Multiples

What would you do re: hospitals

I had a bad birthing experience with my son 4 years ago. I ended up chalking it up to my need to control. After reading y'all's stories on here, I am starting to think, no so much. The hospital that I gave birth for my first and plan to give birth for the twins this time seems behind the times. I had to fight to keep a bra on, fight to not have an IV at first, my nurse had 2 inch long nails, and the bed was ultra un-comfortable. I think a lot of these things lead to my labor not progressing, I was not in a good state of mind. Seeing these stories of monitoring 10 min out of every 30, using nitrous for early pain control and in general being mobile, I am starting to think I need to change hospitals. I am 19 weeks, would you change hospitals and possibly doctors just so you could have a better birthing experience?

Re: What would you do re: hospitals

• Yes, yes I would. The nurse with 2 inch long nails handeling a newborn is creeping me out! Sorry you went through that.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not the newborn but the cervix checks were really really painful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, definitely. I almost switched hospitals to get a private room, so I say it's way worth it for a better birth experience. Take a tour and ask questions.

• I switched at 31w b/c of concerns I had with my first dr and hospital. I don't regret it at all. For me, yes, it was worth it to switch to a better birthing experience, as long as you're getting good care and good multiples experience at the place you switch to.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Palan said:
    Not the newborn but the cervix checks were really really painful.

Cruel and unusual punishment!

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I chose my hospital based on their scores and successes with high risk deliveries, and their NICU reputation. Labor and delivery is about the safety and wellbeing of my children, not about having the most enjoyable birth I can - birth is one day out of their lives, but it is a crucial one - the hospital's ability to safely bring my children into the world and to care for them if there were any complications were paramount to any "birth experience" I could dream up.

That said, I think your concerns are valid reasons to investigate other hospitals, for sure. A hospital that allows a nurse to wear potentially hazardous nails, alone, is a red flag to me o.O
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Is there another option close by that would be better in terms of your concerns?

I didn't have a lot of options, but a high level NICU ultimately decided where I would deliver (since the local hospital couldn't handle their level of lung prematurity). So NICU would be most important, but if travel times, doctors, etc were all equal, I don't see a reason not to switch if you have concerns.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • I actually have a number of choices, 2 hospitals with great NICUs if needed, one of them is where I think I will choose. Both of these choices are just a little farther away from home but we are talking about 15 miles compared with 5 miles for the current hospital. I think my OB has privilages at one of the others as well.
  • Absolutely!  Especially since you've been through this before and now have a better idea of what to look for.  I wish I had done more research into my options beforehand, but since everything was so new I didn't know what questions to ask or even that there were options available.  
  • Switch.  If you aren't happy with the care that is given and your simple requests are not met, switch!  WTH was wrong with your choice about your bra?  Why were they fighting you about that?  It's not like the baby was coming out of your boobs and you were blocking the way!  SMH

• The bra was about EKG pad placement. I am very large breasted and was not comfortable without a bra, as I hoped to walk around but that was frowned upon as well. Thanks all, I will talk about switching with my OB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"