One & Done: Only child
Options

So my DH tells me....

That I need to freshen my look up a bit. He bought me a gift card to a clothing store and told me to go buy some new clothes and jewelry. I haven't really bought a lot of clothing since DS. Honestly I kind of put myself on the back burner and all of my money usually goes to him. I think the problem is before DS I had all the time in the world to get ready for work in the morning. Now it's a struggle to get up make breakfast, keep DS entertained, and get both of us dressed and out the door on time. Mind you DH leaves for work before we even get out of bed so there is no help there. 

So I guess I am going to have to get up earlier, find and put on make up, and jazz things up with some jewelry. How would you guys take this? On one hand I know he is right, but on the other hand I felt a little upset. 

PS this is coming from a girl with make up, jewelry, and a layered cardigan with matching jewelry on today. LOL I figured Monday was the day to start! 

Re: So my DH tells me....

• Options
    Hmmm...I had to think about this a minute, but I think it is really nice.
    It is really cool that he came with a giftcard to go get some stuff as opposed to just saying that you needed to freshen up your look.

I would love if DH did that.  It is no secret that my daily black slacks and top and weekendly yoga pants and t-shirt need an update, so if he called it out and gave me a way to fix it, I would be happy.

• Options

I think it's sweet, but I can see maybe being a little taken aback at first.

Looking put together for me helps me feel more put together, so I say go for it.  I get up about 45 min earlier than DD so I can shower, do hair/ makeup and get dressed. 

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im sure you guys are right. I just A) hate spending money on over priced clothes and B) I really want to be comfortable and I HATE wearing dress pants. C) I need items that are easy and interchangeable with other outfits <-- these are hard to find sometimes!

Also I need someone to just go shopping for me. Honestly it's not really my thing. I would much rather shop home decor or things for DS.

Ok I think I am done complaining.... 
  • Options
    Im sure you guys are right. I just A) hate spending money on over priced clothes and B) I really want to be comfortable and I HATE wearing dress pants. C) I need items that are easy and interchangeable with other outfits <-- these are hard to find sometimes!

Also I need someone to just go shopping for me. Honestly it's not really my thing. I would much rather shop home decor or things for DS.

OK-- if I could pick any job in the world-- it would be a personal shopper.  I love shopping so much I am sure I have some sort of borderline mental condition.

Have you tried a pair of skinny dress pants?  They are so so so much less mumsy than the regular full leg/ boot cut dress pants.  And if you get a pair with a high % of spandex they are really quite comfortable.  And you can wear them with flats, heels, booties, tall boots...

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

OK-- if I could pick any job in the world-- it would be a personal shopper.  I love shopping so much I am sure I have some sort of borderline mental condition.

Have you tried a pair of skinny dress pants?  They are so so so much less mumsy than the regular full leg/ boot cut dress pants.  And if you get a pair with a high % of spandex they are really quite comfortable.  And you can wear them with flats, heels, booties, tall boots...

Um no. And you may have saved me b/c I love skinny jeans! I hate how normal dress pants look. I feel like i am much older than I actually am... where do you usually buys ones like this at?

Got any tips on tops? 
  • Options

GAP has great skinny dress pants!  I find that they don't work their way down like other skinny pants/jeans I have.  They look nice too.

I haven't done it, but Norstrom's has a personal shopper, no fee, that you can work with.  You can be honest about your budget and they will pick things out for you to try.

If that is too expensive, try outlet malls.  You live in Missouri, right?

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Options

JOTB-- my favorite "skinny" dress pants are these:

https://www.thelimited.com/product/exact-stretch-wide-waistband-skinny-pants/6439316.html?ppid=c10&start=10&cgid=pants&dwvar_6439316_colorCode=100

They are so comfy and look great (and I am short and sort of chubby, so if I think they look great on me, that's saying a lot.)  They run about a half size big and stretch a ton, so you could probably even size down one size.

Tops I tend to buy a bit cheaper (if I am just looking to add a few trendy pieces).  I like H & M, Forever 21, JCP, Target and Ann Taylor Loft.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Kohls is where I get all my clothing. They have fantastic sales and they stack coupons on top of that, so you get great stuff for next to nothing. Seriously, I always get the feeling I am stealing from Kohls when I shop there haha..

I would recommend getting one really comfortable pair of dark wash jeans(not black, eew)
    Also, dresses are so fast to throw on and look great if you get the right cut for your body. I can't wait for warmer weather to start wearing dresses again

You may want to get a pair of plain black flats that will go with virtually everything.

I don't know anything about dress pants, so I can't help there. I have never worked in an office setting.

