March 2014 Moms

Gift Suggestions for a Priest - Baby's Baptism

My cousin is a priest and is flying down in May to do our new baby's Baptism with us.  Anybody have any thoughtful gift suggestions?  I'm drawing a blank.

Re: Gift Suggestions for a Priest - Baby's Baptism

• Money. Most clergy persons are up to their ears in thoughtful trinkets and really would just prefer cash. Since it is your cousin I would do a nice letter/card to capture your thoughts.
  • A donation to his church or organization that he is close to? Our priest was Hs rector from college. He uses the money to do something for the kids in the dorm building. Did the same withe money we gave him when he married us. We also wrote him a nice note.
  • Loading the player...
  • It just feels a little weird giving $ to my cousin.  It makes sense though - seems like it would be the most useful thing for him.  I don't imagine he will be super close to LO - we see him about once or twice a year.  Maybe I should ask how much his plane ticket is and cover that, or part of that anyway.
  • Maybe a gift card to a nice restaurant or a store you think he might like. I definitely think you should offer to cover some or all of his plane ticket. :-)
    imageimage
  • ceh789 said:

Money. Most clergy persons are up to their ears in thoughtful trinkets and really would just prefer cash. Since it is your cousin I would do a nice letter/card to capture your thoughts.

What, you don't think he needs another one of these? But it's a CLASSIC!!!

OP, in all seriousness I agree with all the PP who say help cover his plane ticket and get him a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. Especially since he's traveling, a physical gift might be tricky to take back. And unless he's a cardinal, priests don't make very much money.

Either that or maybe he doesn't have this painting yet??

I'll stop now. Please know that I am a cradle Catholic and mean no disrespect. I just....can't....help....myself.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He's not a cardinal yet  :) I think we will see about the plane ticket, or at least try and split the cost with him. I still wanted to do something more personal for him since he is my cousin.  I was thinking about afterwards making a photo mug of all of us and sending that to him too. He drinks coffee and those get broken - especially if he is like DH!! I think shutterfly even has the option to fill it with chocolate. Thanks for the input!
  • Awh, the shutterfly idea is a great one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"