Natural Birth
Options

41 weeks?

Im 40w1d today and a FTM. My OB is very supportive of an unmedicated birth but has talked about induction at 41 weeks. I really dont want to be induced! I have an appt on monday with her and she said we may have to pick a date at that point. Im trying some natural things (sex, eating dates, etc) but nothing is working. My OBs concern is that the placenta is not as viable passed 41 weeks. I know i was born at 42 weeks but that was back in the 80s. Is 41 weeks really the new "cut-off"?

Re: 41 weeks?

• Options
    I've heard 42. My birth center will require me to be transferred out to a hospital at 42 weeks.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
  • Options
    My last baby was born at 41w6d.  She was healthy and my placenta looked perfect after delivery.

Are you having any tests done?  I had a NST done at 41w and the baby was doing fine, so I felt confident in my decision not to induce.  At 41w5d I had my membranes stripped and went into labor a few hours later.  Maybe that would do the trick for you. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can definitely go to at least 42. Tell her you'll agree to additional monitoring (nst) but you want to wait on induction until 42 weeks. My midwives don't even schedule induction until you're 42 weeks, so you're close to 43 before it gets done.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What does NST stand for?
  • Options

What does NST stand for?

j
    none stress test! my oldest was born at 42 weeks 1 day ( i went into labor on my own btw) and the placenta and baby were prefectly healthy. personally i would never agree to an induction before 42 weeks unless the nst showed the baby needed to be out sooner.

• Options
    Nst all the way. It's non invasive and will tell you good info.
  • Options
    Try evening primrose oil and drink red raspberry leaf tea, lots of it. It works for some women. And try a hot bath
  • Options
    I had at least 2 NSTs a week the last month of pregnancy. The doctors were concerned about my high BP, and the NST confirmed that the baby was doing well. They also did an ultrasound to check the fluid level, baby's reflexes, respiration, and I think the placenta. If any of those factors were concerning, we would have discussed induction.
    You might ask about these tests to help delay induction. Some doctors may make you sign waivers .
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited January 2014
    Both my kids were born past 41 weeks. It's a reasonable request to volunteer for non-stress tests/biophysical profiles every few days past 41 weeks. Just be aware your OB may be prepared to push induction if ANYthing looks out of the norm (I had an induction scare over low amniotic fluid w my first). But, if you are comfortable w the results and are willing to ask for and sign an Against Medical Advice form if it comes down it, then do that. You have a right to refuse induction purely bc of due dates. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    At my office provided everything looks good the recommendation is the evening of 41w6d.  I would push for more time.
  • Options
    Ok thanks ladies, this is super helpful!
  • Options
    My OB let's you go 41 weeks give or take a few days depending on the safety of Mom and newborn. LO was born at 40 weeks 5 days. LO # 2 is due in about 4 weeks. For me the first time we did a ton of walking and had a lot of sex. When the baby is ready it will come but those two things at least kept us busy, ha ha.
  • Options
    Definitely ask to be monitored with non stress tests or biophysical profiles. I was induced at 41 weeks and when it didnt work I asked to go home and my doctors were great about it. I went home sans baby, was monitored and unfortunately induced again at 42. Baby was perfectly healthy and didnt look overdue at all. Still had vernix, was 6 lbs, 13oz. The placenta can start to deteriorate, but with good monitoring you will know whether or not that is even starting to happen. Some babes just take a little longer. I meet a new doctor Tuesday who will actually let you go to 43 weeks and a few days if everything looks good. I may be switching to him.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    i had a non stress test at 40w6d with my DD and they induced me that day...just be prepared
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my first baby, my ob was very supportive of an unmedicated birth. She even made it sound like it would be a very easy thing to do when you put your mind to it. I have never had a problem with pain, I have always been extremely tough. But when my contractions started, not even the actual birth, it was so painful I couldn't even talk or move. I was stuck in this one spot crying and just making little whimpering noises. Anyway, my point is that yes, people have done natural births, it's not unheard of, but about half if not more of the people who wanted a natural birth, change their mind when they find out how bad the pain is. Sadly, most of the time birth plans and things of that nature go out the window when it finally comes down to it.
    Not saying you can't do it, just thought id let you know there is nothing wrong with the medication they give you.
  • Options
    Rogue237Rogue237 member
    edited February 2014
    You can definitely go to at least 42. Tell her you'll agree to additional monitoring (nst) but you want to wait on induction until 42 weeks. My midwives don't even schedule induction until you're 42 weeks, so you're close to 43 before it gets done.
    My Midwife is the same. Up to 42 weeks is fine, and at that point, they'll even let you go a few days more if you agree to non-stress tests daily. 
  • Options
    My ob said at 41 weeks their policy is to induce:( can I refuse this?I said will you measure/how will you know it has to be time,and she just said they go by date.1 week past 'due date' is time apparently?
  • Options
    knate13 said:
    My ob said at 41 weeks their policy is to induce:( can I refuse this?I said will you measure/how will you know it has to be time,and she just said they go by date.1 week past 'due date' is time apparently?
    Yes! As others have said, ask for the non-stress tests to verify that baby is doing just fine. Then, GET OUT of the office. Do not agree to be induced at an appointment. Tell them you need to go home and talk things over with your partner. I would think some emotional manipulation is coming your way, but be strong, lady. As long as your NSTs come back okay, most providers seem willing to compromise. Best of luck to you!

