Working Moms

Lunch for your Nanny?

Do you provide lunch and snacks for your nanny?

Today is our Nanny's first day.. I made sure I had lunch made for my kids, but I didn't think about making sure there were a variety of options for the nanny?  When I was a teen and nannied for a family one summer I always brought my lunch, so I guess I'm just not sure what the etiquette is?

I had messaged our Nanny last night and just said that we keep a white board next to the fridge with our grocery list and that she could feel free to add whatever she wants to it.. and that she can help herself to whatever we have in the house.. and, I'm fine with that..

Just curious what the proper etiquette is.. should I make sure I always have something on hand for her?  And, if you do.. what are some things you stock?? DH and I typically take left overs for lunch.. or we keep a bag of salad in the fridge, or lean cuisines, so we don't often have too many "lunch options" stocked in the house..

Thanks in advance!
Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Lunch for your Nanny?

• We let ours have free access to anything at the house but she does sometimes bring her own.  She will eat leftovers when I specify they are up for grabs.  Or we make sure to have lunchmeat, etc.  We both bring our lunches so we usually have lunch items on hand. 

Also, having a nanny means you don't have to make your kids's lunches... that should be part of her duties I would imagaine :)  Just leave instructions.  Make sure you are keeping it simple.  Having a nanny means your life should be easier :)  Just a thought

• Our nanny brings her own lunch and snacks with her every day.   I have offered her to have our snacks, but she never does.  It was in her contract that she provide her own lunch.  We do get pizza for her and the kids every now and again, or if she takes them our to lunch, we provide her with money for them and her for lunch too.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto PSU - Having a nanny means you should not have to prep lunches.  When DS was little, I always made sure there was lunch food in the house and the nanny knew she could help herself to whatever, but I would say most of the time she brought her own food.  I think as long as she does not end up cleaning out the fridge, the nice thing to do is provide her with food.  As long as she did not go crazy with her wish list, I would be happy to buy her the foods she wants when she is there. 

• Our nanny brings her own lunch and she makes lunch for our kids.
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • We are vegetarians, our nanny is not.  I sometimes pick up cold cuts, other times meal options when at Costco and when weather is nice I'll leave some money for if they want to do pizza, Friendly's or lunch at deli to take to the park.

She cares for kids from 7-7 so I want her to be happy

• K3am said:
    And as someone on this board found out the hard way.. if you have something special for a special occasion, make sure that your nanny knows that, or you risk your kids getting filet.
    LOL!!! Seriously, this made me laugh.  I think it was 1/2 that the filets got cooked, and 1/2 HOW they got cooked - dredged in flour and pan fried!  Noooo!
  • I told mine that she was responsible for her own lunches mainly because we don't have a ton of food in the house. I said if we have food she's welcome to it but I didn't want to be making special grocery trips just for her stuff. I did ask what she likes and try to have it. She stores food at our house for herself which is fine with us.
  • I told mine that she was responsible for her own lunches mainly because we don't have a ton of food in the house. I said if we have food she's welcome to it but I didn't want to be making special grocery trips just for her stuff. I did ask what she likes and try to have it. She stores food at our house for herself which is fine with us.
    This is basically where I fall on this.  I'm bad enough as it is w/ keeping food stocked for US, the idea of having to make sure I also have food for a nanny.... no.

Especially as our nanny was part time!  It wasn't as on the forefront of my mind to think about what she might want.  She was welcome to leave stuff at our house if she wanted. 

But as I'm responsible for my own lumnch at work, I don't see why a nanny can't be responsible for her own too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"