May 2013 Moms
Options

Allergic Reaction to Amoxicillan (long)

It has been a really tough month. Three weeks ago we took LO in to the pedi because she had a pretty bad cold. At that point, her ears and everything looked good, so they just sent us home with your typical advice for a cold. 10ish days later, she was getting worse and worse, so we took her back in and now she had an ear infection. So they put her on amoxicillan. This was her second time on the med. On day eight of the course, she woke up screaming at 5 am and when I took her sleeper off to change her diaper, she was covered in hives on her belly and upper legs. I called the on call line for our pediatricians office and the nurse told us that it sounded like a non-allergic rash from amoxicillin, and that 10 percent of kids have this happen, that it's not harmful, and that it would be safe to continue the med and to send her to daycare, that it wasn't anything contagious or anything that would cause her discomfort. This felt like the wrong thing to do, but I trusted her advice. I called daycare and explained what was going on, before I dropped off my rashy baby with no warning. At 830, the pedi's office called and said that they felt she should be seen. They even asked us to knock on the back door and come in that way, in case she had something contagious. So, at this point, I'm starting to get panicky, because we've gone from "no big deal, just a non-harmful rash" to "we're so concerned about what your kid might have, we don't want you to bring her around other kids.". So I go and pick her up from daycare and bring her in. By now, the rash has spread to her entire body.

The doctor took one look at her and told us it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillan. She said that she is now considered allergic to all penicillin medications. She said to stop the med (thanks first on call nurse for advising us to push more allergen down by kids throat), and that no treatment was necessary, that it would go away in 5-7 days. We went home and she was pretty miserable for the rest of the day. The next morning she woke up crying again and the hives were way, way worse. I paged the on call again and this time I demanded to have the actual pedi paged. He told us to give her benedryl, which we started right away and have been giving around the clock since. All day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, she looked pretty awful. Yesterday, she finally started looking better, and today, 90% of the hives are gone, with just some very light ones here and there.

My heart has been breaking for her this whole time and I'm frustrated with the pediatricians on call line giving us bad advice, and then the first pediatrician telling us she didn't need any treatment. I'm so thankful that she is finally getting better. I was surprised that this reaction happened on day 8 of her SECOND course of antibiotics in 3 months, but the doctor explained that's how it works, that the body starts becoming more and more reactive each time it's exposed to an allergen.

Thanks for listening.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Allergic Reaction to Amoxicillan (long)

• Options
    I'm so sorry this happened! The same thing happened to my oldest when he was 6 months old. The on call dr at out pediatrician had said the same thing to just keep giving it. Thankfully we ignored it and took him to the ER. He can't have anything with any penicillin in it at all. Thankfully the meds they give instead finally got a generic form a couple years ago! The name brand cost a fortune!
  • Options
    KatieCGC said:

I'm so so so sorry. So scary for you and I totally understand your frustration with the pedi.I hope your LO continues to feel better.  

The same thing happened with my nephew...he actually had to go on steroids because the benadryl wasn't working. His rash/inflammation had also started to effect his joints. My SIL said he kept pointing at his skin saying "itchy" and pointing at his knees/elbows and saying "owie". DH and his sister are both allergic to all the -cillian drugs, so we have to keep a close eye on DS if he has amoxicillian again.
    The exact same thing happened to my nephew. My SIL had taken him to the pedi and they gave him amoxicillin which wasn't the first time he had been on it. He said his knees hurt and my SIL freaked because he was like 5 years old and his knees were the size of softballs. She took him to an urgent care and they started to think he had MRSA in his joints. They admitted him to the hospital and did all kinds of lab work and turned out he was allergic to the amoxicillin the pedi put him on. He then broke out in the biggest hives I have ever seen. He was pitiful. He went home on steroids and had an issue on those and ended up back in the hospital. Poor guy was a mess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor lil girl. Sorry she had to go through all of that. Hope she keeps feeling better.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    You know, I am had something similar happen with Jack. Day 10 of his medicine he woke up with all blotchy red marks everywhere. It went way and came back worse the next day except on that day it started puking everywhere. We went to the on call pedi and she dismissed it as dry skin and the puking was an unrelated virus. 

He has never had those patches again. I am still skeptical that he wasn't having an allergic reaction.
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh goodness. That all sounds rough. I hope everything improves soon.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone, it was definitely terrifying.

@KatieCGC, we were actually given a list of things to watch for, and joint pain/stiffness was one of them. They said since she is too little to tell us, that we just needed to watch her for signs, like her not wanting to crawl, etc. Thankfully that has not happened. I guess if that happens, or any of the other things, like a high fever, bloodshot eyes, vomiting, etc, than it can be "serum sickness", which is something even more severe.  They did mention to us that if the hives didn't go away within a week or so, that we'd talk steroids.

@nbatchen, I feel like such a jerk for trusting that nurse. I never should have. But, it was 5 am and I was really calling for advice on what to do, go to the ER? call 911? give benedryl? When she acted like it was no big thing, I was too busy being relieved that she wasn't in danger, that I didn't even stop to think that her advice was ridiculous. I will never forgive myself :( Thank goodness the reaction wasn't worse.

@Oohgurl, I hope that Jack isn't allergic and that maybe his was just the "non-allergic" rash that our nurse was trying to describe. I hate that they just dismiss things as no big deal. These are BABIES!

• Options
    In sorry this happened! My DH is allergic to penicillin so we will have to watch LO. Glad your LO is feeling better.

