August 2013 Moms
Options

Polio-like Illness on California - WTactualF?

I figured this board has been pretty boring lately so I may as well PW it up a little.

This is kind of scary mostly because they seem to have no clue what is going on. This article says 5 but another article said there are up to 25 cases being investigated. Ummmm...

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/health/mystery-illness-in-california/

Re: Polio-like Illness on California - WTactualF?

• Options
    Totally should be "in" CA. I'm a boner.

• Options
    Remember the movie Lorenzo's Oil?

That movie haunts me now that I have a baby.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Curious to see if any of the Californians on the board are close to the area of outbreak? How are daycares and schools responding?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Katie6202 said:
    Curious to see if any of the Californians on the board are close to the area of outbreak? How are daycares and schools responding?
    Not gonna name names, but when we had our "warm snuggle time" when we all shared where we were, a couple of girls indicated their locations were within a 30 mile radius. I myself am about 2 hours from on of the outbreaks.

I was able to find several other articles that confirm 25 cases being investigated, but only 5 they are certain are all the same syndrome.

• Options
    BellaOso said:

Katie6202 said:

Not gonna name names, but when we had our "warm snuggle time" when we all shared where we were, a couple of girls indicated their locations were within a 30 mile radius. I myself am about 2 hours from on of the outbreaks.

I was able to find several other articles that confirm 25 cases being investigated, but only 5 they are certain are all the same syndrome.

Fuck. Were any close to LA?

• Options
    Katie6202 said:

The already confirmed cases were mostly centered in the Bay Area from the sounds of things, but it sounded like the rest were scattered throughout California. Eeep.

• Options
    They* Dammit! I need some fucking REM sleep.

• Options
    BellaOso said:

BellaOso said:

Katie6202 said:

The already confirmed cases were mostly centered in the Bay Area from the sounds of things, but it sounded like the rest were scattered throughout California. Eeep.

Uuuggh.

• Options
    Scary :( You and your LOs be safe, California ladies! 

• Options
    Pretty scary. They're even advertising "free polio" vaccinations on the radio.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If I'm reading the news correctly, the kids who got sick were vaccinated against polio.  The disease they got is caused by a different but related virus, not the one that the vaccination is against.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're one of the ones close to this. Currently very thankful that LO stays home.

I have seen how polio can affect you and I don't wish that on anyone. Polio vaccines are a huge push where I was in Africa and if you knew any of the polio victims there you would never question getting the vaccine.
  • Options

vulpini said:
    If I'm reading the news correctly, the kids who got sick were vaccinated against polio.  The disease they got is caused by a different but related virus, not the one that the vaccination is against.
    Yes - that is the scary part! The vaccine doesn't cover this particular virus (they aren't even calling it polio at all, just similar to. They also didn't really give any guidelines regarding the spread of this virus. Soooooo scary.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"