School-Aged Children

Can we talk underarm hair and puberty? **UPDATE**

ppantsppants member
edited February 2014 in School-Aged Children

DD was drying off after a bath yesterday and I noticed she has a very small amount (1 long hair on one side, and a couple of smaller hairs on the other) of hair under her arms.  She just turned 8 a couple of weeks ago.  She will be seeing her pedi for a yearly check-up soon and I will mention it at that time.  From what I found online, it seems like it may be in the normal time frame.  What was your experience with DD and puberty once armpit hair appeared?  Any advice as she contines this transformation?  We talked about bodies for quite a while, but will need to delve in deeper soon it seems.

Update:  DD has been in the 45-46% for height for a few years.  She jumped up to the 60%.  Because of this, the dr ordered a wrist xray to check to make sure she wasn't experiencing premature puberty.  It was normal thankfully.  We'll just keep on eye on her to see how she continues to develop.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: Can we talk underarm hair and puberty? **UPDATE**

• Thanks for the reply.  It seems that it can be a couple of years still before they get a period even after the onset of hair.  From my reading, it seems like boys can get hair beginning around your boys' ages, but they are typically behind girls.  I'm trying to mentally prepare. 
  • She is caucasian and an average sized girl.  Just wondering what others experienced with their DDs along the puberty timeline.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD was more like 11, but she is blonde and has fine hair.  I have a friend whose daughters started wearing deodorant and getting armpit hair around 8 or 9.  Both of these girls did not show any other signs of puberty (breasts, getting taller, acne) until around 5th or 6th grade.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I started to get arm pit hair & breast buds about 10.  I didn't start my period until 14 or right before 14 so for me armpit hair & breast buds didn't equal full blown puberty.  Of course, if you are concerned or curious ask her Pedi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She doesn't have breast buds yet at least. As I said in OP, I will mention it to dr at her yearly check up next week. Thank you all for the replies.
  • I would try not to worry too much.  My DD is almost 9.  We noticed body odor at 4 and her first few underarm hairs at 6.  We took her to the dr, had a wrist x-ray to assess bone growth as well which was normal.  She does have a small amount of pubic hair now but no other signs.  She has premature adrenarche which is totally unrelated to premature puberty.  This could be the case for your DD too.  Her Dr. thinks she will probably go through puberty at a normal time.  From what I've read, most kids who are entering puberty, get breast buds first, then start with the body odor, hair ect.  If you are just seeing signs of adrenal activation (acne, hair, body odor) it can happen completely independent of puberty.  Menstruation isn't related to these signs.  This typically occurs 1-2 years after breast buds which is a true sign of puberty.  HTH!
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"