Nurseries and Baby Gear

upgrading gear for a second child

Hi Ladies. I'm expecting my second baby in October. My first will be a little over two. I feel like I already have pretty much all the gear I'll need, with a few exceptions (We didn't find out the gender of the first so most of the stuff is gender neutral). I'm wondering what you mamas of 2+ Found necessary to upgraded/purchase/repurchase for your second (for example, a double stroller). Also, did you move your first to a big kid room so the baby could have the nursery or decorate a new nursery for the baby?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: upgrading gear for a second child

• We got a double stroller (city select) and made 2 nurseries because number one loved his crib and i didnt want to deal with a not sleeping toddler as well as a newborn, we are 5 months into having 2 kids (exactly 2 years apart) and i love both of my decisions, baby is now in his crib sleeping great and big bro hasnt had to deal with as many changes...other than that we are using all of the same gear, i did get a new play mat because i didnt like our first one..good luck :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Baby #2 is not here yet, but they will be 22 months apart. We bought all the big things in gender neutral colors so we don't need much. We did get a double stroller (city select) because my DD still loves the stroller. We will also get a new crib and dresser because DD is an excellent sleeper in her crib and I am not messing with that until I have to! Those are really the only things I think we will need, except for a 2nd convertible car seat down the road because DD will obviously still be in hers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We got a double stroller (city select) and made 2 nurseries because number one loved his crib and i didnt want to deal with a not sleeping toddler as well as a newborn, we are 5 months into having 2 kids (exactly 2 years apart) and i love both of my decisions, baby is now in his crib sleeping great and big bro hasnt had to deal with as many changes...other than that we are using all of the same gear, i did get a new play mat because i didnt like our first one..good luck :)

We did the same other than the stroller for my boys who are 19 months apart. I did a Valco Snap Dual...that we love. It's a side by side but it's only 3 inches wider than the City Select and weighs a ton less. We had to buy a bunch of clothes this first year because the boys were opposite seasons and new bottles. I also bought a Baby K'tan and an Infantino Ergonomic carrier for baby wearing. The K'tan was a fail for me but the other one worked. Great for things like grocery shopping.

If you don't have one I rec a Snap N Go stroller for quick trips like the pharmacy where your toddler will want to walk and the baby is sleeping.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • We're going to have a bigger spread in age (3-1/2 years), but they are both boys, so we're able to reuse all clothing, decor, etc. We did get a new, fancier stroller, but not a double because DS1 is pretty much done with strollers. We went with the Baby Jogger City Versa and a glider board for DS1 when we really need him to ride along. There are some things that weren't on the market with DS1 that we'll be purchasing (Rock N Play, Kiinde Twist BFing system, new bottles, A&A burpy bibs), but other than that we're only replacing some crib sheets that were worn out. DS1 is already in a "big boy room", so we're making our third bedroom into a guest room/nursery for DS2. That room is much bigger than DS1's room, so eventually we plan to room both boys together in there, but we didn't want to do it right away. We'll probably do that once DS2 goes to a toddler or twin bed.
  • We also got a city select. I'm going to check on the nipples for our dr brown bottles, some were getting stretched so we'll likely replace since the flow level will be off. Our old video monitor broke, so we'll get a new one. New diaper bag for fun mostly. We disliked our bottle warmer, so we'll try a new brand. I may get a beco gemini carrier,but unsure. I'm checking in with my insurance company to see about a free breast pump. I bought a lasinoh double electric last time, but would love to try a Medela or Ameda. I also got an Ubbi diaper pail cause I was so over the diaper champ. I'm hoping the steel can will smell less.
  • New nipples for the bottles, new bibs (mostly because the ones we had left were in bad shape from feeding solids) and a new boppy cover. 

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• New nipples for bottles. We need to buy more bottles (and buy or borrow one of most everything else twins this time around).

We'll let our toddler keep her room. She's already losing her bed. We don't want to torment her too much.
  • I'm pregnant with #2 and they will be about 19 months apart.

We are moving DD to the bigger bedroom that is currently our spare room/office. For the most part, everything in her nursery is going with her..she's still in a crib that will convert when necessary. All th decor is going as well. We are leaving the Ikea Hemnes dresser in the nursery. It's a great height for the changing pad as well as the glider. We have a dresser for DD's big girl room.

We bought another crib, new nipples for the bottles, a second camera for our video monitor since we still use it a ton. I'm holding off on a double stroller until we figure out if we really need it. I wore DD a ton when she was little and we have a UBV and UB G luxe already...so we'll wait until we find its a necessity

• This baby is getting a new dresser, and a new carseat. We got a new double stroller and really wanted a seat that was compatible w the stroller. So Id say that my biggest splurge. I sold most of dds bedding to buy some new sheets for this baby, and we arempainting the nursery. Oh, and new boy clothes too! But were using the same bottles, swing, jumper, etc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• We are buying a ton of new stuff. Before having DD, we thought we would only have one. So we went pink-tastic. Of course, this one is a boy. Lol. Luckily, when she was still really small, we decided we wanted a second. We still occasionally had a pink relapse but got much more gender-neutral. (Exception: DH bought a pink car walker. He was just certain Baby #2 would be a girl.) But all the newborn stuff, and things like diaper changing pad covers, we are replacing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"