Two Under 2
Options

Planning baby #2 when little guy is 5 months old

We have a little guy who just turned 5 months and are wanting to start trying for baby #2. We are over 35 so we want to get busy with having the kiddos. Lot of forums give mixed reviews of having kids close together so just wanted to get some feedback from people who have 2 under 2 please. Likes, dislikes, any thing you can share would be great. Thank you!!!

Re: Planning baby #2 when little guy is 5 months old

• Options
    Mine are 15 months apart. It can be hard when they both need something at the same time. I like that they are close in age because they will grow up together and always have someone to play with. Sometimes, I have heard when children are too far apart in age they cannot play together as much because of the big age gap. It can get tiring because your 1st LO is still hitting milestones and will start walking, crawling, etc while you are pregnant. If need be, they are close enough in age to share a room.

DD brings pacis, blankets, etc. to DS all the time because she thinks it is fun to help out. Incorporating the oldest in activities dealing with the baby will allow them to feel included and can avoid jealousy issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options

I like the idea of the kids playing together and potential for room sharing initially. I have a huge age gap between myself and my next sibling but then I had 3 siblings born in 5 years. They are all close and I want that for my kids. Thanks for the tips...I like the idea of making baby #1 a little helper so he feels included and not jealous. Thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first two are 13 months apart and we love the age gap!  DS just turned six months and we are trying for #3. There are crazy moments, but for the most part 2u2 is way easier than everyone made it out to be. Plus, the benefits far outweigh any difficulties.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    My first two are 13 months apart and we love the age gap!  DS just turned six months and we are trying for #3. There are crazy moments, but for the most part 2u2 is way easier than everyone made it out to be. Plus, the benefits far outweigh any difficulties.
    I think a lot of it also deals with the personalities of your children. Some people have two easy babies while others may have 1 or both difficult babies. I was expecting it to be sheer craziness, and sometimes it is, but nowhere near what people were describing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    My second baby was a million times more difficult than my first. The first 5 months were really hard but now 8 months into it I love the age gap (17 months). We would probably go for 3u3 but I want a break from being pregnant/nursing this summer so we are aiming for 3u3.5

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Mine are 19.5 mos apart.  The first 6 mos or so was very difficult but I can't really imagine a world where it wouldn't be.  A 2.5 yo is still challenging just in a different way.  Mine are now 3 and 17 mos and play together all day.  They have so much fun together.  I would not change a thing.  

• Options
    I agree with TaviaBrad.  A lot of it does depend on the temperament of your children.  I also think if you if you go into thinking it won't be a cake walk you won't be disappointed.  My son was was difficult and needy up until about 3-4 months but my daughter on the other hand has been very easy going.  There is a 12.5 month age gap between the two and I am now getting to see them interact together and I love it. It just melts my heart they way they play together and can cheer each other up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely the temperament. Mine are just shy of 12 months apart. My oldest was the easiest baby ever. STTN from 2 months on etc. The only issue we ever had with him was a couple months of colic that came at 4:30 every night. He is now a difficult toddler. My youngest has been a very high needs baby. Always needs held, sleeps for 3 hour stretches (still at 6 months), severe AR, struggled with severe jaundice for almost a month after birth. I could go on. I am starting to see a change in his temperament (like a switch) and things have gotten substantially easier in the last month, but it really is dependent on the attitudes of your lo's how it will go for you.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"