Special Needs

Gfcf questions

I know there's not a lot of us here--does anyone know of a forum about this specifically? I've found a few but they seem pretty dead. Anyway hoping someone can help. So far so good with getting rid of casein. Definitely noticed less sensory behaviors along with less bloating so it was Impacting her more than I realized. My big issue currently is loose stools. We've added hemp to make up the protein missing from her dairy products and that plus the large amount of fruits and veggies she eats makes her stool loose. She refuses all meat and I'm at a loss how to help combat the high fiber. Any thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gfcf questions

• Bananas? They tend to back things up with DS...

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Bananas? They tend to back things up with DS...

That's her morning snack everyday. Hasn't helped. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • My recommendation would be rice, in addition to bananas.  This will also help you out if you choose to go gluten free as well, since it is a gluten free food.  Also, I would love to hear if you find a great GFCF site-my son went GF 7 weeks ago, and we have seen major, major improvements in all areas.  We are thinking of doing CF free as well, but he doens't have loose stools so we aren't sure that the benefits will outweigh the major food group reduction. 

• edited February 2014
    awinky82 said:

My recommendation would be rice, in addition to bananas.  This will also help you out if you choose to go gluten free as well, since it is a gluten free food.  Also, I would love to hear if you find a great GFCF site-my son went GF 7 weeks ago, and we have seen major, major improvements in all areas.  We are thinking of doing CF free as well, but he doens't have loose stools so we aren't sure that the benefits will outweigh the major food group reduction. 

We've been gluten free for over a year now though my dd has a diagnosed case of celiac disease. It helped her immensely--she pretty much ignored people and mouthed toys instead of played with them and she had some huge improvements in just the first month. We eliminated cows milk at the same time because we knew her tummy was so sensitive but did continue to use yogurt and cheese. When we saw sensory behaviors returning and the distended belly we knew she was reacting to something and figured dairy was the likely culprit. I probably wouldn't do casein free unless there was some gi issue--I think its harder than gluten free. Rice is a good idea--maybe I'll grab some rice milk and mix that with her smoothies. She won't eat plain rice and is inconsistent with eating brown rice pasta.
  • When we did gfcf, i consulted with a nutritionist who specialized in autism and dietary needs. I remember getting recipes for things like chick pea burgers that were high in protein and meat free. Also various high protein smoothies that had rice protein powder in them. It was definitely difficult and everything required ingredients that you do not normally just have around the house, but thats gfcf, which Im sure you're used to by now.
  • Rice milk should help. I went casein/whey/soy free when I was nursing DS and rice milk was definitely constipating.

Thanks for starting the thread. I've been curious about GFCF diet. I don't know if I can do it for DS right now because he is going through an extremely picky stage and GFCF would remove a lot of what he is eating.

He had a casein/whey/soy sensitivity as an infant but got over them by 15 months. He doesn't have any GI issues except some gas/occasional constipation so I'm not sure if it makes sense at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited February 2014
    bliss611 said:
    Rice milk should help. I went casein/whey/soy free when I was nursing DS and rice milk was definitely constipating.

Thanks for starting the thread. I've been curious about GFCF diet. I don't know if I can do it for DS right now because he is going through an extremely picky stage and GFCF would remove a lot of what he is eating.

He had a casein/whey/soy sensitivity as an infant but got over them by 15 months. He doesn't have any GI issues except some gas/occasional constipation so I'm not sure if it makes sense at all.

I also have a child with a limited diet and it is very difficult. We have to do smoothies to make up calories and nutrients she doesn't eat. Since your child had sensitivity to those items in the past it might be worthwhile to try.
  • edited February 2014
    McRib said:

I wish there was a more biomed autism type of group on the bump. I am on a bunch of facebok groups that I am happy to share with you- some are solely diet oriented, some are about all interventions. I would say that when there is gluten sensitiviity there is often milk (as you're seeing) we've also done well to get rid of soy and corn which can also be problems with spectrum kids.

Have you read about the GAPS diet? That's a pretty good book. Also Special Diets for Special Kids, and I loved the Karyn Seroussi book Unraveling the Mystery of Autism. Cutting sugar was also a biggie for us but we can't do it completely (thus the nystatin).

Bliss, when I took my kiddos off gluten and dairy they suddenly wanted to eat all sorts of foods. so I'd just try it.

KC, have you looked into testing IgG food sensitivities? We pulled all IgG foods (a naturopath or wellness/holistic or DAN can do this) and the loose stool stopped. We also use a supplement called neuroprotek but I think getting those food sensitivities out of the diet and treating the yeast have made the biggeset difference. An allergist will only look for IgE foods (true allergies).

I suppose there could be something else she's reacting to but I really think its unlikely. She really only mostly eats fruits and vegetables. She eats veggie sticks daily but I've tried eliminating them, no change plus they're really only potato flour and vegetable flours. Rice chex could be a possibility, but I can't imagine rice is a common allergen. She's just replaced the calories she would have eaten of yogurt and cheese with more fruits and veggies doused in extra Virgin olive oil to make up some fat/calories. I really think the stool issue is due to fiber.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"