January 2013 Moms
Options

Still nursing before bed ?

So DS is still nursing around 4 times a day.  I don't mind this at all and am glad we have been so lucky to continue.
I donated my stash to a momma in need without fully thinking it through and my pump is no longer cooperating with my body.  This means, we can't go out for the evening until I put him to bed.
We stopped bottles since he was never really a fan.  But now I can't see an end to not being able to leave before 7:30 pm.
Any tips?
Baby Boy born on 1/14/13

Re: Still nursing before bed ?

• Options
    I still nurse DS first thing in the morning, before his afternoon nap and then before bedtime, so it sounds like we're on a similar schedule to you.  I have left him overnight with my mom a couple times and have given her milk to offer him in a sippy cup.  He didn't want it though, so she just put him down without it.  She still went through the rest of his bedtime routine of bath time and books, but offered the cup instead of BF'ing.  She texted me the first time and I was so worried he would be starving, but he was fine.  

If you want to be gone during bedtime, maybe have someone else do the bedtime routine and offer a cup of cows milk. Since he's over one now, I wouldn't hesitate to offer cows milk in a cup at bedtime if I couldn't nurse and I didn't have any BM in the freezer.  At this age, I view nursing as an extra and not as crucial if DS misses or refuses a feeding.  

Last week he was sick, though, and didn't want to nurse as much, and I may or may not have cried a few times because I feared he was weaning himself.  His appetite is back, though, so I'm relieved.  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Options
    Just nurse earlier and change up the bedtime routine. 

DD nurses and goes to sleep at 6 PM but if we want to go out I nurse her earlier, say 5 PM instead. It has never impacted the time she wakes up so maybe try nursing at 6 instead of 730 and have him drink some water right before bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ben still nurses 5+ times a day. If we want to go out he will take a bottle of warmed WCM or formula and go right down.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I think I will try to have DH put him to bed without me and see how it goes.  If he can do it, then I will be comfortable with a sitter doing it.
    I have no problem with doing a milk alternative in a sippy cup before bed.  
    Do you typically warm it or leave it cold?
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    @lulamagoo: I'm glad you asked this. We left our son with a babysitter for the first time (not family) this month, and I was anguished that he might not take a bottle with breast milk. Everything worked out. The babysitter was able to rock him back to sleep when he woke up, and he had no interest in the bottle. It's all about comfort nursing for him now!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    We are still nursing a ton with no plans to stop. Baby will wean and change up the routine as baby is ready.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD still nurses on demand and most of the time to sleep. I'm hoping she'll wean herself when ready
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another vote for nursing on demand and hoping they wean on their own. :-) We just nurse at Naptime, nighttime and overnight now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're just nursing at bedtime and when DD first wakes up. If I'm gone during bedtime I've had my mom give her a bottle with formula once I ran out of my freezer stash. I've been thinking nex time were gone for bedtime that I would just try warmed WCM.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am trying to slowly wean but DD usually nurses 4-5 times a day still and always nurses before bed (though she typically goes down drowsy but awake). She has absolutely no interest in WCM, almond milk, coconut milk so BM is her only form of a calorie drink. Luckily she eats good and is 95th percentile for her age so I'm not too worried about her weight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"