on board with our nursing still. I did however get the LOOK and comments from my Father and no choose to not mention it to others. Its our family our child our time. there are some great articles out about extended bf' and the benefits of personal and emothional development for lo. I have no idea how much longer we plan on going...some days I am so done as LO still wakes at night asking for his boobie and I am really missing sleep. But all in all....I love that we have gone on this far and long and love that my LO loves this time together still.

Don't let "social Norms" affect this amazing gift you two are able to share.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I nursed DD1 until 21 months.  Like a PP mentioned it was great when she was sick because she wouldn't eat, but always wanted milk.  I loved the connections, and so did she.  We only weaned because I was pregnant, and struggling. 
    As far as what anyone else (outside of your DH) thinks I would just say that you are doing what is best for you.  I know my in-laws thought it was strange that I continued to nurse DD...my FIL would ask "you are still making milk?"  Ha ha ha.  I just let them think what they wanted to think.  I didn't nurse a ton in public, but I never avoided it either.  DD would ask if she was hurt, or tired and I would go ahead and nurse her.  Most moms would comment "good for you!  I wish I nursed longer."  When I would tell another mom I was still nursing a few times they would say "oh we are too, but just at night or the morning."  I think in my circle of moms it was actually a lot more common, but you just didn't see it. 
  • Options
    I only "planned" to nurse until a year but the closer we got to that point the more I realized neither of us were ready to quit so here we are still nursing at almost 15 months with no signs of backing off. My hubby wasn't all about it at first but I didn't give him many options, and he came around. He loves the fact that nursing can heal almost any boo boo and is perfect at nap/bedtime. I don't think you owe anyone any sort of explanation about why you are choosing to continue. Also my thought for the day on breastfeeding is we start giving our kids WCM at 1 years old, and what exactly is that? Basically cow breast milk. So, it's socially acceptable to give your child the breast milk of another animal but not okay to continue you feed her the milk that is intended for her? Don't feel bad for continuing to breast feed and don't let anyone bully you into quitting before you are ready. You could contact your local WIC office for back up on why "extended" breast feeding is great, WHO also has some good stuff and I know our pediatrician has loads of info on the pro's of nursing a toddler.
  • Options
    halfthetree halfthetree member
    edited February 2014
    I had *planned* to nurse until 1, but then we just kinda kept going. DS self weaned at 3 years. The last year of our Breastfeeding relationship was so lovely. It was an awesome way to reconnect at night and kept us very close. And he still needed it for comfort, nothing else helped him as much when he was sick or hurt.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! I am definitely looking forward to ditching the pump at a year!! I do really enjoy breastfeeding now, except for the darn pumping. I know I will enjoy it so much more once the pressure is off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"