• Options
    knate13 said:
    You absolutely can refuse and that goes for anything related to your care.  Provided you are able to make decisions for yourself, you can always refuse.  That being said I think the best way to ensure a positive outcome is to find a provider who is supportive of your birth wishes, if that is possible.  Do you think your doctor will be supportive, have you asked specific questions regarding your hopes for your baby's birth?

• Options
    With my first baby, my ob was very supportive of an unmedicated birth. She even made it sound like it would be a very easy thing to do when you put your mind to it. I have never had a problem with pain, I have always been extremely tough. But when my contractions started, not even the actual birth, it was so painful I couldn't even talk or move. I was stuck in this one spot crying and just making little whimpering noises. Anyway, my point is that yes, people have done natural births, it's not unheard of, but about half if not more of the people who wanted a natural birth, change their mind when they find out how bad the pain is. Sadly, most of the time birth plans and things of that nature go out the window when it finally comes down to it. Not saying you can't do it, just thought id let you know there is nothing wrong with the medication they give you.
    We all find your anecdotal evidence very enlightening.  
    MUD
  • Options
    With my first baby, my ob was very supportive of an unmedicated birth. She even made it sound like it would be a very easy thing to do when you put your mind to it. I have never had a problem with pain, I have always been extremely tough. But when my contractions started, not even the actual birth, it was so painful I couldn't even talk or move. I was stuck in this one spot crying and just making little whimpering noises. Anyway, my point is that yes, people have done natural births, it's not unheard of, but about half if not more of the people who wanted a natural birth, change their mind when they find out how bad the pain is. Sadly, most of the time birth plans and things of that nature go out the window when it finally comes down to it. Not saying you can't do it, just thought id let you know there is nothing wrong with the medication they give you.
    How exactly is your story even vaguely related to the question posted? She didn't ask about unmedicated birth plans. She asked about the viability of the placenta after 41 weeks.  Maybe you should spend a little more time actually reading the posts and a little less time worrying about the most inflammatory comments you can make.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, please push for more time...I mean obviously sticking with your birth plan is way more important then the health of the baby.  Honestly, YOU need to do the research, but at this point when you don't know terms like NST---it makes me think you're in the dark.  So instead of taking the advice of those on the internet, I would suggest taking the advice of your medical school graduate, years of training MD.  If you don't like MD (you know because she's pushing you to have the baby now) then AT least get a second opinion from a trained professional.    
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I went as far as 42 weeks and 2 days and my placenta did not show any signs of Aging. The ultra sound guy was actually really impressed about the condition of the placenta. I used acupuncture, castor oil, primrose oil and did long and powerful walks in order to avoid being induced without being dilated. It worked and I started labor myself. Did not need the gel but had to be given synthetic oxytocine or pitocin so then I wanted morphine and an epidural. Did not need instrumental intervention not did I tear or need an episiotomy. The labor in hospital lasted 12 hours. It's nonsense to induce before 42 weeks. Some babies just need that time and come out when they're ready. My boy is super healthy and so was his placenta. Don't let yourself be bullied into an induction!
  • Options

My Ob says they let you go till 41 weeks, but also told me one of her co-workers wasn't even scheduling C-sections for VBAC until they actually got to 41 w.  So I'm guessing that if they actually waited until 41 w to schedule the C section, you would still have a few days until you went under. 

I know they try not to induce VBAC, which is what I'm dealing with.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"