Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Magic Merlin Sleep Suit- hands question

Our LO sleeps in a sleep suit because he rolls from back to tummy but doesn't roll the other way yet. I had to stop swaddling because he can roll on to his face and get stuck. Womp womp.

The MMSS works great, but I've noticed LO's hands are freezing. I put socks on his feet but should I do anything for his hands? Do you think he even cares?

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Magic Merlin Sleep Suit- hands question

• Options
    If he's sleeping his cold hands aren't bothering him..I used to worry about it too but my LO slept great, cold hands or not.
  • Options

This is not what you asked, but the website says they shouldn't use the suit if they can roll, period, so you might reconsider using it altogether.

As to your question, babies have poor circulation generally, so the fact that their hands get cold is not an indicator of how comfortable they are temperature-wise, though I agree it's kind of concerning as a parent to feel their icy hands in the morning.  At this age, though, babies use their hands to soothe themselves, so I wouldn't put anything over them.

@sing2phins Ah! No! I thought the point of the damn thing was that he has his hands in case he rolls over, ostensibly so he can push up off his face, but it stifles the startle reflex. Parenting fail on my part. He has been unable to roll over in the suit so far and we've been in it for 3 weeks, I think, so I thought it was working.

Sad face. What the heck should I have him sleeping in? If he's in a sleep sack with arms free he'll thrash around and roll to his tummy and get upset bc he can't flip back.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was under the impression that you should take them out of the MMSS only once they start rolling in it (not just rolling in general) but I could be wrong.  At that point I think the only option is to

This is not what you asked, but the website says they shouldn't use the suit if they can roll, period, so you might reconsider using it altogether.

As to your question, babies have poor circulation generally, so the fact that their hands get cold is not an indicator of how comfortable they are temperature-wise, though I agree it's kind of concerning as a parent to feel their icy hands in the morning.  At this age, though, babies use their hands to soothe themselves, so I wouldn't put anything over them.

I was under the impression that you should take them out of the MMSS only once they start rolling in it (not just rolling in general) but I could be wrong.  At that point I think the only option is to switch them into a sleep sack with arms out.  At least that's what our plan is. 

To answer your original question, last night was DS' first night in his MMSS and I put fleece mittens on him.  However he ended up taking them off and seemed to do just fine so I think I will leave them off.  Unless it is ridiculously cold in the room I wouldn't worry!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    @kfran84 I know; it does seem like having his hands is the most important part WRT swaddling and rolling, and the warning might just be a liability thing on the manufacturer's part (damn lawyers, always gotta make things difficult), but I wanted to mention it to be on the safe side.

We're having the same struggle about what to do when we stop swaddling.  Maggie doesn't roll over yet, but we think she's close.  Daycare swears they just lay her in her crib with her paci and she falls right to sleep, but we tried that this weekend with just an arms out sack and got 15 minutes tops out of her; when we swaddled, we got 90.

There's a thing called a Zip a Dee (I think) that's supposedly ok for rolling, but @cagoldi said it didn't work for her LO - maybe she can chime in on why.
    Hey my fellow N13 lovelies.

Zippadee Zip didn't work well for us. It covered his hands, which he wants to put in his mouth, so he just ended up sucking on the sleeves and drenching those.

We aren't dealing with a startle reflex issue in his case. He wants to roll and even try to sit up in his sleep and is getting frustrated and waking himself up. He is not really close to sitting up unassisted, either. He just lifts his head and arms and tries to pull himself up but he's a long way off from that at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"