December 2012 Moms
Options

Help me pack??

perfectlove09perfectlove09 member
edited February 2014 in December 2012 Moms
So we are going to Thailand on Monday. It's a long, ass, freaking flight. 11 hours to Tokyo and then 7 hours to Bangkok. We were going to split it up and fly on Sunday to Tokyo, stay the night and then leave the next evening to Bangkok. But of course that won't work now. We fly standby and the flight on Sunday is now too full for us to get on...so 18 hours of flying in one day.............Why not?

But I need help. We flew to Amsterdam when she was 3 months, and Florida when she was 9 months. But this is SO much longer and she's walking and eating more and into everything and restless...

I'm wondering about clothing I should pack for the plane, toys, food.

So far I have bought 3 books, 2 sticker books, a little tin purse to put some trinkets in. I also bought her a backpack that I was thinking we could put her stuff in...but now I'm wondering if I should return it and buy her one that's small enough she can put on her back. Obviously it would be VERY light but I don't know...the one I bought she certainly can't carry on her back, but I already have enough bags to store carry on things in. I guess I'm just wondering if it's worth bringing a separate backpack for her.
The books, stickers, and tin box I have hidden away so when she sees them for the first time they will be something she hasn't already played with.

For food...she's still nursing and the airline will give some food but we only feed her healthy food and airplane food isn't really known for that. I was thinking we could buy some pouches, maybe bring raisins, kashi crackers...but what else? I want her to have protein, fiber, you know...good food.

And what do I pack for her clothes on the plane. Should I bring a spit up rag for spills? Bib? ugh...I'm a little overwhelmed. Any help?

OH and does anyone have a carrier they can recommend? I know she'll want held a lot and I'm ok with that but I'd like a good carrier too.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
DD#1 December '12
DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
Married 07/09

Re: Help me pack??

• Options
    I can't even begin to recommend what to take for a flight that long. I've set a 3 hour cap on flying with DD. We went to Turks and Caicos in November and that is about as far as I can handle. But, I'm very jealous of your cool trip and the fact that you can fly for free.

Other than that, I have an Ergo that I love. Regarding the food I would probably bring the few things you mentioned and give her some airline food. It sounds like you are pretty picky about what she eats, but giving her airline food for a day is really not going to harm her. You have so many other things to worry about. I would give yourself a break on that one. Oh, make sure you bring yourself a change of clothes. You are probably doing this anyway given how long your flight is, but my niece threw up on my brother just as they got on the plane to fly from Florida to Hawaii and he was less than thrilled that he had to wear a throw up shirt the whole way.

I hope you have an amazing trip!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Holy cow...you are a brave woman!!!

I would for sure bring at least 1 change of clothes, maybe 2.  Bring a bib and burp cloth, maybe a few of those.  Food, you sound like you have it covered.  I wouldn't worry too much about bringing a big variety because with the pouches and crackers you will have enough protein and vitamins to cover it.  

Good luck!!! 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    perfectlove09perfectlove09 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful. I didn't think about those healthier toddler meals. We do so much organic, fresh, whole foods that I don't even look at meals in a box but I remember seeing them in that Happy Baby brand or something..I know there's a sun on the box lol. I'll have to pick some up.

Just looked up Aquadoodle! what a cool toy. Also didn't think about bringing extra clothes for me on the plane...duh.

I should mention...lol I'm all talking about feeding her only healthy and my siggy shows her eating ice cream :-) She just had a little bit for her one year photo shoot. That was her first taste of sugar that wasn't from eating a fruit. The only other sugar she's had was during her smash cake...
    Just in case someone thinks I'm full of shit lol
    :)>-
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    Did you or anyone else mention dried strawberries? know some people like them for kiddos. would rethink the tin box (just picturing her shaking it the whole flight making it rattle; would go with a mini zipper purse that will hold a small stuffed animal toy)

Maybe a smallish sized puppet? When we flew home from England, had a bunny puppet that kept me quite entertained (granted I was 4 and it required my parents to constantly "be" the rabbit)

For the carrier, don't have a reccomendation other than loking for something that is more breathable since you'd also use in Thailand & climate is warm/humid there.

Also, if you call the airline, you may still be able.to special order a meal (i.e. vegetarian, low salt, or a kids plate... some of the airlines are VERY maticulus about their food menus, esp for eaters with more limited diets. Seem to recall having more options for types of menus with the Thai airline) Think it has to be requested at least week in advace plus though. But then they usually still add the standard food tray as well (at least they were doing so last time I flew international but that was over 10 years ago so may have changes). Would provide you with more food choices (but being standby, they might not do that)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Whatever food you bring should be packaged. On an international flight, they might not let you take fruit. If you have one, an ipad/tablet or portable DVD player. And, seriously, benedryl. Knock that kid out for a bit if you can.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everything everyone has posted is great.  The only real thing I can add is that you can freeze sandwiches to eat later on in the flight, or if you get caught out and hungry while waiting for a transfer.  When we went to Greece (5 hour flight) I actually had women offer to hold onto DS and play with him.  They passed him around for about an hour and he loved all of the attention. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not a clue, esp since LO has been fighting the changes. Huggies does make an easy off diaper that pulls up and they come as small as size 3.

Would probably as for help/advice from the flight attendant because they'd probably be willing to prevent accidental poop releases or a toddler escaping mid change.

Cannot recall if there are diaper changing stations on the airplanes ....
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am late to this so best of luck on your flight! I used to live in Thailand and did that flight many times. You might already be done or en route.

Now we live in Africa and I just did the 2 6 hour flights with layover this past Wednesday. It felt long at times, but she kinds of kept me busy so in some ways it felt shorter.

For anyone in the future. Technology is a lifesaver. I have games on my iphone and kid songs tv shows. I got her baby safe headphones (which can be hit or miss) and she loves it. Better than any other toy out there. I think we will get an iPad when we go home to the us next time now that she is getting older.

We also give up on healthy food on planes. Anything to keep her happy and busy! I order her a kids meal and pack pouches, puffs, fruit snacks, anything she will like!
    1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
    #2 due 11/28/14
    2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

• Options
    I just flew with dd to fl and it was only a 3 hour flight. She was pretty good but the only thing that helped get through the flight was my iPad, Mickey and mini Oreos. I like her to eat healthy foods too but sometimes u got to pull out the big guns. She wanted to get down,run the aisle, and just be a toddler. Good luck on that long of a flight.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"