Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Climbing out of the crib?

So I have an adventurous climber that tried last night - almost successfully - to climb out of his crib.  There is a toy near his crib that I think he was pulling up on to help him get out; we're going to move that.  My question, though, what do I do if that doesn't work?  I don't feel that he is ready for his toddler bed yet.  I saw this absolutely adorable video of twins putting themselves to bed and the parents had some sort of net tent over the bed that looked like a fantastic solution, but I am now hearing that they have been recalled.  Has anyone else dealt with this?

I am attaching the video (hopefully) so that, 1, you can see the net that I'm talking about; and 2, it's Monday and sometimes we just need some cuteness on Mondays.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Climbing out of the crib?

• The tents are no longer sold because of safety concerns. Other options are (from simplest to most extreme):
    1. try using a sleep sack (Halo makes versions that have holes for the feet to come out if it bothers him to have them completely enclosed). They can still walk but it limits how high they can lift their legs.
    2.. If the front rail of the crib is lower than the sides and back rail, which is common, turn it aound so the lowest side is up against the wall.
    3. If your crib mattress is thick enough to leave no gaps above it, take the bottom off the crib and sit the mattress directly on the floor with the crib frame around it.

• I don't have much in the way of suggestions but when my DD had just turned 2 or so she successfully climbed out of her crib.  Not only out of her crib, but opened her door, opened the gate at the top of the stairs, walked down the stairs, and calmly came and joined DH and I in the kitchen.  We were very surprised because we'd never seen her do any of that before.  And she hasn't done it since.  I guess it got it out of her system because she's still in her crib and has not climbed out again.  

I'm sure this is the exception though and not the rule.  Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • that video was adorable! haha

ELF had great ideas.
  • Thanks for the feedback y'all!  Our crib is already as low as it will go.  We're thinking of removing the bottom and securing the mattress on the floor, as Elf suggested, or rednecking up some kind of contraption to raise the top.  

I have sleepsacks but DS hates them and all of the sides are pretty uniform in height.  We got rid of what he is pulling up on and removed the bumper from that part of his crib as well.  We just haven't had an opportunity to test it and see if that fixes it.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just lowered her mattress all the way down. I thought I had already done that but she leaned over to far one day and fell out and hasn't even tried to escape since. Luckily I was bending over beside her bed and my head broke her fall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"