I am a fan of simple, good quality clothing. Stuff that can be thrown on in a minute. I don't wear makeup, so I don't know how time consuming it is or have any tips really...except maybe get a lash curler. <3 those things :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Oh, I do have one really good tip. I used to have this issue where I would always just put on the most comfortable thing I had- which wasn't always the best looking. I actually had to force myself to throw out my old, ugly, comfortable stuff so that I can't wear it anymore. So now I have to look good when I leave the house, because my only ugly clothes that I have left are my PJ's
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'd almost want to know if he was truly covering up his feelings about that by tempting you with a gift card. Lol
    Idk.. Personally, I'd probably be taken aback. I don't remember the last time I really went shopping for myself but I have a crapton of clothes in all sizes. I SAH so sweatpants & comfy clothes are it for me. I don't wear makeup & haven't in the 11 years we've been together (besides a handful of events that pretty much just consisted of eyeliner) so that's something he tells me he loves about me. 
    As far as jewelry in particular, it would be more meaningful to me if he brought home a piece of something he liked for me & wanted me to wear instead of a gift card but that's just me though. I might be highly sensitive, Idk. I can understand your mixed feelings because it is kind of an out of the ordinary thing to say/do on his part. 
    This is kind of what I thought at first, but JOTB does work outside the home, and he only said "clothes and jewelry"  he didn't say anything about dolling up or anything about her physical looks, just to freshen up her wardrobe, know what I mean?

• Options
    I think he did just mean my clothes and accessories. I get my hair cut about every 3 months. I only added in i will try to put on make up b/c i usually don't wear any and i always get compliments when i do. 
  • Options
    I'd almost want to know if he was truly covering up his feelings about that by tempting you with a gift card. Lol
    Idk.. Personally, I'd probably be taken aback. I don't remember the last time I really went shopping for myself but I have a crapton of clothes in all sizes. I SAH so sweatpants & comfy clothes are it for me. I don't wear makeup & haven't in the 11 years we've been together (besides a handful of events that pretty much just consisted of eyeliner) so that's something he tells me he loves about me. 
    As far as jewelry in particular, it would be more meaningful to me if he brought home a piece of something he liked for me & wanted me to wear instead of a gift card but that's just me though. I might be highly sensitive, Idk. I can understand your mixed feelings because it is kind of an out of the ordinary thing to say/do on his part. 
    This is kind of what I thought at first, but JOTB does work outside the home, and he only said "clothes and jewelry"  he didn't say anything about dolling up or anything about her physical looks, just to freshen up her wardrobe, know what I mean?
    I guess I kind of interpreted "freshen up" with more than just wardrobe items. 
    I'd probably grill him & be like wtf do you actually mean?!
    Yeah, I would be like, "WAAHHHH YOU THINK I'M FAT!" !!!

• Options
    It did for a minute but then i remembered my body has changed from pregnancy. I weigh the same but shit is no in the same place LOL.
  • Options
    I am way late to this one, but I'll chime in anyway.  :)  

I think I would question him at first as to why he felt I need to "freshen my look".  But then I would be excited that he gave a gift card to go on a shopping spree!  The makeup thing isn't my style so if it were my DH I would take offense to him telling me I needed makeup.  However, if you are someone who normally wears/wore makeup then that is a different story.
    He didn't tell me that I needed it that was a personal decision. And yes I use to be a never leave the house with out it person. Now i am just more like eh whatever.... 
  • Options

While I think your DH is coming from a good place (nudging you to do something nice for yourself), I would probably be upset initially too. I hate shopping too, especially when I feel rushed. So, if I were you, I'd schedule a shopping day, maybe invite a friend along, and plan out which stores I'd visit and what exactly I'm looking for.

If you don't want to get up earlier, don't! Sometimes, I do my makeup in my car or in the bathroom once I get to work. Ok, most of the time I do that. It's usually all I can do to get DS out the door to daycare on time. My hair is cut in a "wash and wear" style so I don't even have to blow dry it. I try to plan out what I will wear the night before. Sleep is way more important to me than looking nice!

Have fun!

• Options
    I would probably take it the same way you did. Anyway, my husband is very direct. He says exactly what he's thinking. Over the years I've learned to love this about him but it took some getting used to. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Options

I am always able to find cheap jewelry at Burlington Coat Factory as well as nice cheap clothes.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Options

On line shopping is my best friend.  I detest shopping at stores and the mall.  Love the on line shopping, once you figure out your sizes.  Highly recommend and easy to do when the LO is sleeping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"