Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Clueless FIL

So I had to share this because it's just so ridiculous it's funny.

My FIL is one of the nicest guys in the world, but he just really lacks a lot of common sense. He has a boat that DH and I get tons of use out of every summer. DH spent every summer growing up boating and I have the same plans for DS...when he's old enough. I am due July 8 and FIL asked if the baby would be coming on the boat this year. He insisted that DH would have as a baby except he was born in November. I thought it was just the dumbest suggestion I had ever heard, but politely responded that I think we will wait until he can hold his own head up before bringing him boating, and by that point boating season will be over, so next year is looking good. He waved it off, insisting "Oh there's been infants on that boat before!" Yeah, but not NEWBORNS!!! I just let it go knowing that I'm the mom and will not be allowing it. DH agrees with me. I mean seriously??? Why would it even be worthwhile to bring him? Someone would have to be tightly holding him the whole time not enjoying themselves. Not to mention his sensitive skin in the sun, the germs in lake water he'd be exposed to before vaccines, and of course the possibility of him falling in the water (do they even make life vests that small?) or being shaken by the movement of the boat....

I don't think he'll be babysitting with that kind of judgement.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image          image

Re: Clueless FIL

• It depends on what kind of boat it is.

If it's a jon boat or bass boat, next year will be a maybe.

If it's large enough to have a cabin, enjoy your family time and take any other protective measure you normally would taking the baby outside in the summer.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • No, it's a ski boat. No cabin, no covering, and fast speeds.
    image          image

• Loading the player...
  • It really doesn't seem like enough to warrant calling your fil clueless. He's excited to carry on tradition with his grandson. Just tell him no and don't engage in conversation with him anymore about it.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I don't see a problem with taking LO out for a boat ride (provided they drive slow, and the water is pretty calm), if he means going out racing around and bumping through wakes and waves I would say no...but I HIGHLY doubt you or your DH would drop your LO in the lake..lol. I would maybe mention you might be ok with a gentle ride and see what he says to that...I doubt he has high expectations for an exciting ride.
  • I would certainly hope not! I guess from your responses I am being overprotective? It was just such an immediate red flag to me (and he kind of has a track record of non sensical thought processes) that I dismissed it right away but I guess maybe I'll keep an open mind and see how DS is doing after the first month. I doubt I'D be up for a boat ride before then! So any suggestions on where to find a newborn sized life jacket?
    image          image

• I would certainly hope not! I guess from your responses I am being overprotective? It was just such an immediate red flag to me (and he kind of has a track record of non sensical thought processes) that I dismissed it right away but I guess maybe I'll keep an open mind and see how DS is doing after the first month. I doubt I'D be up for a boat ride before then! So any suggestions on where to find a newborn sized life jacket?
    I know Amazon has some.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I don't think you are being overprotective at all. My family are avid waterskiiers, and when we had our first LO we owned our own boat. We ended up selling it because boats and babies just don't go together. Despite the safety issues (boating is a risky activity for anyone, let alone a newborn), its just no fun for anyone when a teeny baby is along for the ride. There will be many many years of great memories on the water. No need to rush it. Our oldest is now 6, and loves waterskiing and tubing and anything water related! Now he's super fun to take out on the boat. But he was about 3 or 4 before he really enjoyed himself. Before that, both our kids were much happier to just hang out on the beach and play in the sand and swim. This baby will likely stay at the beach with Grandma for the next couple summers while his brother and sister are enjoying the water.
  • glk25 said:

I don't think you are being overprotective at all. My family are avid waterskiiers, and when we had our first LO we owned our own boat. We ended up selling it because boats and babies just don't go together. Despite the safety issues (boating is a risky activity for anyone, let alone a newborn), its just no fun for anyone when a teeny baby is along for the ride. There will be many many years of great memories on the water. No need to rush it. Our oldest is now 6, and loves waterskiing and tubing and anything water related! Now he's super fun to take out on the boat. But he was about 3 or 4 before he really enjoyed himself. Before that, both our kids were much happier to just hang out on the beach and play in the sand and swim. This baby will likely stay at the beach with Grandma for the next couple summers while his brother and sister are enjoying the water.

This. We sold our boat too. To the pp who said you wouldn't drop LO in the lake... Waters can change quick and you can't control other drivers.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with you. The thought of it makes me cringe. I'm almost positive that doesn't count as being overprotective either.
  • megsswm said:
    We have an infant life vest ... Oneil makes it.... We also have a wakeboat and plan to have dD in it this summer granted she will be six months old or more by then.... Not a newborn. The hum of the engines usually put babies to sleep. We have had an eight week old on our boat and she was just fine slept the whole time.
    We also had our kids out in boats.   We did wait until they were 6 months old and fit in the life vest properly.  In our family it is important  that my husband and I wear life vests when we are boating with or without the kids.  I am great swimmer, but if an accident should occur I want to be able to help my kids easily.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"