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    I am sorry this happened. Everytime I call after hours and speak to the nurse on call we end up having to bring dd in the next day. Good mama for staying persistent!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This happenend to me as a child and I now can't take any penicillin based medicine. I also am allergic to aspirin too. I guess it's common for those two to be together. So maybe keep an eye out for that as well.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone. @Emmy236, good to know about the aspirin, I will keep that in mind for sure.
  • Options
    My goodness, what a stressful situation.
    I'm sorry your LO had to go through that. I'm glad she's getting better.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The exact same thing happened to my 2 year old with amoxicillin and sulfa drugs & another cillin with myself. Make sure your pharmacist is aware of the situation as I've had doctors prescribe me antibiotics I cannot have. I haven't had that happen so far with ODS...so that makes me feel better about our pedi.

My cillin reaction is actually more severe as not only did I have hives but my entire body swelled up. My face looked like a Cabbage Patch Doll..it was awful. Anyways I always have Benadryl on hand for both of us in case of another allergic reaction. Once you have one issue to antibiotics it can happen with others or other meds. The reaction can be hives, swelling, or wheezing.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you and your LO are going through this. Sending prayers for improvement!

• Options
    I'm really sorry you had the stress of not only a sick baby but getting the wrong advice. I'm really glad she's on the mend. Poor baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the thought s and great advice, she looked 100 percent better this morning. Of course that was through bleary eyes since she wanted to nurse all night long..
    It's been a long day at work as a result, but after what she's been through...she can have anything she wants!
  • Options
    So sorry this happened to you. There is no worse feeling in the world then your child being sick. Hope she continues to get better.
  • Options
    It has been a really tough month. Three weeks ago we took LO in to the pedi because she had a pretty bad cold. At that point, her ears and everything looked good, so they just sent us home with your typical advice for a cold. 10ish days later, she was getting worse and worse, so we took her back in and now she had an ear infection. So they put her on amoxicillan. This was her second time on the med. On day eight of the course, she woke up screaming at 5 am and when I took her sleeper off to change her diaper, she was covered in hives on her belly and upper legs. I called the on call line for our pediatricians office and the nurse told us that it sounded like a non-allergic rash from amoxicillin, and that 10 percent of kids have this happen, that it's not harmful, and that it would be safe to continue the med and to send her to daycare, that it wasn't anything contagious or anything that would cause her discomfort. This felt like the wrong thing to do, but I trusted her advice. I called daycare and explained what was going on, before I dropped off my rashy baby with no warning. At 830, the pedi's office called and said that they felt she should be seen. They even asked us to knock on the back door and come in that way, in case she had something contagious. So, at this point, I'm starting to get panicky, because we've gone from "no big deal, just a non-harmful rash" to "we're so concerned about what your kid might have, we don't want you to bring her around other kids.". So I go and pick her up from daycare and bring her in. By now, the rash has spread to her entire body.

The doctor took one look at her and told us it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillan. She said that she is now considered allergic to all penicillin medications. She said to stop the med (thanks first on call nurse for advising us to push more allergen down by kids throat), and that no treatment was necessary, that it would go away in 5-7 days. We went home and she was pretty miserable for the rest of the day. The next morning she woke up crying again and the hives were way, way worse. I paged the on call again and this time I demanded to have the actual pedi paged. He told us to give her benedryl, which we started right away and have been giving around the clock since. All day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, she looked pretty awful. Yesterday, she finally started looking better, and today, 90% of the hives are gone, with just some very light ones here and there.

My heart has been breaking for her this whole time and I'm frustrated with the pediatricians on call line giving us bad advice, and then the first pediatrician telling us she didn't need any treatment. I'm so thankful that she is finally getting better. I was surprised that this reaction happened on day 8 of her SECOND course of antibiotics in 3 months, but the doctor explained that's how it works, that the body starts becoming more and more reactive each time it's exposed to an allergen.

Thanks for listening.

I'm so sorry that happened to your LO. I found out I was allergic to Amoxicillin a few years ago the same way. I had strep throat for the second time in my life. I was fine the first time I took it for strep throat but the second time I had that reaction well into the medicine cycle. The hives also got worse before they got better. That stinks the nurse on call said the keep giving the medicine and then to find out you need to stop and come in instead. Hope your LO feels better soon!
  • Options

Thanks so much everyone, it was definitely terrifying.

@KatieCGC, we were actually given a list of things to watch for, and joint pain/stiffness was one of them. They said since she is too little to tell us, that we just needed to watch her for signs, like her not wanting to crawl, etc. Thankfully that has not happened. I guess if that happens, or any of the other things, like a high fever, bloodshot eyes, vomiting, etc, than it can be "serum sickness", which is something even more severe.  They did mention to us that if the hives didn't go away within a week or so, that we'd talk steroids.

@nbatchen, I feel like such a jerk for trusting that nurse. I never should have. But, it was 5 am and I was really calling for advice on what to do, go to the ER? call 911? give benedryl? When she acted like it was no big thing, I was too busy being relieved that she wasn't in danger, that I didn't even stop to think that her advice was ridiculous. I will never forgive myself :( Thank goodness the reaction wasn't worse.

@Oohgurl, I hope that Jack isn't allergic and that maybe his was just the "non-allergic" rash that our nurse was trying to describe. I hate that they just dismiss things as no big deal. These are BABIES!

Awe, I know it's hard to not beat yourself up but you were just trusting the nurse - not your fault! Thank G-d Lo is ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"