Working Moms
Options

California - Paid Family Leave

Hi all,

Has anyone in California used PFL insurance in combo with FMLA or whatever policy their company has? I don't technically qualify for FMLA due to the location and size of our office in relation to the home office, but my company is kindly giving me the same essential FMLA benefits. I'll have six weeks fully paid and another 6 weeks with a combo of PTO and unpaid leave. However a few people told me about PFL - is this something I could use for the last six weeks? I'm assuming it's not related to my company's policy and is something I'd need to do through the state. Just curious if there is anyone who has used this. I'm looking at the website and fact sheet now and you can definitely use it for "bonding with a new child."

Thanks!

Southern California
Together for six years, married for five
BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: California - Paid Family Leave

• Options
    Thank you so much for this info. I don't have Kaiser, but I do have a great HR lady at our home office I could ask about this. She knew I was going to use PTO and unpaid leave for those last six weeks, but maybe she's unaware of this option and I can get more info from her. It would be great to still have my sick and vacation days available to me this year, and even 50% of pay with PFL would help!

Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you happen to have Kaiser, they were super helpful in explaining the process to me. Much better than our office manager or the EDD website was
    This. My company's HR department has been totally useless on this issue, partly because I'm in the CA office but the main corporate headquarters is not (it sounds like your situation may be similar). The Kaiser medical claims/release of information office was VERY helpful, one of the benefits of having a one-stop-shop HMO with lots of CA experience! 

Another thing to remember is that while CA State Disability (SDI) is non-taxable, Paid Family Leave *is* taxable. So they can either withhold taxes from your payments, or they will send you a 1099 for next year's tax season. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"